Hotel Don Carlos
US$127
US$87
US$81
US$66
Barcelo San Jose(San Jose)
  • Breakfast included
US$70
US$65
  • Breakfast included
US$95
All reviewsjade museuma large gift shopreal charmcosta ricalocal artistscharming hotelwelcome cocktailthree blocksnooks and cranniesinner courtyardchain hotelsold mansionrooms are largeeasy walking distanceseparate nightsquiet streetrecommend this hotel to anyone
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Hotel Don Carlos is unique in that it was the home of two presidential families. They are small and have a nice restaurant with good food. They include a very nice breakfast buffet with great fresh fruit and good food. They also have computers with free Internet access.

Room Tip: We had two different rooms, one before our tour and one after, and both were very noisy. I am not sure there is a quiet room there.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I was apprehensive about staying here after reading several reviews complaining about the noise but my stay was extremely pleasant. I loved the fact that this hotel was the base of scientists who started the ecotourism movement in Costa Rica. The history of this wonderful country can be felt in every room with the art, architecture and antiques. It is a series of houses linked together and there are several places to squirrel away some time reading or chatting with fellow travellers. It is a good neighborhood for walking at daytime but be careful after dark. Don't walk alone.

Room Tip: Pay for a superior room so you have a window. Try to get a room at the back of the facility on the second or third floor. Rooms close to the road are noisier.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carol P
Reviewed 27 February 2014

When I first walked into the lobby, I was taken aback by the beauty of this hotel.There was art EVERYWHERE! And not cheesy hotel art either. There were beautiful wood carvings, colorful stained glass windows, and vibrant paintings all throughout the hotel. The jewelry displays from the gift shop had some gorgeous, affordable pieces, too.

The staff was absolutely charming and professional. They made me feel appreciated as a guest. My room was super clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was very modern with HOT WATER!!!! Something I missed while staying elsewhere. I figured after a week and a half of budget accommodations, I could splurge on a nicer hotel and I'm glad I did. the room was very quiet, too, so I got a great night of sleep both nights.

I was given meal and drink vouchers. The food was really good, too! They also helped set up a Volcan Arenal tour with a visit to Tabacon Hot Springs. Listen to me when I tell you, take this tour! I was in awe with the beauty of the volcano and have never been anywhere so magical as the hot springs. It is a happy place I go to when having a crappy day.

I highly recommend staying at this lovely hotel! I will definitely stay here next time I'm in San Jose.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank rrenfro12
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Our family of 4 spent 2 separate nights as we were traveling through San Jose. The location is in an older, historic part of the city. The decor is unique and interesting with many nooks to explore filled with interesting local art work. The staff were very friendly and helpful. You can exchange money at the going bank rate. The breakfast buffet was great with lots of choices. Our room was a family suite (2 rooms separated by a bath) on the 3rd floor. It was clean and comfortable although might be hard to access for anyone with mobility problems. If you have difficulty climbing stairs, you may want to ask for a ground floor room as there are no elevators available. Overall, a wonderful place in a bustling, noisy city.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent one night here - the management and staff were courteous and helpful and every pass in the hallway was met with a smiling "pura vida!". Enjoyed the beautiful cool patios with lovely water features and wonderful local artisan tiles and sculptures. Ask the manager about them. There's a great story to be told here. Our standard room was comfortable and roomy enough, on 3rd floor. Coffee and food in restaurant were exceptional.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business