“Come home to Karolina! You won't regret it!”
Review of Hotel Kaps Place

Hotel Kaps Place
Ranked #28 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 29 June 2012

A beautiful atmosphere and relaxing place to be, plus the people you meet and stories you share create golden moments! I've enjoyed every minute of my stay, and have created a family in a place I've never dreamed I could. KAPS Place is in a great location, no more than 15 minutes from downtown and offers great tour packages for those who want to venture outside the San Jose area. More importantly, here comfort meets affordability! There are rooms of different styles, so no matter your needs or preferences you will find them met here. Also, great morning breakfast with fresh fruit, and coffee/tea, the Costa Rican staple, is available all day. Great rooms, with great people, all at a great price... What more could you want? Come home to Karolina!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Kayla P
Karolina B, General Manager at Hotel Kaps Place, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear Guest. Thank you for taken the time to write us your commentary. It assist us greatly letting us know that guests can find the services, atmosphere and location Kaps Place offers that so much assist ones needs. It has been a great pleasure meeting you and we hope to see you soon again on your next long or short stay In Costa Rica.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

Kap's is great for those looking to lodge in the very center of San Jose for a long or short time. I'm working in the city and I've a nice private room and bath with a shared kitchen in the apartment annex. The rooms are all unique and most have beautiful mosaic work in them. Weekly the cleaning lady, dona Reina, changes the sheets and towels as well as sweeps and mops. Twice weekly the garbage are emptied in the room and kitchen.

Karolina, the owner, is as much a friend as a landlord. She will get you directions, taxis, tutors, restaurant recommendations and more with her extensive network of friends in the tourism industry around the country.

There is a soccer field, basketball court and running track a block from the hostel/annex complex. An excellent organic Saturday market is held there every week.

Room Tip: The annex is more quiet than the main hostel. Some people prefer the activity there, while I prefer...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank HannahJeanRyan

Dear Guest. Thank you for taken the time to write us your commentary and your recommendation. It assist us greatly by letting us know that our guests are enjoying our services and facilities. Kaps Place always welcomes guests for daily and monthly stays with services unique to its nights. It has been a great pleasure meeting you and we look forward serving you again on your next vacation to Costa Rica

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Easy walk to downtown + safe neighborhood with great variety of bars, sodas and restaurants + a great home away from home = Kap's Place.

I like hotels but my family loves Kap's Place. We are able to bring our own/buy/eat snacks whenever we want with their community kitchen with coffee/tea/drinks available.

Karolina Bermudez V is the new owner and CEO of Kap's. She has loads of experience and can help with any issue to make your trip easier and better!

Kap's is clean, good bfast, friendly and perfect for our family! We like the rooms and find it a very quiet place to stay. I woke to the birds in the morning, Perfect!

Room Tip: Check out the website for rooms before hand but be open to Karolina's suggestions! She will sho...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest. Thank you for taken the time to write us your commentary. Kaps Place is very fortunate to have its location in walking distance to downtown San José and places to make your stay more comfortable without hassles. We are very glad to know that you have enjoyed our facilities and accommodation. It has been a great pleasure meeting you and we look forward serving you again at our home away from yours on your next vacation to Costa Rica.

Reviewed 27 April 2012

I am just finishing a stay here and it was great--probably the best organized guesthouse I have ever stayed in. My room was off the lobby and since they have a quiet time from 8 pm on, noise was no problem. They can arrange any tour you want for you, just like any other place in San Jose. The continental breakfast is included in the room rate and you can eat all you want. Coffee and tea are provided free all day, and they also have a free phone that you can call to most countries in the world free of charge. What more could you want? Great place for the budget traveler. I was here for a dental implant which is a great bargain here compared to the US and Europe.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I stayed in Kaps Place in 12/10, but I just now got into writing reviews for hotels. My trip to Costa Rica was a personal journey of sorts. I was having some personal issues at home in the US, and I wanted to run away for Christmas. I have dreamed of visiting Central America on my own, and just wandering and exploring. However I was petrified as I don't speak much Spanish and had heard all of the scary stories about tourists being robbed. I bought a Lonely Planet guidebook for CR and found that Kaps Place was one of the recommended hotels. I looked at the website many times and began to feel very comfortable with going to Costa Rica on my own. Kaps Place looked like a real home away from home, the staff looked like they would help me with anything that I needed. I especially appreciated the Taxi warning on the page. I felt that with this honest tip, I would be better armed to take care of myself if anyone tried to fool me on the streets. I have a lot of respect for Karla adding that to this page. I also appreciated the "Are we for you" page on the website. It all made me feel very comfortable.

