“A hidden oasis”

Ranked #12 of 65 San Jose B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A hidden oasis”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

This hotel is superb. Tucked away and very quiet. The owner could not be more charming and the walls are decorated with his wife's excellent art. The architecture of the building is quite breathtaking. If you are going to San Jose, stay here!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank david l

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Hawaii
Reviewed 3 July 2013

This hotel is very quiet and very nice; more like a B&B. Hidden out of the center of town it does require a taxi ride in but worth it! Includes a great breakfast, its clean, the owner and staff are SUPER, nice garden enclave surrounded by high walls and security gate. The decor is tasteful and the rooms are quite large and comfortable. One can walk to the main street area for a shopping center and miscellaneous eateries.

We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Since the breakfast and lounge areas are downstairs where there are rooms, I would suggest an upstai...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Poway, California
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Hotel Milvia became our home away from home as we based our (too) short week in Costa Rica from here. Steve and Carlos were excellent help in securing bus routes and taxis for us. The breakfasts were perfect for what we wanted. Some of the most interesting and friendly people shared breakfast with us and all were repeat customers who made Hotel Milvia their destination whenever in the San Jose area. When we left on for a night at La Selva Biological Station, we were able to leave our carry-ons at the hotel at no charge, leaving us only having to take our backpacks. The same was true for our 2 nights at Tortuguero. In addition, we were able to use their washer and dryer one night for a very small fee. (If you leave your laundry with them in the morning, they will return it to you neatly folded later in the day for, I believe, $10.00.)

The gate is closely monitored and it feels completely safe. The rooms are spacious and even though ours was on the street and there was street noise, we never found it annoying. If you are looking for a clean, safe, quaint, original place to stay, I highly recommend Hotel Milvia. We were grateful that it was part of our short stay in Costa Rica.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SAL1222
Shawnee
Reviewed 4 September 2012

The hotel was very pleasant and is very much like being at home. The staff was very pleasant and professional. It is a very relaxing place to enjoy a Costa Rican day. On a clear day the mountains surrounding San Pedro are beautiful but on most days the clouds roll in and obscure the view.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We stayed there for two nights, and I must say I was a bit disappointed. The reviews were very good, but my boyfriend and I found the hotel to be less than average, the breakfast was very basic- Initially we were not informed that if you wish to have eggs- you need to ask one of the staff.. the hotel itself is nice and cozy, but I cannot say it was a good value for money.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I wouldn't stay in San Jose or San Pedro again unless I had to - I find the capital and this suburb where Hotel Milvia is located to be unpleasant. However, since I had to be in San Pedro for a few days, I'm very glad I spent it at Hotel Milvia. This beautiful old mansion-turned-hotel is a quiet and relaxing spot with a stellar staff who made me and my friends feel welcome and at home. The hotel also boasts quirky artwork everywhere, including the guest rooms.

There's also a good Japanese restaurant, a cafeteria with yummy food, and a grocery store all within two blocks.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 April 2012

A stay at this hotel is is like visiting dear people you know and trust. As a single female travelor, I always felt cared for and safe. This place is charming with comfortable couches to sit in & read inside in public areas and deck chairs outside on the upper terrace, with grand views. It is superclean. Each day, I looked forward to a breakfast of fresh fruits, juices, great homemade bread, various cereals and milk...and they would even bring you freshly cooked eggs on request.
The gardens have an array of beautiful tropical plants and interesting sculptures. I enjoyed meeting travelors from around the world at breakfast each day. Thank you Steve and Carlos for making me feel like I was coming home at the end of each day.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that this is a unique 'home'.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Hotel Casa Cambranes
Hotel Casa Cambranes
#14 of 78 in San Jose
Parque del Lago Boutique Hotel

Been to Hotel Milvia? Share your experiences!