“Vacation on 4th of July”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Dunn Inn

Hotel Dunn Inn
Ranked #17 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
texas
“Vacation on 4th of July”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

Great inn. Very friendly staff and super clean rooms. Great food and drink. Gringo spoken there. Recommend for anyone who whats personalized service in nice environment. Close to downtown and street mall. Ask for Guy and all your troubles will be solved immediately. Treat you like family. Would not consider any other place in San Jose now that I have stayed there 3 or 4 times. Malcolm in middle from Tejas

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Mac v
John G, General Manager at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Dear Malcolm,

Thank you for your review. I’m very glad that you enjoyed your stays with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Dunn Inn Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

John G.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

I have been traveling on business to Costa Rica for over 25 years. I have stayed at over 30 hotels (best estimate) in and around the San Jose area. This past year I've been staying at the Dunn Inn on a fairly regular basis every 6 to 8 weeks. I have never found a more inviting hotel or group of people working at a hotel anywhere in Costa Rica. From the experience at check in until you check out it seems like there are people attending to your every need along the way. The rooms are clean with great bedding, the shower pressure is actually wonderful and the hotel is pretty quiet in the evenings for those who want to enjoy their rest.
The continental breakfast is really great with fruit, toast, cheese and coffee and the upgraded opportunities for breakfast are wonderful as well. The barn restaurant please pretty white rock music that never interferes with your ability to have a conversation with your fellow travelers. The food in the restaurant which I've now eaten at many times is above and beyond what you would expect in a small boutique hotel. The chef was trained at Johnson and Wales in the US and has great talents even if you ask them to do something special. They have big-screen TVs to watch whatever sporting events you'd like to enjoy. It is very relaxing place. What really makes it stand out though is the service in the restaurant and bar. They seem to remember what you enjoy, how to make your drink and they are great conversationalists besides.
While I was there a couple of weeks ago there was a huge group which filled the rest of the hotel that was on a Christian mission in Costa Rica. I heard the people leading their group wave about the hotel as well and expect that they will probably, when they finish their mission write a nice review for trip adviser as well. Thanks to Guy and John for all of your attentiveness. You really do know how to make people feel special. please pass on my regards to the staff. I have never written a trip adviser report before but I felt that this property really deserved it

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear Michael,

We believe that there is nothing better than a review from one of our guests, when it comes to advertising our business. And with yours you made us feel very proud and motivated to continue to work on doing our best every single day. Our goal is to make sure that every single guest leaves having had a wonderful experience with us.

We thank you for being our guest and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards,
John G.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

Man, I have had found a hidden gem; this place is SUPERB, AWESOME and a 10 plus on a scale of 1-10, and out of this world. First, the management is outstanding and were like family to me. Guy and John took care of all my hotel needs and were always available for questions. I want to recognize several of the staff for their incredible service: Marcela B was incredible and went above an beyond to get me future reservations-- she had such an incredible smile. Carolina and Hellen in Rick's Sports Bar were awesome always serving me the best drinks and meals recommended places to go for nightlife, and we always joked and had a great time. The wait staff during breakfast: Andrea and Xaviera were prompt, always greeted me with a smile and provided incredible service. Finally, YORLENY, MY MASSAGE THERAPIST- HONEY YOU ARE THE BOMB! VERY BEAUTIFUL WITH GORGEOUS SMILE AND GIVE A MASSAGE LIKE NO OTHER. I workout 5 days per week and frequently get massages; she is by far the best-- totally incredible. YORLENY, I WILL DEFINITELY BE GETTING MASSAGES EVERY OTHER DAY UPON MY RETURN IN AUGUST; you impressed me and picked up a long term customer.
In closing, Hotel Dunn Inn and staff are the bomb. Wow, what a hotel. I am a frequent traveler to San Jose and just found a new hotel home when in San Jose. Get ready staff, you will be seeing a lot of me. LOL. For those out there looking for a place to stay, stop looking and head to Hotel Dunn Inn; they have great Happy Hours, and an awesome sports bar called Rick's. Tell them, Rick M sent you; I was there July 7-9, 2012 in room #15. BTW, BOOK A HOUR MASSAGE WITH YOURLENY! She is the best!!!!! There is nothing better than an incredible massage from a gorgeous woman. I really enjoyed my time at Hotel Dunn Inn and miss all. See you in August/Sept 2012.

