“Excellent home away from home”

Apartotel La Sabana
Ranked #4 of 84 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
United States
“Excellent home away from home”
Reviewed 3 February 2009

Apartotel La Sabana is wonderful! Staff are friendly and knowledgeable. Security is excellent and they have an enclosed courtyard for rental cars if you have one.
This hotel is right off of La Sabana Park., near the Spanish and American Embassies. (50 meters north of the Rosti Pollo -this is how addreses are done in San Jose x meters from a given landmark).
This apartment/hotel primarily has business or medical tourism travelers. I was there for dental work. They have an excellent backroom (Monica) and frontdesk staff (particularly Christian) who are available 24/7. Tours can be booked through the hotel and the staff is helpful with all questions regarding temporary living in San Jose.
I shared a "medium" apartment (bedroom with two double beds, bathroom with full shower and a separate combination kitchen/living room. The floors were tiled and there is a selection of very nice local art in the rooms and throughout the hotel. This was the perfect size to avoid having two people kill each other over the 16 days of necessary togetherness.
The laundry is adequate (the washing machine was starting to go when I was there). Internet is available wifi throughout and a conference room has a computer with interenet access available with a key from the front desk.
There is a supermarket within walking distance and several great restaurants. Particularly interesting is the french restaurant located in an antique store almost directly across the street from the hotel that opens only for dinner in the evenings. (No English here so be prepared to gesture alot) Also a fairly good Italian restaurant around the block in the La Cristinia ( very good English here and a good place to relax after trying to make yourself understood all day long in Spanish)..
Breakfst is served in a small room off the lobby and people spread out pool side. I never did get a chance to try out the pool (Iwas there in the rainy season and it did rain alot!) or the sauna but it looked very appealing.
While there I checked out several of the other "long stay" hotels that dental patients were at and can honestly say that this is the best value for the money and in one of the safer areas of the city.
You can skirt around the park and go down the Paseo Colon all the way downtown until it becomes Central Avenue. Staying on this main drag is safest for "security". If you are hestiant about walking have the frontdesk call you a cab. It usually only takes 5 minutes for one to arrive and taking you downtown usually costs only $2 to $3. (make sure to get a licensed "red" cab). The desk can also change smaller sums for you from $$ to colones.
When getting ready to leave the country you can pay your exit tax at the ICE building (government electricity agency) rigth around the corner on La Sabana Blvd. and avoid the chaos at the airport. (Higly recommended. The lines to pay the tax at the airport were ugly!!)
Overall wonderful staff, great small apartment, good value for the money and in a relatively safe and convenient neighborhood.

• Liked — Location, staff and small artisitc touches
  • Disliked — No hot water in kitchen sink
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank denvergail

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 November 2008

I also had a dental work done, and I was looking for a room with a kitchen. I did not have high expectation at this price, and was pleasantly surprised. Rooms are very clean, cable TV, internet connection is unsecure, but reliable, and very fast. The rooms have a small safe, but my 14" laptop did not fit. Location is great, close to everything (10-15 minutes walk to the dentists office, or about $2 taxi ride) and relatively quiet. I liked the breakfast, a few different types of fresh fruits, juices, scrambled eggs, a few types of cereals, coffee was good. The pool looked very clean and pretty. Overall, it was a good value, and I would stay there again.

• Liked — Cleanless
  • Disliked — Noisy street at night - beeping, motorcycle noise (still relatively quiet for San Jose)
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank travelerd2
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 30 September 2008

I stayed here while I had dental work done in Costa Rica. The only good thing about the hotel was the really good and consistant wireless internet. THE ONLY GOOD THING.

The breakfast was mediocre, nothing special about it at all, and rather puny I thought. The pool is nice, except that if you have a courtyard room you can hear the kids screaming and splashing about all day long. The walls are very very VERY thin. I had the...misfortune...of being neighbors with a couple with two kids... who yelled, screamed, giggled, laughed, talked and played at the top of their lungs all day long. *twitch* I could hear them clear as day in my room whether they were in the hallway, in their room, in the pool, on the balcony.... very annoying. I could also hear a man on his cell phone by the pool one morning...with my door and window shut! The beds are also very hard...mine was almost like concrete...not something to look forward to after a long day on a plane! The doors do NOT have good locks. More like those little locks they have on bathroom doors...not something you want for a HOTEL ROOM. The hotel itself is very safe, and clean and nice. But I still want security from other hotel guests and staff, and the locks on the doors were just not enough.

I did wind up getting one of their kitchen suites, which was nice, because then I had a refrigerator for my own food, and my own sink and table. And also the room was a little bigger, which was good considering how much time I spent in it.

