“A charming hotel in the centre of town”
Review of Hotel Dunn Inn

Hotel Dunn Inn
Ranked #19 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We spent our first night in San Jose and Costa Rica at Hotel Dunn Inn.

The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Once checked in they were very happy to describe the locality and even recommend a bar/restaurant for us. Our early-morning checkout meant that we missed breakfast.However, we were pleasantly surprised when we were given a take-out breakfast!

The room was on the small side and fairly basic but had lots of character. We had a corner room and so had lots of light. A downside was that the street outside did get quite noisy in the evening, which meant we couldn't have the windows open.

The bathroom was very small but functional and clean.

The hotel bar was busy on the night we stayed (it was Cinco de Mayo). Although vibrant and lively, we didn't hear the bar at all from our room.

The location is central and you can walk to the main shopping district and the National Museum in a matter of minutes. Like much of San Jose, it can get quite gritty in the evening.

A great little hotel, with charm, character and friendly staff.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
John G, General Manager at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Thank you for this excellent feedback. I will be feeding this back to my team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future at the Hotel Dunn Inn.

Rgds
GM

There are newer reviews for Hotel Dunn Inn

Reviewed 13 May 2012

I want to thank Dunn Inn staff unfer the leadership and management of John G for making my stay in San Jose a memorable one.
I stayed at the hotel for several nights with a group of friends and we were all impressed by the great service, good and reasonably priced food, nice and clean rooms, and a fantastic bed (especiably important ot me due to back problems). For leisure there is a great sports bar with live shows at some of the nights, from Mexican country music to professional latin dancers.
Every request was treated with upmost efficiency and always with a smile. Nothing was too difficult.
I will definitely return, as the Dunn Inn has become my only option in San Jose.

Room Tip: The new wing is more modern and very nice
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Hotel Dunn Inn on TripAdvisor and with the travel community. We are so glad we are succeeding to make you feel happy during your stays with us. All our team will be at your full disposable anytime you visit San Jose, Costa Rica and always ready to accommodate you.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 11 May 2012

We wandered into the bar at the Dunn Inn on a Sunday afternoon after an overnight flight and brief nap looking for lunch and drinks. We had a room at a fortress-like hotel 2 blocks away with no restaurant.

The food was good, prices reasonable and the server friendly and helpful. Both my traveling companions and I needed a room on the way home so we inquired about rates. The manager (who's card I can't find) offered to show us a room which was apparently in the newer wing and very nice. The price was more than our current accommodations but the bathroom was inviting instead of musty and tile beats worn out carpet any day. We both booked rooms for out return.

Later that day after a trip to the gold museum and much wandering we were worn out and hungry with a 6:30 AM transfer to Tortuguero. We decided to return to the Dunn Inn for dinner and again had a great experience. The manager remembered us and brought chips and salsa to our table as soon as we sat down. We had another good meal and left looking forward to coming back.

When I stayed on the way home the experience was just as good. No ringing to have a reluctant clerk buzz you through the door and the concierge notices the cab coming and is waiting to bring your bags in. They have a $25 ride to the airport (cheaper than a cab) and I knew it would be on time based on their service so I requested a ride at 3:30 AM. The desk clerk offered a wakeup call but I didn't need it.

She took me to my room which was apparently in the older wing and smaller but recently redone and very nice with a ceiling fan, AC, big wall mounted flatscreen TV and a large shower. After a shower I went down to the bar again for dinner. The server was again very friendly and attentive and the meal was good. If was cinco de mayo and surprisingly the margarita was very good. Shaken and served up, with a good balance of sweet and sour.

On the way to my room I asked the same front desk clerk where I could find ice for my room. She asked if I had the ice bucket from my room (not plastic, with glasses and a tray also not plastic). I offered to get it but she went behind the bar, filled another ice bucket and brought it to me.

At 3:20 AM the same front desk clerk offered to make me fresh coffee while I waited for my ride. I knew there wasn't time but was impressed by her offer. I knew she remembered my by now but even if it was someone else I'm sure the service would have been just as good.

I look forward to returning to CR and know I'll stay here on my way in and out.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. This is what makes our job so pleasurable!!! Thank you on behalf of the Hotel Dunn Inn staff. We look forward to be at your service on your next trip to San Jose, Costa Rica.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 7 May 2012

Ended my 8th stay at the Dunn Inn less than two weeks ago. With minor exceptions, the staff was again very helpful and friendly, providing an at home feeling. The addition of John G as manager has led to significant improvement, as the previous manager was often indifferent to guest concerns. It is a very good hotel for the single male visitor who wants to enjoy the nightlife of San Jose, as well as the recent and very nice sports bar addition. Because it is not a large hotel and located in the historic district the hotel is better suited for stays of several days, rather than one night to or from San Jose. The restaurant menu is typical for San Jose, but has a variety of choices and is being upgraded. New management has expressed an interest in more creative menu choices, which could make the restaurants, both hotel and sports bar, destinations rather than just accommodations. The weekday lunch specials are just that, special and more than reasonably priced. Perfect hotel for visitor without a set agenda who just wants to experience the people and attractions of San Jose on a day to day basis. Also, because of the attentiveness of the staff, a very good hotel for visitors in San Jose for the high quality medical and dental care available in Costa Rica.

Room Tip: The newly remodeled rooms at the south end of the 2nd floor are very nice and reasonably priced.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time and share your experiences with others. It is very rewarding for the hotel team to receive such wonderful comments. We are looking forward to welcome you in a near future.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Third time and still happy. Everyone there spoke English, but they were polite enough to let me practice my Spanish in our interactions. Food was good and not expensive and neither were the drinks! Rooms were nice and had flat screen TVs. I would recommend this place and this is my 3rd time there.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank tucker941
John G, General Manager at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2012

I would like to thank very much by writting your comments in tripadvisor.com. It was a pleasure knowing that you had a wonderful stay experience at the Hotel Dunn Inn. Your review will definitive incourage our associates to keep on mantain the quality and standards of service.

Thanks again, best regards!

Reviewed 23 April 2012

A big thank you to Guy and John at Dunn Inn for once again going out of their way to make sure I had a great stay. Those two guys are great!! The food was great as usual, the staff was attentive and helped point me in the right direction, and it is always nice to wake up in their beds, most comfortable in San Jose!! Thanks everyone and look forward to seeing everyone again soon.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank austintxyeah

Thank for your great feedback. We are excited that you continue to visit us again when you come to San Jose, Costa Rica

We would be honored to serve you again and again. We will be waiting.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

On one of my early trips to Costa Rica I Managed to stumble across the Dunn Inn Hotel on an afternoon walk. This is were I met Guy Grand and the rest of the staff. He took me on a tour of the hotel and it was beautiful and refreshing. The staff is very friendly and accomidating to your every need. They go out of there way every time. Since that tour I've stayed at hotel 8 times in last year and a half. There are two bars one which more of a dinning experience and another which is a sports bar with every sport on serveral flat screen T.V. 's and a glassed in enclosure that gives a new eligant appearance. The Food in the hotel is very good, often times I just eat in hotel most of the time. The location is centralized and there are other eating establishments and even a zoo just blocks down the street. This is definitely my first choice will staying in San Jose

Room Tip: there is no swiming pool but there are two computer stations for free internet access to hotel guest...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank DONALD P

Wow! This means a great deal to us, thank you so much. Please tell your friends! We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Dunn Inn in the years to come.

Kindest regards,