Apartotel La Sabana is wonderful! Staff are friendly and knowledgeable. Security is excellent and they have an enclosed courtyard for rental cars if you have one.
This hotel is right off of La Sabana Park., near the Spanish and American Embassies. (50 meters north of the Rosti Pollo -this is how addreses are done in San Jose x meters from a given landmark).
This apartment/hotel primarily has business or medical tourism travelers. I was there for dental work. They have an excellent backroom (Monica) and frontdesk staff (particularly Christian) who are available 24/7. Tours can be booked through the hotel and the staff is helpful with all questions regarding temporary living in San Jose.
I shared a "medium" apartment (bedroom with two double beds, bathroom with full shower and a separate combination kitchen/living room. The floors were tiled and there is a selection of very nice local art in the rooms and throughout the hotel. This was the perfect size to avoid having two people kill each other over the 16 days of necessary togetherness.
The laundry is adequate (the washing machine was starting to go when I was there). Internet is available wifi throughout and a conference room has a computer with interenet access available with a key from the front desk.
There is a supermarket within walking distance and several great restaurants. Particularly interesting is the french restaurant located in an antique store almost directly across the street from the hotel that opens only for dinner in the evenings. (No English here so be prepared to gesture alot) Also a fairly good Italian restaurant around the block in the La Cristinia ( very good English here and a good place to relax after trying to make yourself understood all day long in Spanish)..
Breakfst is served in a small room off the lobby and people spread out pool side. I never did get a chance to try out the pool (Iwas there in the rainy season and it did rain alot!) or the sauna but it looked very appealing.
While there I checked out several of the other "long stay" hotels that dental patients were at and can honestly say that this is the best value for the money and in one of the safer areas of the city.
You can skirt around the park and go down the Paseo Colon all the way downtown until it becomes Central Avenue. Staying on this main drag is safest for "security". If you are hestiant about walking have the frontdesk call you a cab. It usually only takes 5 minutes for one to arrive and taking you downtown usually costs only $2 to $3. (make sure to get a licensed "red" cab). The desk can also change smaller sums for you from $$ to colones.
When getting ready to leave the country you can pay your exit tax at the ICE building (government electricity agency) rigth around the corner on La Sabana Blvd. and avoid the chaos at the airport. (Higly recommended. The lines to pay the tax at the airport were ugly!!)
Overall wonderful staff, great small apartment, good value for the money and in a relatively safe and convenient neighborhood.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Apartotel La Sabana is the perfect mix between an apartment and a hotel.Our fully serviced apartments are the ideal lodging with the comfort of home yet with all the benefits of a hotel, such as room service, front desk services, private parking, laundry, safe deposit box, breakfast and more.We have very competitive rates, specially for long-stay trips either for a single corporate business traveler, for family groups or groups of friends.Enjoy all the privacy that you need with great independence in a friendly environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., Agoda, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Apartotel La Sabana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apartotel La Sabana Hotel San Jose
- Apartotel La Sabana San Jose