“Super friendly and helpful, but...”
Review of Hotel Kaps Place

Hotel Kaps Place
Ranked #26 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
L.A.
“Super friendly and helpful, but...”
Reviewed 31 August 2009

We selected this hotel because it was recommended by a couple of guide books. The pros are: helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable staff, convenient and safe location. The cons: uncomfortable rooms with no hangers, noisy, couldn't sleep. We got two rooms sharing one private bath. One room had no window and no ventilation whatsoever once the door was closed. There were no hangers in the rooms or bathroom. There really were zero! We had to drape clothes or towels on beds, chairs, shower rods, TV stand. The TV wasn't working anyway. Quiet hours were 8 am to 8 pm, which we observed religiously, but the staff started noisy work at 6 am and there was no way for us to get a good night's sleep. For 3 days in a row! Even if the staff had not started the noise, the street outside somehow had random honks and shouts and bangs starting at 6 am. Also for 3 days in a row!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Oakland, California
Reviewed 2 August 2009

We got into San Jose and went to the hotel across the street from Kap's believing we had a reservation. We thought wrong and were turned away at 6am! I knew Kap's was across the street so we crossed our fingers and were ecstatic they had space and we could check in right then. They even let us have breakfast that morning. Our fellow travelers we met that morning all seemed happy to be there including a couple of long timers (stayed longer than 1 week).
We rested up, asked the staff advice on the sights, and booked our following day trip through them as well. Very very helpful all around.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed 11 July 2009

Kap's Place is a great little hotel in an excellent location in San Jose. It offers affordable and comfortable accommodation, with helpful staff.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 25 June 2009

My husband and I stayed here the night before we flew out of Costa Rica. We found this hostel/hotel to be quite nice, especially when you consider the low cost.

This hotel is really more of a compound. You go through the security gate and there are all sorts of hangout spaces and indoor gardens to relax in. When we were there we found the atmosphere quite restful and quiet. The common spaces are decorated with pretty mosaics which we found charming. They offer tea and coffee and breakfast (simple...cereal and toast). The rooms are decorated in a quirky manner, with different colors for each room. I found the rooms to be clean and neat and the bed was pretty comfortable. The shower was on the cool side, but you will find if you travel in Costa Rica on a budget that hot water can be hard to come by!

It is located near the arts district (Barrio Amon), and we felt quite comfortable walking around during the day viewing the interesting architecture and visiting the market that is a bit further away. There are some quite nice restaurants in the Barrio Amon district for the foodie in you. This is how my husband prefer to spend our travel dollars, and we were pleased with the variety and quality. The immediate neighborhood might seem dodgy to a typical American traveler, but in my opinion it was safe. Also, ask the owner about local lunch places if you are looking for an authentic workman's meal.

If you are looking for luxury, this is not the place, but for a budget traveler it's pretty heavenly! Quite, pretty, safe, conveniently located. An excellent value!

• Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank msg0lightly
New York City
Reviewed 24 April 2009

My husband and I stayed for a couple of nights in Costa Rica. I felt like I was a house guest not a hotel guest due to the hospitality and warmth of the hosts. All amenities are provided and Karla, the manager, will go out of her to accommodate any guest requests. The staff is very polite and professional. The hotel itself is pretty, quaint and very secure. I would certainly go back and recommend to others.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
alonj81
Reviewed 24 April 2009

This little gem located in San Jose has an outstanding staff. They are well prepared to provide an excellent service to every guest. The hotel has everything you would like to have when you are away from home, actually feels like home! It has awesome rooms, clean, colorful. I did not have any planned for my trip, I decided to talk to the staff, they gave me you very insightful explanations of what I had in mind to do while I was there, but the staff basically planned my trip.

By the way, I don’t want to forget, you will get all this service for a excellent price. I live in NY and every time somebody asks me where I can stay if I go to Costa Rica, the first thing that comes to my mind is Kaps Place, too bad this is not a hotel chain, but you will experience a great welcoming if your first stop is in San Jose.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
Kansas
Reviewed 23 April 2009

I have stayed at Kap's Place several times throughout the years since the guesthouse opened opened, perhaps ten years ago. Each time, Karla and the hotel staff have been warm and friendly, extraordinarily attentive, and clearly, completely oriented toward highest quality customer service. All of my needs have been met promptly and with cheer and enthusiasm. The staff has coordinated great tours and excursions to other parts of the country, going far out of their way to locate obscure hotels or restaurants that I have sought.

The Kap's Place experience really is "a home away from home"--but better! I feel completely safe (as a single, 20-something woman) traveling to and from the hotel by foot or taxi to nearby parks, restaurants, and downtown San Jose (a short walk). I would have no reservations about staying in the hotel, and would recommend it highly. You will leave knowing that you have a family in Costa Rica, and will return as soon as possible to re-live the experience.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled solo