“Hidden Jewel”

Hotel Casa Roland San Jose
Ranked #33 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I was referred to this hotel by a local expat who was very familiar with the area. My plane arrived late and there was only one cab left to take me to Case Roland. The driver knew exactly where it was but I was a little concerned with some of the neighborhoods we had to go through to get there. Turns out he was just taking shortcuts and we were there in no time.

It was the middle of the night so when we drove up the place looked like a jail. Iron bars all around it and not way to get in without ringing the night bell. It took several minutes but they finally let me in. I was still a little nervous because it was dark and the neighborhood didn't look great. But they got me to my room immediately and it was great! Very clean, spacious, nice furniture, and air conditioned. No elevators so I had to make a couple of trips to get all my luggage in. No problem though.

The next morning I got to walk around the hotel and found it was really cool! Lots of original and local art on the wall, neat little nooks to sit an read, an open air patio with lots of plants and comfortable chairs, and a tiny eat in kitchen restaurant. Breakfast was included and it was basically anything on the menu. The cook was gracious and was also the waitress.

I didn't get to look around the area much but I could see why there were bars on the doors and windows. It was not the greatest area to go for a run but I am not sure there would have been a problem. I just was not used to it.

After a 3 month stay on the beach I returned and spent the night before going back to the states. I got to experience the late evening bar and was surprised there were several very attractive young ladies who seemed to either work there or were waiting on someone.

Duhhhh.....

They were not intrusive nor solicitous so there was not problem.

The owner is an American and his marketing manager told me they have another hotel and a boat in another area of Costa Rica and take deep sea fishing charters out. Did not get to experience that but will the next time I go.

All in all it was a great experience with very friendly staff in super clean and well appointed rooms. I will certainly go back.

Room Tip: Since it is a boutique hotel, all the rooms are somewhat different so I don't know which are bes...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Jerry L

Reviewed 10 July 2013

I love it when I find nice places near the airport. It was like living in a local home, very nicely decorated and at a very affordable price. I wish I could say the staff was glorious but sometimes I felt they were in a hurry and didn't have much time to answer some question I had. They weren't rude, but I felt I bit left out. Apart from that the room was nice but I requested my cleaning to be done first thing in the morning and they only did it on my second day as I had requested, not a big issue, but I think they should write down guests requirements.

Room Tip: Top floor, if you can get it.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed here for a night before taking Nature Air to Drake Bay. After arriving at the international airport, and changing money upstairs at the departure area (getting a full 100 colones extra compared to the changers in the arrival area), we took an orange cab to Casa Roland. The driver recognized the name of the place right away. Cab fare came to $25.

Jessie at the reception was very welcoming. I wonder if she lived in the US--she spoke English without an accent. I had called the day before to ask for advice, since I was reluctant to make a reservation because of iffy flying weather, but she said they had lots of room on that day, which they did. We had no problem when we arrived, and she gave us the rate she mentioned on the phone, along with a nice room. I paid USD cash and got a decent exchange rate (503) although there wasn't a cash discount per se. She also helped us figure out what time we'd need to be up to make our plan, and set up a wakeup call.

We stayed in 124, which is a junior suite, and is in the back, and very quiet. The room has two windows, although there's no view; about 4 feet beyond the windows is some kind of sun screen. It was super quiet. The wifi signal is great and the hot water worked well. Nice, spacious room. I guess this is an old mansion so the rooms are laid out in groups of 4 or 5 with a seating area in between, and entertaining art.

Since we rolled in at 1pm with nothing in particular to do, we decided to walk to the mall about 1km away. It's a nice enough neighborhood so this wasn't an issue during the day. No idea how it is at night, but there are nice-ish houses around that area, and closer to the mall it gets higher end. We saw a few security guards, and also some police presence. We never felt unsafe.

On the way to mall there's a few restaurants, and then the mall has a food fair, and smattering of stores, and a cool café called Azafran. We saw lots of public buses on that road too. The walk was a nice way to introduce my wife to a costa rican neighborhood. We also happened on a high end grocery store called "Fresh." Prices were pretty similar to California, except some items like fruit juice seemed a good idea, and some imported items seemed expensive.

This was a great place to stay on our way to Drake Bay.

Room Tip: We stayed in 124, which is a junior suite, and is in the back, and very quiet. The room has two wind...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank paulkon
Reviewed 7 June 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here the night before we took a nature air flight to Manuel Antonio. The room was clean and reasonably priced. The hotel provided breakfast and was a short trip away from both San Jose international airport and the small airport in pavas

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Davb123
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Stayed here on the recommendation of regular clients. Decor is very dated but the staff are wonderful and very friendly. Spent some time in the lobby bar in the evening and staff were eager to engage you in conversation. Everything was spotless throughout. About a twenty minute drive to SJO in the morning traffic.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 21 April 2013

A delightful change from the "cookie-cutter" hotels. We stayed there one night before flying to Osa. With several stairways, alcoves, and sitting areas, it was fun finding the route to our room. Breakfast was made-to-order and excellent. The staff was especially helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We stayed here on a layover between arrival in San Jose and departure to the Osa Peninsula via San Jose's domestic airport. It was about 5-7 minutes by taxi away from the airport so perfect to get to for our early morning domestic flight. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the place itself is an interesting maze! Every corner is unique and decked out with interesting decor or art. The rooms are modern, clean and very spacious. We were a group of 8 and most of us were placed in this apartment type place with various bedrooms and a communal sitting area and kitchen. Our breakfast was also served to order. The only downside is that it is a little far from downtown San Jose and the international airport (about a 20-25 minute taxi ride which was about $25-$30 each way depending on traffic).

Room Tip: IF you are a group or a family booking various rooms, ask for the apartment/suite area down a flight...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends