“Nice spot in San Jose”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“Nice spot in San Jose”
Reviewed 14 May 2012

A lovely and quirky place to stay in San Jose. Central location, decent rooms and interspersed garden areas. The courtyards can be noisy if people don't monitor their noise / phone calls late so something to bear in mind if you're a light sleeper.

The buffet breakfast was nice - omelettes made to order, fresh fruit, baked goods, cereals and a choice of cold and hot drinks.

The staff were friendly, helpful and were welcoming too.

I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liz W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Arabic first
Trinidad
Reviewed 12 May 2012

front desk staff at your service! Bravo!
custom made tours just to suit our travel timing!
Alex: perfect driver to see the country
Just a wonderful experience

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sweegee
Brevard, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Hotel Aranjuez, is a charmer of a hotel, with lots of nooks and cranies, patios and gardens, and the best buffet breakfast in Costa Rica. You dine in a garden setting. The staff was very helpful and we took their Tortuguero tour, which we thought was excellent and a great value. We stayed at Hotel Aranjuez on four separate occasions. Upon our arrival in Costa Rica (San Jose) we stayed two nights in a superior room, which was fine, except the only hot water was in the shower.

On the other three occasions we were in older, standard rooms. On the morning that we were to catch an early morning flight, I got up at 4:00 am and turned on the hot water faucet in the shower to shave. The shower floor in Room Number 24 was about eight inches below the floor of the very compact bathroom. When I tried to step in with my right foot, I slipped on the wet floor and slid all the way across the shower floor, and really did a number on my knees and ankles. Thank goodness I didn't break anything. There was no non-skid mat in the shower.
My advice don't book room number 24. In addition to the shower problem, it is very noisy and you can hear people in adjacent areas all hours of the night. I strongly suggest booking a superior room.

Also, it is quite a long trek to the downtown restaurants and attractions from Hotel Aranjuez, although there is a branch of the Bank of Costa Rica nearby. You may want to make liberal use of taxis for your transportation.

Room Tip: Choose a superior room, and, if you can, try to see if before reserving.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Quertosomo
Pahoa, Hawaii
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I arrived at this hotel harried and overwhelmed. Arriving from the Panama border, my backpack had inadvertently been left by the bus company at the border! I was panicked and extremely distraught. The incredibly kind man who checked me in, Gregory, spoke flawless English and was determined to get to the bottom of the matter. And he did with utmost care and concern for me until my backpack and I were re-united the next day. I remain very grateful to him.

The hotel is lovely, beautiful little sitting areas all around and my room was simple and yet had everything I could want. The warm color schemes everywhere also gave the entire place a homey and cozy feeling. Everything is very well maintained and cleaned constantly.

As has been mentioned by many other reviewers, the breakfast is nothing short of amazing - certainly the best I've had throughout my Central American travels and set in a gorgeous garden setting.

Aranjuez is a wonderful oasis in a city like San Jose and it was the best choice I could have possibly made in the crisis I found myself in. Even if I hadn't been in such a state, Aranjuez is still a fabulous choice!

No need to look any further in San Jose - stay at the Aranjuez and you'll be glad you did!

Room Tip: All the rooms are different. Mine was great. Ask to see different ones - the ones I peeked into were...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This hotel seems to be very well known by travelers who look for great value and wonderful service. The taxi we took at the airport (regular, orange cab) took us straight to the place; our reservation was in place and our room was ready. Spot clean. It's a conglomerate of 5 antique houses with the special charm that it's easy to get lost but one finds the exit right away. The patios are lovely. The personell is knowledgeable and friendly. They organized our excursion to Tortuguero right away, although it was Good Friday when in Costa Rica even the dogs take vacation. The hotel is well located in a popular but friendly neighborhood. You can walk several circuits pointed out on their map, or take a short ride to downtown in a cab they will call for you. When we got back from our 2-week visit to other places, we wanted to stay with them but they were fully booked. Too bad, but we got to stay at a wonderful hotel (4 times the price, though). If you don't want to spend that much, the people at Aranjuez will point you to many other hotels in the neighborhood. But nonce compare to Aranjuez. And, by the way, their breakfast in the garden is world known, rightly so,

Room Tip: Their reservation process is, lets say, "original", but go through it. It guarantees your...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aventurero2010
Jaco, Costa Rica
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stayed 5 nights in Hotel Aranjuez due to a previous booking and no where else to go. I would have left after one night. The neighborhood was seedy, parking was very very difficult (don't take a car), the walls were paper thin, the wood floors were like a drum with high heels & children playing. The desk people were helpful to a point. The breakfast was OK. The rooms are mostly without windows, dreary, and dark. Yes, it is cheap but sometimes you get what you pay for.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank budd113
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel for arriving and departing San Jose during a 2 week trip with my parents. I have been in Costa Rica for 2 1/2 years and wish that I had found this hotel sooner. I have stayed in private rooms in hostels for the same price that you can get a room in this hotel, which is quite frankly rediculous for the quality of the room and experience here.
The rooms are excellently kept and the staff were extremely helpful with trying to assist us in our every need. Breakfast is simply extraordinary, I would happily pay extra for the buffet they supply, but it is included in the price of the room. I have never had so much choice of things to eat in the morning!
If I am ever in San Jose again, I know where my first port of call will be.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family