“Well Worth it!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
South Lake Tahoe, California
“Well Worth it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2011

For the price this hotel was perfect. Charming and historical, not another cookie cutter hotel. Clean room, nice staff, pretty restuarant and central location. Took the city bus from the airport (easy and a dollar) then a 2 dollar taxi to the hotel (close to bus station). I had a Great $35 massage that night in my room booked through the front desk. It was professional and fantasric! Would stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2010

This is my second trip to San Jose and both times I stayed at the Dunn Inn for a few nights. My rooms were superb, especially this past year, where I upgraded to the suite. I had 2 TVs! Rooms were very clean and my bed was super comfortable. I liked the food. Front desk was great. We told them we wanted to go on an excursion and they worked on getting us a van and a driver while we ate and had a few choices for us by the time we finished. I def. would say they went above and beyond. Bill was very fair too. I'd recommend. Thanks.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2010

This place is on a rocket to the moon, the new changes in the rooms, the new planned sports-bar and specially the food. -- This has always been a safe, quaint & quiet, as well inexpensive place for our people to stay over in San Jose on business. But lately the new staff is on a mission to take this place to the next level, and maybe the one beyond that.

The chef is phenomenal making every dish exciting, with flavor that jumps of your plate and palette. There is something on the menu for everyone, and although this place has a fun adult feel to it, I see many families dining in as well.

The rooms are clean, the bilingual staff is friendly and helpful. If you are looking for a cookie-cutter American style chain hotel this is not it, nor is it faulty towers. This place has a pulse that you can feel as the ex-pats and locals all intermingle that I enjoy.

This is not say that the Dunn Inn is without it faults, they are they there like anywhere, but we will say that is part of the color. But if you are looking for a new base of operation in San Jose and enjoy mixing sanity with a little fun make the Dunn Inn your place.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2010

I traveled to San Jose for business for 3 days in November. The hotel Dunn Inn is a great place. The staff are very friendly and accommodating. The rooms are very clean and spacious. I have travelled a lot in Central/South America and this is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in. The hotel has free wi-fi and the shuttle service to and from the airport is great. Also, the food and the Tropix bar is fantastic and they have a 2 for 1 happy hour drink special everyday! I would highly recommend staying at the Dunn Inn.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank NJTravelguy1
United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2010

Recently we stayed at the Hotel Dunn Inn for two separate nights. I would not stay her again. The people who worked there were nice enough but they seemed to have some attitude that they worked at some high class place, and believe me, this place is not that. Also, I think our room was overpriced.

The worst part about it was the noise. We were kept up very late by noise from the bar downstairs. It sounded like some man was having an argument/fight with himself that went on for an hour. No one seemed to try to get him to stop or quiet down. I must have finally fallen asleep, because just before midnight I was woken up by loud noises from the neighbors having sex. It sounded like it was right in our bathroom - the noise carries SOO much in this hotel. Then they stopped abruptly and the woman went out in the hall and had a really loud conversation with another woman and there was lots of loud laughing. Then another door opened down on the other end of the hall and some man's voice joined the loud conversation. This all kept me up for at least 40 minutes or so, because again, no one working there came to stop the noise. Then around 1am I was awoken again because of the loud voices and people slamming doors. I was kept awake again for some time, and was awoken again at 2am due to loud noises and clomping around on the hallway floors and stairs. Then I heard more loud voices, almost yelling, loud laughing and more slamming doors. Even though people are apparently working at the hotel all night, no one seemed to think they should ask these 'guests' (probably really prostitutes) to quiet down.

I overheard a man in the bar talking about how he switched from staying at the hotel Brittania to the Dunn Inn because at the Britannia they wouldn't let him bring his 'girls' back to the hotel, where as at the Dunn Inn that doesn't seem to be an issue. Well, apparently it isn't, as it kept me up almost all night. I guess the guy bringing his 'girls' back to the Dunn Inn must pay a pretty penny to have his partying ways take precedence over the comfort of all the other hotel guests.

The prices at this hotel are high for everything they offer. We also used the shuttle service between the hotel and the airport, and that charge was way too high - just the same as in the states.

Plus, we felt we were getting bites of some kind when in the bed, but we couldn't find any bugs.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ILoveVacations66
Key West, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2010

Behind paper thin walls with indian names on the doors, In my case the prize behind door #4 also know as uren I was unwittingly entertained by the couple enjoying themselves while engaged in the sex act.

I Papi I Papi, I do beleive she may have won an oscar.

The corn chips and guacamole did excell in the restaurant and the two for one drinks during happy hour, were greedly consumed.

The Wi fi and well stodked mini bar in the room were like a dream about a home away from home, coming true.

The 24 hr. coffee pot, very nice and the coffee is the best, Meow! there is.
It may be hard navigating to the 5th star , however the Dunn Inn is well on its way.

Hark the hearld, I do beleive they are at it again in the room next door Kamuk.

It is not so bad really, perhaps an audial voyers dream hotel. The Sirens song attentive.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2010

The girlfriend and I stayed here in September for 3 nights in San Jose. Nothing but positive things to say…
The airport shuttle picked us up and then took us back at the end of our stay. This hotel was going through some major additions with the construction of a casino and other renovations, but despite the staff’s apologies about the changes we never even noticed. The hotel is unique to other hotel’s as you might’ve read, in that it was a large mansion that had been redecorated as a modern hotel. We stayed in a room that had a balcony the first 2 nights. Then we drove to other parts of the country, and we were happy enough to return for our last night a week later.
Coffee was available all day long. The staff was exceptionally helpful, especially compared to other places in San Jose we had visited. The receptionists helped us mail some postcards when we waited too long to buy stamps. There are 2 PCs with internet that were available all day and night. Other hotels in Costa Rica all made us pay so much per minute for internet use, but not this hotel. We were ,of course, eager to go out at night to eat and dine, but we ended up drinking and eating at the hotel for half or most of the meals because of the better food, price and happy hour specials.
The neighborhood was just fine. It was just a few minutes walk up the hill to the main square and the market streets. The hotel is really close to the zoo also There was a doorman and someone at the reception desk every time we walked by.
The hotel attracted a good mix of Spanish and English speakers. The staff was helpful with the fact that our Spanish was not up to par. They showed us where the sites were and where to go for the holiday (independence day) parade.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple