“Great value and location”

Apartotel Suites Cristina
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in San Jose
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great value and location”
Reviewed 13 March 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very clean and staffed by a ver helpful bilingual staff that is ready to help you. The hotel has a wonderful Italian restaurant that is a great value and the food is excellent. It is located lose to the Sabana Park and 5 minute taxi to Prisma Dental and 10 minutes to the center of San Jose.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Barry H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Czech first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Upsides: Good breakfast, nice bilingual staff, spacious room, good location to Pavas' business. Near good restaurantes, near park with track and trails, some snacks and sodas available, check-the-box shampoo, conditioner, and soap provided. Decent kitchenette if need, note there is not bottle opener provided, and only 6oz glasses. Free interbus shuttle (vs. a $35 taxi) if book 36 hours in advance.

Downsides: They put me in the wrong room when I arrived, so when going out the next day they said they had to move me and then offered to move my things. Every day the room is cleaned and the windows and blinds are opened even though I have left them closed. Pavas is not very safe thus I worry more. Wifi was intermittent and skype/g-chat connection often broke. Pool is a teacup and don't expect to use to swim. Showers never really did get hot. Maid service does a good job of moving your clothes around if you leave them in a heap on the bed :)

For the price you pay (almost half of full service places) you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the pool and away from the road.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank prettyroja
Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

We had booked one suite for one night via E-Mail more than a week before our arrival. The booking was confirmed via E-Mail. When we arrived we carried our luggage up the stairs to the reception to check in, we learned that no room was available for us due to overbooking.
Reception were helpful in organizing a more expensive alternative of minor quality and expected us to pay the room in the Christina. Furthermorw, to sign a blank credit card slip at the second hotel. They tried to make us believe that this is world standard.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Thomas F
CristinaCostaRica, Owner at Apartotel Suites Cristina, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
We do not make overbooking. Sometimes a customer needs to extend his stay with us for medical reasons so we promptly book an alternative hotel for our incoming customer. In this specific case, we paid the alternative hotel to guarantee the same tariff, so we charged the incoming customer at our front desk. That’s all.
Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

One of the best hotels I stayed in while vacationing in Costa Rica. The staff is friendly, the breakfast is excellent and it is in a prime location.
The rooms, bathrooms and kitchen were always kept clean and fresh. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The breakfast was also delicious.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Antoinette86
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I have stayed in multiple hotels in San Jose and all I can say is that I wish I had found this gem much sooner! I have been traveling to Costa Rica for over 14 years and for the price, this hotel is second to none. We had a personal issue with the very 1st room we stayed in (I couldn't climb all the stairs) and the always-friendly staff quickly changed our room to one that was very accessible.

I have never experienced all the noise issues that other travelers have noted, but my husband is an extremely light sleeper. One of our stays here was in the front of the hotel, behind the reception desk, with bedroom off the street. Hubby slept like a baby...

Speaking of which, we have had my Costa Rican stepson and granddaughter come to visit us in our room, and the staff has been very accommodating to our "visitors". She is very quiet and wasn't one of the shriekers that other travelers had issues with! The staff allowed them in the room (which another hotel didn't permit) and were very helpful getting them transportation from the hotel back to their San Jose home.

For those travelers who complained about no carpet - the hotel is as clean as it is because there is no carpet. In Costa Rica, mildew is a huge problem so no carpet is quite a blessing. All of the finer homes I have been to in Costa Rica do not have carpeting.

Regarding privacy, we always stay on the 1st floor and although the windows open to the courtyard, the bedrooms and bathrooms are behind the kitchen and living area. I am an extremely private person, but this was never an issue for me.

Apartotel Cristina is my home away from home in San Jose and I can't imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jingo1
NJ
Reviewed 28 November 2012

* About 5.5km from SJO airport, 15minutes driving. Avoid city center traffic, easy to get on the hwy 1. There is rental car local branch (Economy and Avis?) 3 blocks away from hotel, like 5 minutes walking. They don't charge expensive tax like airport.

* They provide free shuttle to the airport. But you have to book it 36 hours in advance. It is pretty strict.

* Buffet breakfast is free - They do omelette in front of you (ham, pea, pepper, onion, cheese). Taste really good while they made it well done. They also serve fresh fruit, scrambled egg, toast, ham, jam, yogurt, juice, cereal.

* The apartment rooms are clean and basic. Every room with TV, AC, kitchen, fridge. It is handy if you want to cook.

* The internet is free and wifi signal is strong. Super like! I was a little worried that a lot of hotels says they provide wifi but when I got there and found out there is signal in the lobby only but not in the room. I stayed at room 111 and 332, both worked very well.

* Location is safe. They have private garage for parking.

Room Tip: I like room 332(one-bedroom) better than 111(two-bedroom).
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank goccmm
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 November 2012

All mini-suites in this delightful little hotel, with excellent service, clean comfortable rooms, outstanding breakfast buffet, great location near the biggest park of San Jose, Park Sabana Norte. Best prices around.

Room Tip: Stay away from near the pool, which can get noisy at night and early mornings.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business