“A place for teen groups and those who don't mind staying in dorm-like atmosphere.”

Hotel Villa Tournon
Ranked #45 of 84 Hotels in San Jose
Texas
Reviewed 19 June 2011

I stayed at this hotel for eight long nights. The bedding consisted of twin beds with mattresses that were as hard as rocks. The room had a strong smell of dampness that I wondered about the mold growing behind the walls. Many of those in my group complained of no hot water and window a/c units that did not work. Luckily, mine worked well.

This hotel appears to be used as a one night stop for lots of student tour groups. (One set was even set up in the workout room when all of the rooms were booked.)

The decor looks as though it could be straight from the 1970's but there are some interesting art pieces in the lobby and dining areas.

The best area of the hotel was the pool area. It was a nice place to sit at the end of a long day.

Breakfast was provided each morning, but every day the food was the same: rice and beans, pancakes, scrambled eggs, little sausage pieces, fruit, and toast.

The two positive things about the hotel during my visit were the hot water and the towels were soft.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank ciw12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
England
Reviewed 24 May 2011

I only stayed here for 2 nights as I had to meet the rest of my tour group here. The staff at reception spoke good english and very helpful/polite! I was shown to my room which was nice, it had a double bed, large make up mirror with hairdryer, a bathroom, tv and a nice dinner table area! Bathroom was nice...the only downfall for me was I couldnt work out how to get hot water from the bath/shower...to be fair I was really tired so may just be me being stupid! I did see a swimming pool out of the window, looked nice! In the lobby was 2 computers free to use with internet, I also could pick up wifi in my room :) Breakfast was nice...a good choice to choose from! Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Sweet talk the reception guys! :P
  • Stayed July 2010
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2011

A friendly enough welcome, however this is an old hotel in need of refurb. The start and end point of a Costa Rica country tour I was checked into two very contrasting rooms during two stays. The first at the beginning of the trip was very uninspiring. The bathrooms in particular were unusually appointed with a bath / shower layout which required dexterity and climbing experience to manoever into. Very noisy music from nearby nightclubs late into the evening at the weekend. Would suggest at this price point there may be better and more modern options in San Jose.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Global_vagrant

Travellers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The first night i got a decent nights sleep, probably because i wasnt facing the busy road outside. HOWEVER, the second night was a Friday and the noise from the adjoining casino and bar round the back of the hotel was unbearable!! The bass thudded through the walls so be warned!! Superior rooms are a good size and clean. The restaurant both at night and in the morning served good meals.The hotel has two computers and a business centre which were important for internet airline check in.

• Stayed November 2010
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2010

This is the place where I was to meet the group I would be travelling around Costa Rica with (people I'd never previously met!)

I arrived at the hotel at 10pm, the reception was still open and the staff all spoke a good level of English and my room was nice, containing 3 single beds. The only issue for me really was there was no where to get any bottle water from in the hotel, so after 18hours travelling I had to head out into San Jose to buy water.

The beds were comfortable, and there was a wide variety for breakfast which was all hot, with as much fruit juice/tea/coffee as you wanted.
In the afternoon I sat around the pool, which wasnt very appealing, didn't look very clean and wasn't very well maintained, lights were missing leaving just holes around the pool. The hot tub was the same. I didn't use either of these facilities so cannot comment on how they were from the inside.

There is free computer/internet use here from 7am - 10pm (I think)

I had my evening meal here and it was lovely and fairly priced.

Tonight I was joined by someone from my tour in my room, this was fine, although when I'd asked at reception if I would be joined by another person, they'd said no! There was also only one room key so we had to negotiate when we would be needing to get into the room, which was ok, but not the best as we'd only just met!

Overall this was a reasonable hotel in San Jose, after spending a month in Costa Rica I discovered hot water showers was a rarity so here at the hotel Tournon was good.
I did however stay in nicer places throughout my trip. This is a typical chain hotel, which is quite impersonal but adequate for a shore stay

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank Laura_the_explorer84
Bettendorf, Iowa
Reviewed 21 June 2010

This is not your luxury hotel. However, it is a cute and clean little hotel that made me feel welcomed in Costa Rica. Each room had air conditioning and a TV, which besides hot water, complete my checklist for a decent hotel. The hotel is dated, and the bathrooms could use more light, but I enjoyed my stay. Dinner and breakfast were GREAT! I would stay again.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank grantwz
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 3 December 2009

We stayed with a group at Hotel Villa Tournon 11/5-6, 2009.
It was easy to get from SJO airport to the hotel (the taxi stand manager outside baggage claim knew the hotel right away - cost $25) and it was conveniently located about 6 blocks from the center of downtown.
The lobby is modern and welcoming. There are two computers with free internet access and many comfortable chairs/sofas. There is a bellman to help with bags or to hail a taxi as needed.
The front desk staff was pleasant and helpful with directions/transportation. All spoke English well.
The rooms are average at best. The ones I saw all had a table/chairs, TV, and other basic amenities. Rooms are good size - larger than expected.
The bed was reasonably comfortable, but the pillows were lumpy and under-stuffed. The bedding was worn, but fine.
In the humid climate, it's not unexpected to have musty smells in the room, but it was minor. The hotel was quiet and we slept well both nights.
We had breakfast (included in price) both mornings and enjoyed the typical Costa Rican meal of eggs, rice & beans, etc. There was a "juice of the day", kind of a smoothie, which we all enjoyed. The breakfast service was great with decent variety and friendly staff.
There is a nice pool and small exercise room, but we didn't have time to try either. We did like the filtered water available near the exercise room and filled our bottles each day before heading out.
The hotel is within walking distance of most downtown attractions. We walked easily (and safely) to The National Theater, Gold Museum, parks, and shopping districts. The walk is on uneven sidewalks with at least half uphill, so older travelers might prefer a taxi.
There are two banks nearby the hotel. One right around the corner was where we used the ATM to get Colones and had no problem doing so.
Next door to the hotel is a small casino/bar. We stopped by for a drink one night and really enjoyed the 80's music videos. The entrance was interesting as each guest had to enter an enclosed chamber where one side would not open until the other was closed. It seemed like high security for a "hole-in-the-wall", but it wasn't an issue.
All in all, I enjoyed the stay and would recommend Hotel Villa Tournon for travelers wanting to get a taste of the capitol city before heading out to explore the rest of Costa Rica.

Sidenote: We had dinner at The Grand Hotel Costa Rica (across from the theater) and had great service and good food. We also loved the cafe off the lobby of The National Theater for lunch.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends