“Almost Excellent-elevator not working for my stay”

Apartotel Suites Cristina
Ranked #18 of 84 Hotels in San Jose
Colorado
“Almost Excellent-elevator not working for my stay”
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I agree with most of the reviews. The hotel is scrupulously cared for. It shows pride in customer service and a job well done by its staff. It is possibly the cleanest hotel I've ever occupied. Since I wanted a kitchen in the room, I chose this hotel. The kitchens are well-stocked, with cooking implements, cutlery, and dishware.

Conveniently located to all areas of the city. Like many other of their guests, I was there for dental work at Dr. Cavallini's office. That means that tranquility and a quiet place to relax between appointments was paramount.

I would recommend that when a visitor indicates he or she is a dental patient, that a quiet room be given. And I had reserved my room well ahead of my arrival, for one person. I was unfortunately given a two-bedroom suite on the street above the restaurant. Sleep at night was constantly interrupted by car alarms, loud street conversation, and traffic.

Some things to note are that the room hallways have concrete walls and tile floors and are semi-enclosed, protecting you from the elements, but not from the byproducts of cigarette and cigar smokers even from lower floors, or the noise of loud conversations or screaming children of other inconsiderate guests.

Another very important consideration is that the elevator has been out of service for at least three weeks.

Check ahead to see what floor you're on! Mine was the fifth; the top floor, necessitating a climb and descent of eight sets of stairs for anything that took me to street level. The hotel needs to advise guests of this major issue when they are making reservations. Also, room numbers on the top (5th) floor start with the number 3.

The hotel van is considerably more expensive than the taxis. Do not let the desk just direct you to their van unless you have a large group. I found that the van driver also had a bit of an attitude.

The positives were the wonderful and knowledgeable staff, the amazing full-on complimentary breakfast, sparkling clean property and willingness to go above and beyond to work with you to make your stay enjoyable.

A plus for me is their environmental diligence, including air-dried towels!

I found that the Italian restaurant was only so-so, with prices way out of line for the quality of the food and service. I guess you pay for convenience.

I would stay here again with the assurance of a room off the street and on a lower floor (especially if the elevator is still broken)

Good value for the quality!

Room Tip: Try for a view, lower level, and off the street.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank DenverDsigner
CristinaCostaRica, Owner at Apartotel Suites Cristina, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Experienced travelers are our key guardians; their comments are distributed within our staff that is highly empowered when compliments or complains are sent; this process helps us to continuously improve our service.
The elevator has been a really headache for our customers, but since mid August is working nicely. We received some complains about taxi rates, so we requested the van operators to correct them, they already did it.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Czech first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 22 June 2012

This is the cleanest and best maintained place to stay I have seen for a while. The neighborhood is wonderful. The Sabana park is nearby for walks and a visit to the art gallery. There are many good restaurants in the neighborhood as well. Even slightly out of the neighborhood but still within walking distance there are even more good restaurants. In 10 days we were here we never took a cab to go to dinner.

Room Tip: The lower right side has a lot of traffic past your living room.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LordJim220
Vero Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Have been here for 10 days getting dental work, not touring, so no need to get out early. The Cristina is very nice, the staff has been great, housekeeping is astonishing: they even move the fridge every day to mop underneath. I agree with all the good reviews.
BUT, if you have a room on the front of the hotel, the early morning traffic noise will wake you, even with the window closed and the A/C on. First, it is the 4:00AM airport shuttles, which, apparently, always involve a lot of loud conversation on the front steps. Followed by transports to bus tours with more conversations. Then, from 6:00 to 7:00AM, this dead-end street is packed with cars (many diesels), scooters, motorcycles, and pedestrians going to work at ICE, the state-owned electric company across the street. If you have an early appointment elsewhere, it is very difficult for transport to get to or from the hotel during this hour. Same is true from 4:00 to 5:00PM when they all leave.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Phil E
Key West, Florida
Reviewed 12 June 2012

A friend and I recently went to Costa Rica for dental work. We spent the best time in this sweet hotel. We had our own rooms, very comfortable, very clean suite. 2 bds. 2 baths, full kitchen and living room. Great complimentary breakfast every morning. A charming Italian restaurant that was a part of the hotel. We ate there about half a dozen times. THe staff was very accomadating...warm and so helpful with our travel. Will definately be going back and staying there. Looking forward to it again very soon.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank DentalCostarica
Kansas City
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Wonderful stay, very friendly and helpful staff
I was travelling back from a week-long stay in Quepos and booked a room for one night for me and five friends. The staff was great, very friendly front desk, clean rooms. . I couldn’t believe that transportation to the airport and breakfast were both included; we paid $148 for the night for six people in a three bedroom, two bath suite.
There were several restaurants that the staff recommended. We ate dinner at the Italian restaurant on-site which was really good.
After we checked out I discovered that I had misplaced an expensive, brand new cellphone which also contained all of my vacation photos. When I got home I had an email from the hotel letting me know that they had found it. I corresponded with a Mr. Gomez from the hotel who took it to a FedEx office and had it sent to me. FedEx wasn’t cheap, but it was worth it and I honestly didn’t expect to ever see my phone again….thank you, Mr. Gomez!

Room Tip: Free shuttle to the airport, make sure you schedule the shuttle service ahead of time.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelnlink
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 11 June 2012

My husband and I have stayed 3 times at this wonderful hotel.
Service is always delivered with a smile and a great attitude.
Beds are comfortable and everything is very clean, when I complimented our maid on the thorough job she did, she said " I do my work with love." Don't we all wish we had employees like that. A wonderful breakfast is included, there is always Gallo Pinto, (rice and beans which I love) eggs, cereal and 2 fresh fruits, a great value. !
The place is close to Sabana Parc and a modern Supermarket.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 230 last time, very quiet and comfortable
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 105worldtraveler
Gearhart, Oregon
Reviewed 7 June 2012

This is a wonderful apartment/hotel expertly run with helpful and friendly staff. We have stayed here on two separate occasions each time for ten nights and we will be visiting again July 2012. The Apartment we selected had one bedroom, small shower room, small living/dining/kitchen. The apartment opened out onto covered walk-ways to the other floors. There is a small pool, outside lounges, and seating areas with umbrella tables. Near the pool area a delightful breakfast is served buffet style. The buffet always includes fresh fruit, eggs cooked to your liking, rice and beans, vegetables, toasts, juices and coffee. The on-site Italian restaurant features a terrific wine list and menu. You can order and they will deliver your meal to your room or out at one of the seating areas by the pool. The laundry room is furnished with supplies including, soap, iron board, iron, etc. The area is safe and an easy walking distance to Sabana Park, the grocer, many small cafes (sodas) and restaurants, pharmacies, the phone company and Doctor Marco's office. I think that it would be impossible to find a cleaner or more expertly run property.

Room Tip: We have been assigned to an Apartment on the second floor on both visits and we more than happy.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business