“nice, but choose your room carefully”
Review of Hotel Don Carlos

Hotel Don Carlos
Ranked #14 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 10 September 2010

This hotel is very charming, great location and the price is right. It's private and there's a beautiful courtyard in the back. Avoid the rooms in the stairwell, they are noisy and small. The staff was very accomodating and friendly. My first night there was disrupted by teenagers running in the stairwell and talking loudly until 3 am, then staff arrives at 5 am, and you hear EVERYTHING. After expressing my complaint in the morning and asking for a different room, the clerk graciously apologized and offered me a deluxe suite at the same price, and didn't charge me for the first night. I had stayed at this hotel in the past (NOT in the stairwell rooms), and will definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 23 July 2010

I have stayed in this hotel twice. The first time was great, but the second time was very scary. I was swarmed by termites, and the staff really did not care. They finally moved me into another room at 3:00am. Two of my colleagues had things stolen by the cleaning staff, but the management shrugged it off. The hotel has lots of charm and a great restaurant and gift shop, but I will never stay there again. The internet was also very spotty and slow. You can hear everyone in the hallways, so bring earplugs.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank dsbu00
Reviewed 9 July 2010

Excellent staff and amazingly clean location make this colonial charmer a great find. The beds are not comfortable but the setting, the restaurant, and the staff more than make up for this short coming. This is the perfect home base for 1-2 day stay in the capitol of san jose. Its centrally located to the museum of jade and gold (walking distance) and has a secure parking area. I would stay here again. The staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Overall, a fantastic value if you're not to fussy. Hotel Don Carlos is located in Barrio Amon which is easy walking distance or a cheap cab ride to most of downtown San Jose. It was easy to walk to Avenida Central and take the pedestrian only section in. While we were underwhelmed with anything offered in San Jose, we appreciated the ameneties here. The service was personal, professional and superb. The price for that service was very reasonable $90. With that came free secured parking, and free internet (although it didn't work in the room). The hotel restaurant was nice and very fairly priced. Try the coconut flan, it was delicious. The Hotel had an interesting space with lots of art and interesting historical artifacts, as well as interesting open patio areas, etc. I would recommend it as a starting or ending point for anyone at the beginning or end of the trip. The hotel can also arrange tours, etc for you if you're interested in that. They were very very helpful regarding any question we had, directions, suggestions, etc. Regarding the rooms, they need a bit of work. The bed was incredibly uncomfortable, and we can generally sleep anywhere. Our ceiling fan made racket all night long, but it was too hot without it. The TV in the room (during the world cup) was at least 25 years old and had no remote control

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 June 2010

My husband and I stayed at the "Don Carlos" for 3 nights while on holiday in Costa Rica. I had read the reviews here and agree with most of what was expressed by other posters. It is a large, charming colonial style house in central San Jose - our room faced a gentleman`s club. On arrival, we were given a choice of 2 rooms and we thought this was a nice gesture! The room was really spacious with antique style furniture making it different from other hotels - I really liked it.
We had breakfast and was good, my husband loved the rice with black beans... We also had dinner once and enjoyed the food.
The only minor "complaint" was we didnt think it was a 4 star hotel as they advertise it and $100 a night wasnt exactly great value for money - otherwise, a pleasant stay with friendly and courteous staff.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2010

Hotel Don Carlos is like a Jewel in the dust of San Jose. The rooms are big and the restaurant is so nice and romantic. Service is just excellent! I really recommend to go there.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2010

Built around a historic house near the San Jose business district, you can't knock the place for lack of character. There are a couple of attractive courtyards, and a lot of repro and original antiques as well as a lot of shall we say, colourful, art. The property is expansive, set over many floors and a couple of adjoining buildings, and all rooms are different. Ours was large, with two queen beds, perfectly OK for a one-night stopover with two children but eat, sleep, have breakfast and leave was about the limit of our aspirations for this hotel.

It;s quite a way from the buzzing centre, and it was suggested to us that a taxi is the safest way of reaching it at night - so we stayed put, also being tired from our trip; the restaurant was fine, even if service was so slow on my food that the family had eaten and left (at my suggestion - small ones were exhausted) before my main course arrived. Breakfast was good.

The front desk staff were exceptionally friendly, allowing us to do a long-distance call on Skype.

So, fine as a stopover, quirky, comfortable, clean, but a bit odd.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family