Room Tip: Room #14 and #15 can get a little loud- hey people are on vacation and having a great time. This is...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Worldclasstraveler64
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent visit to the Hotel Dunn Inn, San Jose. We appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We are certainly extremely thrilled to learn that we exceeded your expectations during your stay with us at the Dunn Inn Hotel.

Accolades and sentiments of appreciation such as yours only encourage us to further improve our services and facilities.

We look forward to welcome you back in August.

Warm regards,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012 via mobile

very nice hotel with friendly and helpful staff near the center of san jose. we stayed two nigths in June. Due to low season, ghe hotel was very quiet... included breakfast could be more but was ok.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank patrickbswitzerland
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to hear that you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed the performance of our hotel. Thank you for your comments as through these we continue to learn more about our guests and will help us provide them with such impeccable service. We are looking forward to seeing you again!

Warm regards,
Miami, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Hotel, as it was my 1st. it's a hidden gem. My friend and I stayed a few nights before heading to the beach, and returned a few days later to finish our stay at the hotel. Staff is really friendly and helpful, I had reserved a deluxe room, and when I realized, after staying one night, that this particular room had no AC, they changed me without any problem to another room with AC. I know many europeans don't like AC, and prefer a room like this, but I come from Florida where I can't live without AC. Rooms were all very clean, and very nice remodeled bathrooms. I can't wait to see how the expansion of the hotel comes along. Keep up the great work Guy and John!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Luis P
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review in Tripadvisor. we are delighted to read that we were at the level of your expectations ;such good comments will surely motivate our associates and confirm that we are on the right improvement direction.

Look forward to welcome back to the Dunn Inn Hotel.

Yours faithfully

John Gomes GM.
Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

I have been staying at the Dunn Inn, in Barrio Amon, San Jose for 8 years. It seems like the Dunn Inn is my home, in San Jose. The staff are super friendly, the rooms are very clean, with a restaurant and a bar. It is also centraly located, near the Nacional Theater, shopping and the parks. I highly recomend the Dunn Inn.

Room Tip: Some rooms are better than others. It is better to ask....
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

How wonderful of you to let us know that the Dunn Inn is your HOME in San Jose.
All of us strive every day to give our best to our guests.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon, I remain

Sincerely

Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

We stayed here on our last night in Costa Rica. I must say we were a little disappointed. We had read such good things about this hotel. We stayed in a very small and cramped room with one tiny window near the ceiling that looked out into the restaurant. It was very dark with terrible lighting. It smelled a little damp. There are hardly any windows in the hotel or restaurant. We didn't want to go out in the dark around San Jose, but were weren't thrilled with sitting in our dark room all night. There was no temperature adjustments in the room, so it was hot. The breakfast that was included was very basic. It was clean and sufficient, but there are probably better options out there for $80 per night.
On the good side, the staff was all very friendly and helpful, and the guard at the front definitely made us feel safe in what seemed to be a little bit of a sketchy part of town.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marci M
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your stay at the Dunn Inn and your comment on Tripadvisor.
We very much regret that we haven't fully meet your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies. Usually we receive very high comments. But we do agree that we are a special Hotel, since we exist in what use to be an old mansion, build in the early 1900 and we tried to keep the integrity of the building when turning it in to a Hotel. So some of the rooms are a little cozier, but with a lot of character. Next time you come to San Jose, we invite you to stay in one of our new additions. Brand new rooms offering a more modern style and with more space.
Regarding feeling safe, I can assure you that we are in a safe part of town. Since I have been here, we never had any problem, us or any of our guests.
We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon to the Dunn Inn Hotel.
Best regards,