“Absolutely Flawless!”
Review of Hotel Dunn Inn

Hotel Dunn Inn
Ranked #20 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I stayed here in Jan 2012. From the moment I arrived I felt right at home. The front desk staff were friendly, informative and responsive (and beautiful) The room was clean, had all amenities with good shower pressure and plenty of hot water. I booked ATV ride and whitewater rafting through the front desk and EVERYONE went to great pains to help with directions(the real drawback to San Jose is there are no street signs/addresses/road markers of any kind in the city). if you are driving yourself get a GPS it is a nightmare. The other staff in the rest. and bar were exceptional, any question was addressed to your satisfaction and the new addition in the back was perfect. They even had a separate cigar area that you could still see the six screen giant HDTV array showing every sport you could want. Great happy hour 2/1 beers reasonable snacks and fine servers! Guy Grand (GMgr) and his wife were accessible ( and she is also the in-house massage lady). Good People. I think this carried over to the guests because I hung out and partied with some and when they left, I found a note and 2 bottles of top shelf booze at the front desk. Overall Great experience.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the back, It was busy in the morning on the street. I am an early riser, but, if you...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel Dunn Inn

Reviewed 22 January 2012

Used to be a nice place, friendly and mellow. Sure, people brought their 'dates' here, but I never felt uncomfortable bringing my kids here. It's changed now -- gringo owners, a business model that caters to the "gentleman traveler", and each room has condoms prominently displayed on the bedside table that are for sale. Not a nice place for families anymore. I've stayed here over a 10 year period, but never again. I won't overypay for a mediocre room and then have to listen to "ay-ay-ay" through the thin walls while my kids want to know "if the lady next door is OK". All the reviews from guys that stayed for "a week" or "six days" -- take them with a giant grain of salt -- they're sex tourists. Boooo! Booo!

Boooo. Boooo.

Room Tip: Rooms at a different hotel are better.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank brian_aguabuena
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Such a great suprise! For only $60/night for a basic room we received a very nice, clean, updated room with 24 hour/day security guard at the main entrance. The Tropix Bar was absolutely beautiful and very reasonably priced. The sports bar immediately next door was also a very nice atmosphere to relax and have a beer at any time of day. Only 20 min from airport and the hotel offers airport shuttle for only $25. Hotel is within walking distance to many resturaunts, bars, and attractions. Would definitely suggest this hotel for anyone staying in the downtown San Jose area.

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank hatfiels
Reviewed 8 September 2011

First time staying at this hotel. Great hotel. I am currently here staying at the hotel. Staff here is very helpful. They go above and beyond whats required especially GUY, great customer service. Now for the rooms, a group of us are staying here. Perfect location for friends and singles. My room is nice size, ac, flat panel, recently renovated, can't really ask for more for the price. Reasonable rates. Nice bar atmosphere, like I said, great for party's and singles. I heard from previous reviews about the noise level, hardly any noise. Quite night. Can't rate the breakfast, never seem to wake up in time to make it.

Room Tip: Ask for a king bedroom. Newer
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Vomcom
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I stayed at the Dunn Inn for 6 days August 18-24 2011. I doubt I will do this place justice but will try. THE ROOMS, stayed in two, the first was real nice and more economical, I knew I wasn't going to be there much so i picked it. Room 11 Perfect! Super clean, nice flat screen, WiFi very good. Hot shower, why pay more when your going to be out and about!. Second room Pure Luxury, super quiet, huge bed, huge bathroom, modern hardwood throughout,, a 5 star room and a 3 star price! THE SERVICE I can't say enough about, Guy and his team are amazing! they cater to your every need and go way above and beyond! For example the Chef picked up on how I like my food spicy so every meal I ordered appeared with a side of home made hot sauce. Each one better than the next! Our Waitress Sophi was always smiling always catering to use, a real pleasure to be around made us feel like we were at home. THE FOOD at Rick's Cafe was outstanding, they even have Draft beer which is Rare in CR. I cant say enough for the team they really are top notch. THE SECURITY although their was never a reason for it I sure felt safe with security in and around the hotel 24X7. WHO SHOULD STAY HERE... If your looking for a frat house Not you... If your looking for a $20.00 Backpacker Hostel their are several up town, If your looking to be in the center of the business district and your company is willing to pay $300.00 a night... then go for the center of the city chains...If your looking to enjoy all that San Jose has to offer in Luxury in a great place with great Staff for an affordable price the Dunn Inn is for you. Bravo DUNN INN Well Done!

Room Tip: I had two rooms the first was room 11, Perfect lower cost high quality! Second room 25 was 5 Star Lu...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelWellX
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I went to the Dunn Inn on the strength of hearing about it from other ex-pats and local homeowners in Guanacaste. My room which cost $79 a night (there was a misleading come on saying that rooms were available at $45 and I cringe to think how they must be) had NO outside window and NO airconditioning. It shared a wall with a main staircase so I got to share in the joy of all coming and going traffic as well as phone conversations through the indoor window from people using the computers provided by the hotel. Yes, it was very, very clean, the bathroom was nicely outfitted. But my bed was a matress on a wooden platform. The room was a nice size, too but painted a dull brick red which made it feel as claustrophobic as it really was. The staff were very nice, friendly, English speaking. I only had two breakfasts in the hotel's restaurant: one was part of the price and consisted of whole wheat toast, fruit, cheese and coffee. The other was an outrageously priced ($12) for two scrambled eggs, a single slice of ham and a scattering of dried, greasy potatoes and a side of English muffin. Ahhhh....I don't get the attraction to the place. Oh, the Sports Bar which is connected to it has decent food and decent prices.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank icecreamgoddess
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Just recently I returned from vacation in Costa Rica and marking my fifth trip in 3 years.Booked my usual stay at a familiar hotel,the Dunn Inn and was slightly disappointed
this time. It seems that during a shake up in management and staff the atmosphere has
changed.I'm not sure exactly what the direction is but hope that the local Tico trade can support it's future success. As a bachelor,I've always enjoyed the local of the Dunn Inn to
the nightclub scene and cigar bars.The staff has alway been pleasant and attentative to my needs.With the addition of sportsbar and lounge I was convinced this hotel was on the way to becoming a legendary stop in San Jose.I feel now I am mistaken.With the Clarion hotel closing across the street,poor lighting on this avenue,and lack of the previous smiles from the friendly Tica's at the bar.(no doubt due to managements on the fence approach of whats good for business) I'ts this travellers opinion that possibly change might be good in respect to a different hotel. I wish the best to the Dunn Inn and
its staff and will check in from time to time to see old friends,but it is this travellers opinion that the hotel is going against what could have been a great combination for their success.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo