“The kindest service I never had! This hotel shows the amability of the local people”
Review of Hotel Cacts

Hotel Cacts
Ranked #47 of 76 Hotels in San Jose
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 31 March 2011

I've been in Cacts from March 20th to 28th and It was an amazing experience. The first day the recepcionist received us very good, she was worried for us and give us a little paper for each one with the hotel address and telephone, she explain us how to visit the downtown and give us a map.
The hotel is little but is so homely that most of the guests I met there return again. Some of them each year. In the hotel you will find all type of turist with different nationalities specially from USA, Canada and France. Some of them are groups of students or old people. The Cacts has a little pool and a Jacuzzy. Is in the downtown and you can walk to visit the National Theater, some restaurants and a little mall with fastfood.

The breakfast in the hotel is simple but delicious, you will find tea, coffe, fruit (pineapple, watermelon & papaya), fruits juice, "gallo pinto", eggs & bread.
The hotel is a really calm place, if you visit costa rica with a prepaid tour is great.

Also the lobby has 3 computers with internet with a cost, few books, magazines and WiFi service free if you bring your laptop.
Important: If you travel with a book you can exchange it for another one in the hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sof4EVER

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Denver, CO
Reviewed 16 March 2011

After Gaudys Backpacker gave our room away to someone else after I reserved 1 month in advance and reconfirmed our reservation twice, we ended up staying at Hotel Cacts and it is a very nice place with very friendly staff. San Jose itself is not the best or safest place to stay, but if you are staying in San Jose this is one of the best and safest places with ample, secure parking.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 23 February 2011

The place is older, but not run down; real character architecture. I loved sitting in the restaurant area, feeding the birds and admiring the view of the mountains; pretty serene place. They serve you a nice breakfast every morning, and you're close by everything in San Jose. Owner is super nice, friendly and above all helpful.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
california city, ca
Reviewed 5 November 2010

Stayed a total of 32 days on 2 occasions. Unbeatable. Close to Dr. Cavallini's Dental Clinic (the purpose for the trip to Costa Rica) - Clean rooms. Best value around - Safe, secure area (across from Police Station). Nice swimming pool. sauna. No AC but this is Costa Rica, not Las Vegas, NV (where egotistical types got with more money than they deserve). You cannot beat the Cacts! And, fo dental issues, Dr. Cavallini and his staff are the best!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank michaelbinca
Boston
Reviewed 21 July 2009

The cleaning staff leave the ceiling fans on for a reason-to help deal with the musty smell and poorly ventilated sewer system. The sheets and towels are about a year past their usable life in most other hotels. The pool is barely deep enough to swim laps in and there is no "hot" in the hot tub. The wifi is only accessible in one spot. On the plus side the breakfast area and rooftop have an excellent view. The staff are friendly and courteous.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank BeantownTourist
KY
Reviewed 2 July 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here on the first and last leg of our trip in early May. Our room was clean and it had 3 beds. I felt very comfortable in the hotel as we had to be buzzed in. The hotel staff could not have been any more helpful. It was close enough to walk to downtown (for us) and there were a few restaurants nearby. There were also several car rental places nearby. We ate at a place called Maria Bonita twice. It was very good. This is not a 5 star hotel, but it worked well for us. The location was good and we had no problem finding it when we drove back into San Jose. The sound does carry though. That was the only downfall to Hotel Cacts. We plan to return to Costa Rica and will stay here again. It was close the airport and was easy to leave San Jose from here and easy to get back.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mic1013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 June 2009

I stayed at Hotel Cacts the first night of my trip to Costa Rica, and I must say it was gross. I got in around 10 pm so really couldn't roam around the city looking for somewhere else to stay. They put me in a cavernous room with four beds (solo traveler), that smelled like mold and was very dirty. The man who let me in couldn't do anything about moving me to another room, and the front desk was closed. I couldn't bring myself to take a shower and was relieved be out of there the next day. The people who work there were friendly and helpful in the morning, and told me the way to the bus station. For two days after that my head was very itchy and I was thinking I got lice from the bedding. I know there is a newer section of the hotel that is pricier, but I still wouldn't stay there again. Wish I would have stayed in a clean hostel instead.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo