“Great Small Hotel in San Jose”
Review of Hotel Dunn Inn

Hotel Dunn Inn
Ranked #19 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Toronto, Canada
“Great Small Hotel in San Jose”
Reviewed 20 August 2009

I took a few days to visit San Jose for the first time, I will review the excursions as well, but needless to say, all were excellent. As to The Dunn Inn, an early 20th century converted home (2 actually) with several single rooms, private bath, a small bar and breakfast area, as well as being very convenient to the central area of San Jose. From the time I called from the airport (calls are cheap, but get a pre-paid calling card at the airport) I was treated very well, and a room was had for about $60.00US, including taxes. I paid in cash but cards are accepted. I used an orange taxi (govt controlled, but red ones, private are fine as well) for $19.00US got a 20 minute ride to the hotel. Check in was quick, I was given a room on the main floor w/out air con (that's OK as the city is temperate) but I asked for an upstairs room with a window that opened, and they graciously accepted. I was given room #25 on the second floor, no elevator, so mobility could be a problem, but it was clean, with air con, a big private bath and a very comfortable bed. Sleep was no problem, hotel is quiet and other residents (lots of german, american, spanish) were very considerate. Continental breakfast was sliced fresh fruit, toast, and endless fabulous Costa Rican coffee, you could order eggs or oatmeal or whatever, but I wanted to eat out, explore, and learn about the country. I booked 2 tours through Gray Line tours, city walking tour, half day was $39US, and well worth it, lots to see, lunch was included, then I went to the Poas volcano, the Doka coffee plant, and Sarchi artist/furniture town/plant, well worth the $100US, but you could go zip lining, white water rafting, or see shows and the coast (about 3-4 hours away by bus). Met 2 great guides ( I can provide contact info) and had a private walk tour to the central market, well worth the trip, usual trinket stuff, but learned a lot about the people, the food, and a bit of the culture, for $20US it was a super bargain. Didn't have much more time as I was only there for 4 days, but had a great steak at Lukas in El Pueblo, enjoyed a few Imperial beers with the guides and other guests, all in all the Dunn Inn is top marks with me, I will recommend it to anyone. Taxis are very cheap, use them, keep off the streets after dark, not because of major crime, just petty stuff, although I didn't have any trouble. But check out was quick, everyone smiled and asked me to return, and I hope to do just that . I will be glad to answer any questions, just drop me a note.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank ExBeachers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Florida
Reviewed 18 July 2009

During the Memorial Day weekend, my regular spots Del Rey and Morazon were booked. Looked up Dunn Inn and the rest is history. Excellent staff and good restaurant and bar. Very good security who ensures the safety of its guests. Calls from front desk upon departure of guests. Stayed at Dun Inn in July 2009 and will stay there from this day forward. Thank you Dunn Inn for two very pleasant stays.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Everfieldce
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 20 May 2009

i didnt have any of the problems others have mentioned. my plan was to split my stay in SJO between several hotels. my first stop was Dunn Inn and i couldnt find a reason to leave.

i caught a taxi from the airport. it was about $20USD. i showed up without a reservation and was able to get a room ($60) no problem. breakfast was included. each room had a safe. i dont know if it was large enough to fit a laptop. the rooms are not huge but i cant complain. the hotel was converted from an old mansion. (so says the sign in the lobby). the rooms (at least the two i had) are normal bedroom size. If you're looking for large luxury rooms dont stay here. during cleaning time i walked passed a few open rooms downstairs that were pretty big. still wouldnt call them luxury tho.

i'm not an adventurous eater, but to me the hotel restaurant food was good. seems like shrimp or chicken and rice are staples on the menu in many places.

the taxi driver (from the airport) repeated dont walk around at night. i took this as meaning the whole of the downtown area. taxis are inexpensive. have the front desk call a taxi for you. the company will give them the number of the car they're sending. the doorman/security matches that number against the car that shows up. then they ask where you're going. its like if anything happens they want to know who to go after. i felt really safe. the taxi fare to ave central(shops, restaurants, etc) was 830CRC. give the driver a 1K bill and tell em keep the change. just make sure they use the meter. i posted a picture of the outside of the hotel. the red car parked down the street is in front of the clarion hotel. they have a restaurant (i didnt try it) and casino (small and never crowded). across the street from the clarion is a dance club. pretty decent music but i didnt go in.

all the hotel staff were very helpful to me. there's a big tour book at the front desk. i told the lady a few specifics and she made all the arrangments for me. rental car and 3 tours. they have gated parking on the side of the building. the doorman never had a problem with me leaving the rental by the front door. matter fact he told me to leave it there so he could watch it. the bar girls remembered and greeted me by name. i didnt ask before hand and they charged me 5 or $6 to iron a pant of pants. there are two internet computers in a little room down the hall from the lobby.

from price, to service, to security, to room cleanliness and quality i would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank LR72202
Houston
Reviewed 30 March 2009

Everything is falling apart. We had a room right on top of the kitchen and the noise and smell started at 6am, they promised wireless Internet but there was only wired. Although the staff is friendly and fast to help, and they have airport shuttle. They claim the location is in the good area but it is at the foot of a steep hill and an evening walk in the downtown area (about 8 blocks) is out of question if your travel companion is over 60, especially if a security guard tells you about somebody mugged in the neighborhood yesterday. The restaurant food is nothing special. No restaurants around except the one at Clarion hotel across the street - and service there is awful. We got what we paid for but I will stay at a different place next time.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank sokolniki
california
Reviewed 15 March 2009

Small clean hotel, great location, good food, Nice staff......resonably priced. Poker accross the street :0) ........This is a fun happy little place!

Free Wireless Internet ! I Like !

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed 25 February 2009

We arrived at Dunn Inn. I booked this hotel via phone (the only one) since they weren't repsonding to my emails. I got a price of $60/night, but when I got there, they told me $80. We stayed b/c we were tired from a day of traveling and the location looked nice enough to walk around in (which is was). Our room was TINY, but at least we had a nice window looking out into the enclosed courtyard. We had a TV with cable (where we caught one of the College Bowl games), a stocked fridge (decent priced items), and a sub-par restroom. The worst thing was the cold water- they didn't have any cold water...for the increased cost, I certainly expected at least warm water. That wasn't pleasant. Also, don't get your laundry done here b/c it is expensive. Other than that, it was quaint and quiet. The bed was fine and it provided us a good night's rest for the next day's travels to Nicaragua.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
coastal , georgia
Reviewed 12 February 2009

Small but very clean hotel with an amazingly friendly staff. A great value for the dollar. Excellent restaurant and bar, with a very good dollar exchange rate. The sea bass grilled with butter and garlic was so good ( and very reasonable ) that I went into the kitchen and tipped the cook. I will stay there again. .. Jack H. , Georgia

• Liked — friendy
  • Disliked — not a terrific neighborhood at night but a $2.00 cab ride cures that
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)