“The only place to go in Costa Rica = "You want the NEW wing!"”
Review of Hotel Dunn Inn

Hotel Dunn Inn
Ranked #17 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I love the Dunn Inn. Won't stay anywhere else. What i love about it is the friendly staff, the On-site bar AND the on-site restaurant that is open till midnight, so I can cure myself of the late night munchies that ail me. The biggest attraction of all I must say has got to be Guy, the Dun Inn's manager. He is the most accommodating and knowledgeable contact you can make in Costa Rica. Ever. Want a NY Style pizza at 6pm? Guy Knows where. Need a shirt pressed and ready for tomorrow but you forgot to ask housekeeping? Guy knows where. If he didn't have the title of Hotel Manager, I'd think he's the best concierge these Vegas eyes have ever seen. Also being from the "tourists, leave your money here thanks" capital of the world, I know a thing or two about hotel rooms. While I will say that ALL of the rooms at the Dunn Inn are really nice for the Price, You WANT THE NEW WING. Specifically when you book - ask for rooms 24, 25, 28, and 29. Get a good rate and then YOU WIN! These new rooms are in the modern wind and giant beds, hardwood floors, white walls with mahogany wood trim, desks, chairs, and just a peaceful ,relaxing living space. I have to admit being from where I'm from - I feel no guilt in just hiding out in my room all day reading a book, lying on the bed, or watching TV, and when I want to go on a tour or hit the town I can and when I don't its back to fort Relaxation with food and bar in-house, and of course Guy, who can score you JR's famous BBQ ribs at 4 pm on a Tuesday.

Room Tip: The New Wings. Whit walls mahogany trim, desks, Huge beds, Rooms 24, 25, 28, 29. You will not be dis...
1  Thank Jayson K

Reviewed 28 March 2012

The dunn inn was one of the best stops on our trip! my wife and i traveled all of costa rica and we still agree that the dunn inn was the best hotel we stayed in the whole trip. its has the old charm of costa rica mixed with all the amenities that make your stay seem 5 star. honestly i wouldn't be taking the time to write this if this place didn't blow me away! they have this amazing bar and lounge attached to there historic building that has amazing food. some of the best food we'd had the whole trip, really fresh. which was a breath of fresh air to tell you the truth.
Everyone that works there is so so nice. the manager there name is guy and he's american and really just seal the deal on this place. from the second we walked in the door to the time we left he was there to help with everything. from planning little excursions to getting an amazing massage by a highly trained professional masseur right there in the hotel. really cant rave enough about this place. Over all just an amazing experience my wife and i had and if your on the fence about this place don't be its exactly what your looking for trust me!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sonny g
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Wonderfull service and the people were great. The rooms are nice and clean and the place is a mansion converted into hotel with around 30 rooms. Good choice if you want to stay away from the chains and being just a number. The Dunn will make you want to come back.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Markpvcr
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I love this place! I am actually writing to you from a super comfy couch in the lounge. The WiFi is fast and who doesnt love big screen (11 to be exact!) TV's. They have been showing all of the games from the states, so I havent missed any of the NCAA tournament. The food in the retaurant is very good and i have noticed a bunch of business people eating here for lunch; always a great sign when locals come. Make sure you try the chicken wings, peruvian ceviche, and carribean chicken meal. I found the place by happy accident, and will definitely stay here in the future. I met the manager, Guy, when i first arrived and let me tell you that he is one heck of a great guy. He is attentive, very friendly, loves to help, and is eager to introduce guests so everyone feels at home. The hotel looks like it was recently updated. I was reading the history of the place on a wall plaque, and apparently the place was two neighboring mansions that were converted into a hotel way back. All of the rooms are a little different, and the one i stayed in well appointed and confortable. My room happened to be under the stairs, and they creaked loundly when people walked down. I tend to sleep like the dead but i did notice it a few time in the early AM. The bed is comfy and the A/C is quiet. I would also like to note that the water pressure is actually good here. I have been in Costa Rica for two weeks and this is the first hotel with a decent shower. The Dunn Inn is a must for great and affordable accomodations. You will not be disappointed!

Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank malibuss67
Reviewed 22 March 2012

After staying at other hotels in San Jose I decided to give the Dunn Inn a try. Well that was a few years ago and I still look forward to my stay there. I just returned from a stay May 14-20th. As always I can't say enough about the Hotel and staff. The rooms are clean and the employees are all so helpful and gracious. The meals I had there were great. Thank you Guy and all for a wonderful stay. Richard J.

Room Tip: I have only stayed in the standard rooms and they were quiet and comfortable.
2  Thank Richard J
Reviewed 19 March 2012

The Dunn Inn is located in downtown San Jose in the historic Bario Amon. It is close to many sites of interest in the city. This is a small boutique hotel. On the hotel side it has a beautiful, elegant restaurant. The food is very good and it is priced for a good value. The service is very good and everyone has a great smile. They have added onto the hotel with a large contempory restaurant/sports bar. A big open space with a dining room and TV's everywhere. All the food comes out of the same kitchen. This room has a great upbeat atmosphere. Depending on your mood, one of the two dining rooms will make you happy. The main reason I like this hotel is the service. Everyone is very friendly and really wants to please you. The rooms are very clean and have all the modern amenties you want. This hotel offers a great location and service.

1  Thank markboyne
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This is a quaint hotel with each room decorated very nicely. The service was exellent and the food was great. I have to commend the manager, Guy Grand, who went out of his way to make sure everything was superb. I give it an excellent rating and I look forward to going back very soon.

Steve G.

Room Tip: All the rooms were fantastic.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo