“Liked Cacts”

Ranked #47 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Toronto, Canada
“Liked Cacts”
Reviewed 1 May 2013

We stayed in the old part and the room was fine. Although we didn't swim, others did and seemed to enjoy it.

Great views from the upper part and a great place to relax in the evening or morning.

The person on the desk was great. I'd lost my credit card on arrival at the airport. It took a lot of attempts to contact the bank and she was very patient as she put me through to the international operator as well as having someone deliver a phone card. She made things a a whole lot easier.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 9 March 2013

We stayed in both the older part and the newer. The older part is not safe. The floor is split and you can see straight through. it is very noisy. The stairs are not safe to the older rooms. There was no hot water and the sheets were so thin that I could see the mattress. The newer section where we stayed later in our trip was much better. The pool was not usable, but the breakfast was good. I don't think I would stay here again and risk staying i the old section which is awful and unsafe.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jennifer A
Duncan, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Prices have gone up since my last visit here almost a year ago, but I still found the Cacts Hotel clean, friendly and super convenient, assuming you want to stay just east of Sabana Park, rather than right downtown, or somewhere east of immediate downtown.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
San Diego, California
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stayed at Hotel Cacts a total of three nights, two at the beginning of our vacation and one at the end. The hotel is conveniently located near several good restaurants, main commercial avenue, and large park. The staff were helpful and friendly and speak English, if you don't speak Spanish. If you are looking for a luxury hotel, then you may be disappointed. However, if you want a simple, clean room with a great breakfast included (rice and beans, eggs, fresh fruit, fresh juice, toast, etc.) and free wifi then Hotel Cacts is a great value. Just be advised that there is no elevator.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robyn H
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Room was filthy. No hot water. Cobwebs in every corner and dead bugs hanging from them. Walls in the bathroom were bulging from water damage. No AC (but that doesn't figure into this review).
When I complained that the hot water wasn't working and the room was filthy, they just smiled and didn't even offer a new room or explaination.

• Stayed August 2012
Stuttgart
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Good is probably as good as Hotel Cacts might receive. I am here at the first weeks of rainy season (beginning of Aug). There are 5 of approx 40 rooms filled and I wonder why the put a guest right next to me (someone who runs television loudly LATE). The Manager Sra. Elecxa and her grown daughter Gretchen are too nice and accommodating to complain. The speak perfect English. Since I am here for some medical tourism (this is a second time to San Jose for same) I can say that "Ticos" certainly are hospitable and indeed appreciate North American neighbors who speak some Spanish. Practically, the beds are low to the ground and firm. Water pressure isn't the best. The place is CLEAN and smells sanitary. The gardening /decor is placid and inviting. Free breakfast is a value. The neighbor is safe and semi-quiet. There is police station across the street and you will hear the occasional shift-change police siren test. Didn't bother me. Neighboring businesses starting at 6:45-7:00am did. Granted I am slightly medicated and slightly sleepy. I will stay here again this winter when I come back for more medical/dental tourism.

Room Tip: Lower might be better as their is a roof-top garden/patio/breakfast area. Concrete construction and...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Emory, VA
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I have been staying at Hotel Cacts since 1996. It has greatly evolved from moderate to excellent for the money involved, especially if you are travelling with a group. I teach a course in Tropical Biology, and I always insist on staying here (I use Innova Adventure Travel for ALL bookings, which is an EXCELLENT company; the owner, Laura Barrantes Requeno, can arrange an adventure travel or a romantic getaway) with my students. It is quiet, safe, very accessible to the Central Avenue and a variety of restaurants. There is a very nice swimming pool (if you have time to enjoy it), a great breakfast of fresh fruit, eggs, gallo pinto, and coffee and excellent juices, and free wireless internet. Alexia (the owner) and all the staff are extremely helpful and nice. This may not be a great place for older folks (there are no elevators and quite a few steps), but I stay there even when I'm not with students. I recommend Hotel Cacts to anyone who plans to stay in San Jose...Prof. Gregory J. McConnell, Dept. of Biology, Emory & Henry College, Emory, VA.

Room Tip: Any of the newer rooms are great; I think they only give the older rooms if they are over-booked, bu...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business