“The Best of both worlds, Luxury, low cost and the Best service I have ever had.”
Review of Hotel Dunn Inn

Hotel Dunn Inn
Ranked #16 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I stayed at the Dunn Inn for 6 days August 18-24 2011. I doubt I will do this place justice but will try. THE ROOMS, stayed in two, the first was real nice and more economical, I knew I wasn't going to be there much so i picked it. Room 11 Perfect! Super clean, nice flat screen, WiFi very good. Hot shower, why pay more when your going to be out and about!. Second room Pure Luxury, super quiet, huge bed, huge bathroom, modern hardwood throughout,, a 5 star room and a 3 star price! THE SERVICE I can't say enough about, Guy and his team are amazing! they cater to your every need and go way above and beyond! For example the Chef picked up on how I like my food spicy so every meal I ordered appeared with a side of home made hot sauce. Each one better than the next! Our Waitress Sophi was always smiling always catering to use, a real pleasure to be around made us feel like we were at home. THE FOOD at Rick's Cafe was outstanding, they even have Draft beer which is Rare in CR. I cant say enough for the team they really are top notch. THE SECURITY although their was never a reason for it I sure felt safe with security in and around the hotel 24X7. WHO SHOULD STAY HERE... If your looking for a frat house Not you... If your looking for a $20.00 Backpacker Hostel their are several up town, If your looking to be in the center of the business district and your company is willing to pay $300.00 a night... then go for the center of the city chains...If your looking to enjoy all that San Jose has to offer in Luxury in a great place with great Staff for an affordable price the Dunn Inn is for you. Bravo DUNN INN Well Done!

Room Tip: I had two rooms the first was room 11, Perfect lower cost high quality! Second room 25 was 5 Star Lu...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelWellX

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Nosara
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I went to the Dunn Inn on the strength of hearing about it from other ex-pats and local homeowners in Guanacaste. My room which cost $79 a night (there was a misleading come on saying that rooms were available at $45 and I cringe to think how they must be) had NO outside window and NO airconditioning. It shared a wall with a main staircase so I got to share in the joy of all coming and going traffic as well as phone conversations through the indoor window from people using the computers provided by the hotel. Yes, it was very, very clean, the bathroom was nicely outfitted. But my bed was a matress on a wooden platform. The room was a nice size, too but painted a dull brick red which made it feel as claustrophobic as it really was. The staff were very nice, friendly, English speaking. I only had two breakfasts in the hotel's restaurant: one was part of the price and consisted of whole wheat toast, fruit, cheese and coffee. The other was an outrageously priced ($12) for two scrambled eggs, a single slice of ham and a scattering of dried, greasy potatoes and a side of English muffin. Ahhhh....I don't get the attraction to the place. Oh, the Sports Bar which is connected to it has decent food and decent prices.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank icecreamgoddess
Destin, Florida
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Just recently I returned from vacation in Costa Rica and marking my fifth trip in 3 years.Booked my usual stay at a familiar hotel,the Dunn Inn and was slightly disappointed
this time. It seems that during a shake up in management and staff the atmosphere has
changed.I'm not sure exactly what the direction is but hope that the local Tico trade can support it's future success. As a bachelor,I've always enjoyed the local of the Dunn Inn to
the nightclub scene and cigar bars.The staff has alway been pleasant and attentative to my needs.With the addition of sportsbar and lounge I was convinced this hotel was on the way to becoming a legendary stop in San Jose.I feel now I am mistaken.With the Clarion hotel closing across the street,poor lighting on this avenue,and lack of the previous smiles from the friendly Tica's at the bar.(no doubt due to managements on the fence approach of whats good for business) I'ts this travellers opinion that possibly change might be good in respect to a different hotel. I wish the best to the Dunn Inn and
its staff and will check in from time to time to see old friends,but it is this travellers opinion that the hotel is going against what could have been a great combination for their success.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank bbcostatraveller
Reviewed 24 April 2011

This was my second stay at the Dunn Inn and it is now my hotel of choice in San Jose. Nice rooms, quiet location and a great staff. Love the bar and food at Rick's Cafe. My only issue is the stability of the wireless Internet as I typically need to work when I am there.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank Willyt962
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 6 April 2011

We traveled with three couples, ages 26-33, and decided on the Dunn Inn (via Trip Advisor) for our last night in Costa Rica after spending a week in Puerto Viejo. Although my first impression walking in the door was a positive one, I was immediately disappointed when I found out that they only had 2/3 of our reserved/confirmed rooms available, even though I had received confirmation letters for all 3 rooms in mid-January. The front-desk worker didn't seem to care that I had all 3 confirmation numbers handy. Since the hotel was completely full, they offered us an adjoining apartment on the property and assured us that it was nicer than the rooms we had in the main hotel, and we'd get it for our original quoted price. Since we were left with no other choice, one of our couples reluctantly took the room. They had to be walked by security outside, around the corner, and through a parking structure to get to the apartment only to find that if was indeed NOT as nice as our other deluxe queen rooms. After checking in, we were excited to check out our free drinks and happy hour (advertised on the Dunn Inn website when I booked our rooms and in our room itself.) We were told that they no longer had a complimentary first drink for hotel guests and also no longer had happy hour. Great. Our remaining two rooms were on the main level adjacent to the lobby. Thank heavens for the provided ear plugs, or we wouldn't have had a moments sleep before our flight in the morning. The crowd in the hotel bar was extremely loud, not to mention the live music.
The front desk worker was able to arrange for the Dunn Inn van to take us to the airport in the early morning. I asked her how much the transport would be and she told me $20, although it turned out to be $30 in the morning since we had 6 passengers. One of our lobby-level rooms was very nice, clean, and updated. The other room was clean, somewhat outdated, and purely average. The adjoining bar had fairly inexpensive drinks and appetizers. I would have loved to see some of the rooms on the second floor, but unfortunately our stay was limited to the main floor. I liked the overall feel of the hotel as well as the location, plus there were numerous, sharply-dressed security guards on the premises at all times to ensure safety. We left the hotel too early to enjoy the complimentary breakfast. Overall, I'd say that I'd like to give the quirky Dunn Inn another chance, but I'd probably try a different hotel if ever in San Jose again.

Room Tip: Request 2nd floor rooms!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kristina S
Mogadore, Ohio
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Found the staff to be helpful. Spoke english very well. Nice bar. The room was very clean and the bed comfortable. As a person who spends more than 100 nights a year in hotels (my expectations are reasonable) I can say without reserve I'd stay at the Hotel Dunn Inn again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
San Diego, California
Reviewed 28 March 2011

The Dunn Inn was probably nice back in the day however now it's a pit stop for the shady types. I was very disappointed. The service was fair. Rooms noisy. Don't expect to walk around the neighborhood at night. Definitely not safe.

• Stayed March 2011