“Best value clean close to dental clinic pleasant staff unbeatable”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Cacts

Hotel Cacts
Ranked #48 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
california city, ca
“Best value clean close to dental clinic pleasant staff unbeatable”
Reviewed 5 November 2010

Stayed a total of 32 days on 2 occasions. Unbeatable. Close to Dr. Cavallini's Dental Clinic (the purpose for the trip to Costa Rica) - Clean rooms. Best value around - Safe, secure area (across from Police Station). Nice swimming pool. sauna. No AC but this is Costa Rica, not Las Vegas, NV (where egotistical types got with more money than they deserve). You cannot beat the Cacts! And, fo dental issues, Dr. Cavallini and his staff are the best!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank michaelbinca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Boston
Reviewed 21 July 2009

The cleaning staff leave the ceiling fans on for a reason-to help deal with the musty smell and poorly ventilated sewer system. The sheets and towels are about a year past their usable life in most other hotels. The pool is barely deep enough to swim laps in and there is no "hot" in the hot tub. The wifi is only accessible in one spot. On the plus side the breakfast area and rooftop have an excellent view. The staff are friendly and courteous.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank BeantownTourist
KY
Reviewed 2 July 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here on the first and last leg of our trip in early May. Our room was clean and it had 3 beds. I felt very comfortable in the hotel as we had to be buzzed in. The hotel staff could not have been any more helpful. It was close enough to walk to downtown (for us) and there were a few restaurants nearby. There were also several car rental places nearby. We ate at a place called Maria Bonita twice. It was very good. This is not a 5 star hotel, but it worked well for us. The location was good and we had no problem finding it when we drove back into San Jose. The sound does carry though. That was the only downfall to Hotel Cacts. We plan to return to Costa Rica and will stay here again. It was close the airport and was easy to leave San Jose from here and easy to get back.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mic1013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 June 2009

I stayed at Hotel Cacts the first night of my trip to Costa Rica, and I must say it was gross. I got in around 10 pm so really couldn't roam around the city looking for somewhere else to stay. They put me in a cavernous room with four beds (solo traveler), that smelled like mold and was very dirty. The man who let me in couldn't do anything about moving me to another room, and the front desk was closed. I couldn't bring myself to take a shower and was relieved be out of there the next day. The people who work there were friendly and helpful in the morning, and told me the way to the bus station. For two days after that my head was very itchy and I was thinking I got lice from the bedding. I know there is a newer section of the hotel that is pricier, but I still wouldn't stay there again. Wish I would have stayed in a clean hostel instead.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank beatgrrl
Indiana
Reviewed 19 June 2009

I enjoyed Hotel Cacts while staying in San Jose. I don't normally like staying in town too long as the rest of the country just has so much beauty to offer, but I just recently stayed here for one night and thought it was one of the better places I have stayed in San Jose. The staff was very friendly and called me on time for my wake-up call (which has not happened at a few other hotels in town). All in all Hotel Cacts is a good value and located in a good area for walking and has easy access to the international airport.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
michigan
Reviewed 9 September 2007

We stayed at the Hotel Cacts twice in one trip while in transit from the airport to other parts of Costa Rica. It is a very good but very simple hotel that provides very nice service to those who are not familiar with the area. The owner speaks very good Spanish and is totally trustworthy.

The outside of the hotel is not very impressive, and perhaps a bit dumpy. But the inside of the hotel is perfectly fine, especially the back part of the hotel which is much more spacious. We stayed the first time in one of the rooms in the "B" area, which is just upstairs from the reception area. It is fairly dark and cramped and feels a bit old. The second time we stayed in the back of the hotel which is much newer. The rooms are larger and much brighter and they open onto a outdoor walkway (almost like an American motel). The picture in the May 7, 2006 review below is accurate for these rooms. The rooms are very clean, just not fancy. In my view its all you need if you don't plan to hang around the hotel all day.

The breakfast is held in a large open-air area on the third (?) floor of the hotel. Very pleasant, but again very simple.

Overall, I'd recommend the Hotel Cacts for its helpful service and its simple but very clean accommodations.

• Liked — Elecxa is great. Very helpful.
  • Disliked — Shower in the B side rooms of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank pyegirl
Miami, FL
Reviewed 20 May 2007

I stayed at this place four times the summer of 2005 with a group. The service is very friendly and the staff is the reason I give them an above average rating. The hallway is narrow if you have to carry a lot of equipment, just don't have to go up the winding staircase... yikes.

The best things I love about this place is that it is relatively close to a nice Mas por Menos (supermarket +) and a great beauty salon (only one block away). The breakfast is so-so. I supplemented with food from the market.

I have not stayed here since I have returned because I have found comparable ammenities for a better value elsewhere and I don't need to be catered to as much since I know the city fairly well.

I will recommend the place if this is your first trip to CR and you are looking for a budget place to stay. They will take care of you and give you great advice.

• Liked — The staff's service
  • Disliked — Some of the small funky little rooms
  • Stayed June 2005, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank sissyfus