Fast forward to my visit...Kaps Place was everything that I had hoped for and more. My room was absolutely adorable and very clean, as was the entire hotel. Everyday I marveled at what a quaint, and adorable establishment it was. I loved the courtyard as well as all of the children's toys strewn about. The staff was incredibly helpful. One night Karla's son was playing ball by himself in the hallway. I went out to say hello to him and he was extremely concerned that the noise from the ball was disturbing me. He was a very nice young man. The hotel also provided me with a cell phone which gave me peace of mind.

I stayed there for 5 nights and explored the streets and nearby towns. I shopped, ate in restaurants, wandered in the parks, and took photos. It was a wonderful trip. I truly enjoyed having Kaps Place as my home base, and felt extremely safe there. The security precautions that the hotel takes are wonderful. I appreciate that they are cautious with the taxis that they call for the guests. All taxis and shuttle that I took were phenomenal.

Prior to my visit, I had a lot of email communication with Karla. She answered all of my questions very promptly. She also asked me if I could bring her quite a few things from the USA that were not readily available to her and her family in CR. She told me that she would reimburse me when I arrived. I was happy to help her and did quite a bit of shopping for her. As she promised, she had taken the amount that I had spent off of my total bill.

Kaps Place = 5 stars from me!!!! Loved it!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 February 2012

First let me say that the support staff for this establishment were fine. Everyone was very nice. The space itself also wasn't awful.

The main problems with Kap's Place are its location and the owner.

First of all, the hotel is not close to most places in San Jose. It is out of the main part of the city and away from the more interesting neighborhoods. The best illustration of this point is that I had 2 cab drivers who didn't know where it was. TWO-- one might be a new driver, or a fluke, but two? My driver from the airport had to call his dispatcher a few times as he drove around in circles in one of the rougher seeming areas of the city. The next day, after being picked up in the center of the city, my incredibly nice driver didn't know the address and couldn't make heads or tails out of the map the hotel draws up itself for its guests. He said that it was missed labeled and ultimately had to call the hotel and be coached to the destination.

A lot of my bad feeling about the hotel also comes from a very strange series of events with the owner. Be warned: If you book the hotel she might contact you to be a courier of junk to San Jose. After I booked, expressed my preference for a room, and informed her that I would need to check in at around 2am, I received an email saying that the hotel kept regular business hours but if I would provide my address and receive packages from Amazon.com to bring to her someone would wait up for me "like Santa with milk and cookies" (her words).

So obviously I should have started looking for another hotel right then, but something in my nature decided that this was a good thing to do. Her emails mentioned that she wanted to order stuff for her children and I though it must be difficult to get some things down in Costa Rica.

Anyway, I am going to cut this short because it is boring. In the email exchanges she suggested that she would be willing to pay any baggage fees she might incur. I ended up bringing one bag more than I normally travel with, mostly filled with the cheap stuff she had ordered online. I got to the hotel and had the desk clerk try to put me in a room that was $20 a night more than the one I had reserved and sent an explicit e-mail saying i didn't want to stay in a room that cost ay more than the one I booked.

I never saw this owner the entire two nights I was there. She never made an effort to find out if I had incurred any fees for extra baggage, and she never once thanked me for making this special effort.

So I probably was a sucker for agreeing to bring the stuff down. She mentioned that some of the stuff was for a son's birthday party and I know that pulled on my heart strings. But, Really!?!?! Not a word of thanks? I'd say that speaks volumes about other issues you might encounter if you stay at Kap's Place and have any dealings with this person.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Daniel B
Reviewed 5 February 2012

It was a delight for our family to stay at Kaps place. It really felt like a home for my two boys. Throughout our trip they have felt less than welcomed at many places, but immediately upon entering Kap's Place - the bright colors and the playroom put them at ease. The kitchen was well stocked with cooking supplies and sharp knives, there are a number of places to rest, to socialize, and to sit in the sun. The beds were perfectly firm and provided the best sleep we've had in Costa Rica. It was a great experience and I will stay no other place when return to San Jose.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family