If you want peace and quiet on a trip though, this is not the hotel for you. They did have great wireless internet, and that was the only thing that kept me sane.

• Liked — Wireless internet
  • Disliked — noise, thin walls, hard bed, shoddy locks on doors
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
New York
Reviewed 29 September 2008

Do not stay here. They had an employee who stole money, then they tried to rip me off approximately $1,000. They treated me like I was some dumb gringa tourist that was made of money, when in fact I am Argentine and was working for the United Nations. I was staying in San Jose for an extended period, and was willing to pay the higher-than-rent prices because of the breakfast and nice location. It was not worth it. I had problems the entire time. I was supposed to stay 6 weeks, I stayed only 3.5 because of all the problems, and then they charged me the weekly rate instead of the promised monthly rate because I stayed 4 days less than one month. I would not recommend this place to anyone, and if the propietors want to maintain a successful business, I would highly suggest they replace their manager! I moved a block away to Mi Casa Hostel and had a WONDERFUL remainder of my stay in beautiful Costa Rica.

• Liked — The breakfast was decent.
  • Disliked — The horrible, horrible service and utter lack of professionalism
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SofiaHon, Manager at Apartotel La Sabana, responded to this review, 20 June 2009
Let us comment about the two main complaints in this guest´s review.

We encourage long stays at our Apartotel, since it is a mix between apartment and hotel. We offer special rates for weekly and monthly stays. The guest had specified she was going to stay for more than a month with us. At the time of check in we offered the monthly discount rate but specified that it applied to stays longer than 30 nights. When the guest informed us she was going to check out before the original date, we told her we could apply the weekly but not the monthly discount. She agreed, since this information had been given to her beforehand and is readilly available in our web page.

She had given partial payments for her stay in cash. For every payment, we issued a receipt, gave her the original and kept a copy for our records. At the time of her check out, she presented three receipts, which matched the copies we had kept. However, she informed us she had the "feeling" she had pre-payed a larger amount. We double checked our records and our security camera recordings, but everything matched. She had only made three payments. After explaining this to her, she agreed and payed the difference.

We had no idea she was so upset, as she understood and agreed to all of this while still with us. We are very sorry for the misunderstanding but feel we did not treat her with disrespect or dishonesty at any time. Respect and honesty are the pillars of our business and we take them very seriously.
Colorado
Reviewed 12 August 2008

We arrived in San Jose late and needed a place to stay before heading up North the following day and found this on TripAdvisor and were pleasantly surprised.

The hotel was located in a quiet area outside the city on a large park and had very secure parking, etc. The room was clean w/ a large bed and was relatively quiet overall. When in the bathroom you could hear the people in the next bathroom but otherwise we slept fine.

The breakfast the next morning was excellent w/ homemade eggs, pancakes, and rice/beans. Also, there was a ton of fresh fruit and yogurt, juices, etc.

We liked it enough to book it again for the last night we're in town before heading home.

• Stayed August 2008
1 Thank MichaelColorado
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Reviewed 17 July 2008

We stayed here one night at the beginning of our Costa Rica Trip and were supposed to stay here three nights at the end of our trip.

I will agree with many of the other reviewers that our rooms were nice, breakfast was good and this place was a good value.

The problems started when we returned at the end of our CR trip. We were five people traveling together and checked into an apartment with out a problem. We new that the second night we were going to have to move to two separate rooms. However, after breakfast we were told that we needed to move and that they only had one standard room available to put us all in. This was not acceptable.

They never acknowledged their error, but offered to move us to the Apartotel El Susteo which they said was just five minutes away on the other side of Sabana Park.

They refused to pay our cab fare to the other hotel. The other hotel was much dirtier, in an unsafe area, and had an unfriendly staff. Of course the staff at Apartotel La Sabana told us it was a nice safe hotel. The info in the room that told us to consider not going out after 6 PM told us otherwise.

So, La Sabana is a nice place just hope they don't make an error with your reservation.

• Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 29 June 2008

My husband, some friends & I stayed here for 2 nights. It was fantastic! The staff are extremely courteous & were more than happy to serve you. The rooms were a good size & the A/C worked great. It's in a quiet area close to the park. Offered a lot of security for your car with a closed garage & security guard. (Rental car theft is an issue in Costa Rica. One person had left their car outside thinking it was a joke & found the hubcaps stolen the next morning. Be careful!) The included small breakfast buffet was delicious. Pool was very nice. Property very well maintained. We would not stay anywhere else in San Jose. Would recommend to everyone.

• Liked — Quiet location, safety, service, price
  • Disliked — Nothing! Everything was great!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends