“Great place!”
Review of Hotel Kaps Place

Hotel Kaps Place
Ranked #28 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 15 November 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed our first night in Costa Rica there. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Place was very clean, decorated nicely and a nice place to relax. Free breakfast was also very good. Only thing we did not like was being in San Jose. Couldn't wait to get out of the city and head to the Caribbean coast.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Karolina B, General Manager at Hotel Kaps Place, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Customer,
Thank you for taken the time to write us your commentary.
We are very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Kaps Place offers an home away from yours with a safe, secure and family oriented ambiance with personalized customer service, which is our main goal. We are located in a very safe, quiet and peaceful neighborhood, just 10 minutes walking from San José downtown, the next time you visit us, we will show you some nice and interesting places that are located near of us. We are just in the way of many nice spots.
We hope that we may serve you again soon on your next visit to San José.
PURA VIDA!

Reviewed 21 October 2013

It was definitely the place to stay in San Jose: clean, relaxing, friendly atmosphere and very (VERY) helpful staff.
I didn’t have much time to plan my weekend in Costa Rica (following very busy 10 days- business trip, which ended in Costa Rica). Karolina (owner) was very helpful with booking the two 1-day tours I went on over that weekend. In particular, there was one tour where the booking agency was trying to charge a higher price and Karolina stepped in and managed to get the price that was originally agreed on (lower price). I did experience the personalized customer service they mention in the website.
Another thing I really liked was that they have details that make you feel very well taken care of, as an example: The breakfast is included in the price. I stayed 3 nights, but unfortunately I could only have breakfast one day (the second day the tour started at 6.20am and the thirds day I was leaving Costa Rica, taxi picking me up at 4.45am). Karolina provided me with a “packed breakfast” for the journey (included fruit, biscuits and juice). Not many hotels that have the breakfast included in their price (if any!) allow for this small but memorable gesture.
Also, the mattress was very comfortable,... Great sleep for 3 nights :-)
Overall, it was a great stay. I am definitely visiting them again next time I am in Costa Rica.
Thanks team!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Karolina B, General Manager at Hotel Kaps Place, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear Nuria,

Thank you for taken the time to write us your commentary.
We offer an wide variety of tours to the most popular places at reasonable prices specially for our guests that would make it an enjoyable and relaxed vacation.

We hope that we may serve you again soon on your next visit to San José.

PURA VIDA!!!

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I stayed at Kaps Place for the month of August, paying the monthly rate, and was very happy with my decision. The ambiance is lovely…bright colors, mosaics, a fountain, zen garden, tranquil music, etc. There is occasionally incense in the lobby. Kap’s Place has a very relaxed, calm atmosphere. If you’re looking for somewhere quiet to relax from your Costa Rican adventures or the craziness of San Jose, this is the perfect place. If you’re looking for a lively place to party and meet lots of other travelers, this hotel is probably too quiet for you. There are many families staying with young children. Personally, I felt very comfortable here as a young woman living alone abroad. Every staff member was friendly and welcoming, greeting me by name every time I came through the lobby. All very knowledgeable about nearby restaurants, stores, ATMs, etc. Karolina, the owner, is a sweet, outgoing person who is always willing to give recommendations or just chat. She is very genuine in her interest in you and your comfort. I really enjoyed the daily buffet breakfast and ate there almost every morning. (It’s an additional fee and served 7-9 am.) For typical Costa Rican food, they have gallo pinto, plantains, and fresh papaya and pineapple, along with other breakfast staples- toast, cereal, coffee, tea, etc. Guests usually take their food out to eat in their outdoor courtyard, a pretty space with butterflies and hummingbirds.

All of the rooms (I’ve stayed in 3) have a hand soap dispenser, bar soap, blow dryer, safe deposit box, fan, phone, and TV…lots of amenities for the daily price. There is also coffee and tea all day in the lobby. If you stay by the month, housekeeping will change your sheets, comforter, and towel once a week. I stayed in the Annex building, which is around the corner from the main hotel and has its own locked entrance. It’s a private “house” with six rooms and its own kitchen and living area, giving you more privacy and independence. These are the rooms usually given to the monthly/long-term guests. I stayed in Annex room 6, a small 1-person room, with a BEAUTIFUL and unique tile mosaic bathroom.

The hotel’s location is a bit removed from the center of the city, but most notable sites (the Teatro Nacional, Mercado Central, etc) are still within walking distance. In the opposite direction, you can walk to the Mall San Pedro. There’s an organic farmer’s market right around the corner from the hotel every Saturday morning. It has kind of a hippy feel with live music plus food and coffee. On the way to or from the city center, the artisan market on Avenida Central between Calles 11 and 15 is a good place to stop for souvenirs.

When my original plans in Costa Rica fell through, Karolina was very supportive and helped me arrange day trips and other activities to fill my time. I took three tours booked through the hotel, all of which were hassle-free and well-run by the tour company (http://www.costaricaguides.com/). All tours pick you up right at the hotel’s front door. I took some fantastic Spanish classes at the Costa Rican Language Academy and was easily able to walk to the school from Kap’s Place. I had no problems with Kap’s Place’s airport taxi service. I had to take a taxi at 3:45 am for my flight out at the end of my stay, and Karolina personally called my room that morning to let me know when it arrived. I had a wonderful month in Costa Rica would gladly return to Kap’s Place next time I visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Karolina B, General Manager at Hotel Kaps Place, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Dear Kimberley,

Thank you for taken the time to write us your commentary.

We are extremely pleased to read that you had a great long-term stay with us. Our safe, secure and family ambiance so well described what the Kaps Place logo stands for ¨Your home in San José¨. Our personalized customer service always as our main priority.
Kaps Place offers an home to short and long-term guests with a location within walking distance from the most popular places to make your stay that much more comfortable and enjoyable. Our rooms equipped for your basic needs with hotel amenities that are hard to find in an ¨guesthouse¨ environment.
We look forward to serving you again during your stay in Costa Rica and thank you once again for your positive feedback.

PURA VIDA!!!

Reviewed 2 October 2013

It looks like a nice place but some people that work there are so rude, I think if you work with people you should make sure your staff has good people skills, Costa Rica is well known for there pura vida people, apparently this place has a lack of Pura vida... If your are looking for a place where you can hang out with friends I would remomend you a different one. There are other great places around San Jose! Places where you can meet great people and have a great time!

• Stayed: June 2013
Karolina B, General Manager at Hotel Kaps Place, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review.

Kaps Place stands for a safe, secure and family guesthouse. Our main goal is our guest satisfaction and that's why we offer a quality personalized guest service to all our guests.

I am disappointed to hear about your perception about our staff, but we have policies and rules to follow to protect us and our guests. This means that we are not allowing drugs and prostitution, if you like to be in that kind of environment then definitely Kaps Place is not the place for you.

Thanks again and greetings from your FRIENDLY PURA VIDA KAPS PLACE STAFF!!!

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Kaps Place is a peaceful, warm, and welcoming hostel. I stayed one night on my way from San Francisco to Corcovado Natl Park, and it was exactly the restorative pit stop that I needed. I explored loud and bustling San Jose during the day (20 min walk to downtown), to return to a quiet, clean, yet vibrantly decorated room. The staff helped me find a specialty computer store in San Jose (!), arranged a shuttle to/from the airport, and pointed me in the direction of the restaurant a block away with killer fried chicken (that quintessential Costa Rican dish).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Karolina B, General Manager at Hotel Kaps Place, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for taken the time to write us your commentary. We are very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Kaps Place offers an home away from yours with a safe, secure and family oriented ambiance with personalized customer service, which is our main goal. We hope that we may serve you again soon on your next visit to San José.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Hello everybody, well I want you to know that I'm a local and i'd been staying in KAPS because
my work is away from home and near Kaps, now I have one month and a half staying here and I had experience something really outstanding, the people who work here are like a family trying to embrace you, meeting you, knowing what you like, how you like it, treating you as you like, bringing a really familiar ambient in the hotel, in a way that i can say is my new home, i feel really comfortable and for now I dont want to leave, great price for the services, excellent breakfast buffet, really but really beautifull people, Karolina, J, Dotty, Ms. Reina.
I highly recomend it, I'm telling you this is your house in San Jose. They even celebrated my Birth day as a surprise, hahaha, was the best.

Regards. Esteban Izurieta C.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear Esteban,

Thank you for taken the time to write us your commentary. We are very happy to read that you are enjoying our services and that Kaps Place makes your long-term stay comfortable. Kaps Place offers an home to short and long-term stays with personalized customer service in a safe, secure and family ambiance. We hope that we may continue to be your home for many more months to come.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Awesome place to spend some time at San Jose. Clean, comfortable and safe place for a low cost and with a very cool and regardful staff. At a safe area, with a good breakfast, games room, wi-fi internet and free international calls available. As said before, they really are "your home in San Jose", but the slogan could be certainly changed to "your family in San Jose". Absolutely recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Karolina B, General Manager at Hotel Kaps Place, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear Raphael,

Muito obrigada pelo seu comentário!!!

Thank you very much for taking your time to write this nice review about our guesthouse.
I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and it is so pleasing to read that we met all your expectations with reference to our staff, location, cleaning and comfort. Kaps Place is your home away from your's and we look forward to welcoming you once again in the very near future.

Warm regards from San José your Kaps family!!!