“Beautiful !”

Ranked #40 of 84 Hotels in San Jose
Auburn, Alabama
“Beautiful !”
Reviewed 30 December 2011

This is a gem of a small hotel. Great staff, beautiful room, with outside table and 2 chairs, huge bathroom, grounds manicured lots of flowers. Restaurant was excellent, huge portions, ordered a green salad before my meal, large enough for 2 people. Will be my first choice for a stay in San Jose next time ! I had to leave at 5:30 am, at 5:00 am they delivered a pot of wonderful coffee with steamed milk. ( I was going to miss breakfast, so they offered to deliver coffee .)
It is about 20 - 25 minutes from SJO, but that would not stop me from staying again.

Room Tip: I stayed in # 7, end of a hallway, quiet and roomy.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Boucherville, Canada
Reviewed 26 December 2011

A beautiful little hotel with very nice gardens. The kitchen and lobby area with a view of the surrounding gardens was very appreciated.

The staff was very helpfull on the selection of nearby tours and restaurant. We actually dinned at the hotel on Xmas Eve and on Xmas and the food was very good.

The only improvement I would recommand is to install air conditionning or air filtering to remove the humidity in the room and everything that goes with it! If you have arthrisis, I recommand to select another hotel.

Overall, we had a nice stay!

Jean-Pierre

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank jphusereau
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 20 December 2011

We booked this hotel based on past reviews, and it did not dissappoint.the food was good, Eric the bartender was terrific. My only complaint was that at 7 am on a saturday morning, housekeeping started working outside our room, and slamming doors, while at 8 am, she started vacuuming the floors and the room next door. This does not work when the floors are wood or tile. Could they not train them to start after 9 am, especially on a weekend? It was because of this and the size of the rooms that I could not give it a 5 star rating.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms from #25-28. They all have nice private garden views
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank steelpanwoman
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 2 December 2011

This hotel is located on the east side of San Jose, which is not great if you are coming from the airport. The desk staff was very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was average, and the room was also fairly average. Good, but not great, and in my opinion not a very good location.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ctcharle
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 November 2011

The staff are friendly and helpful, but beyond that... it's difficult to know how this place compares. Price wise it's probably a good value but the rooms are just basic and the bed and linens are rather ... mediocre.

Location is fine, it's in a quiet neighborhood. You can walk to a number of decent restaurants. Most travelers aren't going to be in San Jose for very long, since most people seemed to overnight in SJ as a transition to leaving or arriving and the immediate attractions show it. It's not a toursit destination like the great plazas of Mexico so don't plan on spending too many nights in SJ. Get a good nights sleep and get going to the other beautiful regions of Costa Rica.

Pura Vida.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aketada
simpaticos, General Manager at Hotel Le Bergerac Boutique, responded to this review, 25 November 2011
Dear Guest,

We are happy to read that you have enjoyed our Costa Rican warmth, as we believe this is one of our best values.

We would like you to know that all our rooms have orthopedic mattresses and the linens are been changed for 400 threads. At the moment, our Standard rooms are in process of this updating as all the Superior, Deluxe and Grande rooms have the new linens. We have also added LED flat screens to all of our room categories. As a plus, we are well known for our tropical gardens which the guests can enjoy their private one in the Superior, Deluxe and Grande categories.

We are sorry to heard that you did not have time enough to explore the attractions of the city as Le Bergerac hotel is located 15 minutes within walking distance form San José downtown where you can visit: the National Museum, The National Theater, The Gold Museum, The Plaza de la Cultura, The Museum of Costa Rican Art, The Post Office building, The Cathedral, The National Park, The Morazan Park, The Jade Museum, the old fashion neighborhoods in San José and a lot of fine restaurants in the area. You can also visit the Central market where you can experience the meaning of being Costa Rican.

We are constantly improving our services and we do hope you can visit us again in the future.

Your friends from Le Bergerac.

Lilliam Vega
Boston
Reviewed 3 November 2011

This hotel is fabulously located near the Mall de San Pedro, but on a quiet side street. It's a small boutique hotel so you get good service. I've stayed here several times and never been disappointed. There's a corner room which has a small balcony that over looks the entrance. It's a nice room, but I think it tends to get very hot and it is somewhat small compared to the other rooms. I would recommend a room on the second floor with a garden/patio. We stayed in two, they both had two double beds, which we didn't need, but it was worth it for the patio. I would not recommend you stay in their "villas". I got an insect bite here which caused a golf ball sized lump on my wrist. I'm not kidding -- golf ball sized. I couldn't wear a watch, the area was so swollen! In all the time I've spent in Costa Rica (about 5 months) I've never been bitten by anything like that. I don't know what it was, and it didn't hurt, but I wouldn't put myself in that position again.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a garden.
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jenminem
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 September 2011

My husband and I stayed in Bergerac our first night in San Jose. I LOVED the look and feel of this hotel- and everyone was super friendly and nice! It was a great introduction into Costa Rica. The hotel room was large and very clean with super fast wifi. We ate a very nice (although slightly pricey) meal in the hotel restaurant downstairs and had coffee & tea on our private patio in the morning.

I would highly recommend staying at Hotel Le Bergerac, particularly if you are not going to be exploring in San Jose but using it as a jumping off point. Bergerac is not close to downtown, which is a slight disadvantage if you are hoping to wander around towards museums and such, but it is in a lovely / quiet neighborhood- perfect for getting a good night's sleep. :)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple