“Artistic!”

Ranked #12 of 67 San Jose B&B and Inns
Canada
“Artistic!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

A cute artistic bed and breakfast! But its located approx 20 min from downtown san jose. The area is good tho - with banks, restaurants and little shops. We found a cute little bakery - we ate lunch an Italian place that was approx a 10 min walk away. GREAT FOOD there. And we also had a good dinner at Inka grill - a peruvian restaurant 5 min away. The rooms were clean and basic. The staff were REALLY friendly and helpful and sweet. The place was unique and the art was interesting.

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank lv2travel13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
dothan, al
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

We were rafting down the Pacuare River with Rios Tropicales and staying at the rainforest lodge the next night. Just needed an overnight (12 hrs total) stay in San Jose. When we travel, even if just an overnighter, I try to choose something special. The reviews I read described the owners as art lovers with paintings by local artists displayed in the rooms. It's true, plus, in the short time we had, we received a very warm welcome and help with a travel problem, perused the art exhibits, enjoyed a great view from the balcony and loved the sound of the fountain outside the room. If you decide to stay here, request a room around the courtyard fountain. This was a good choice for a very reasonable rate - breakfast included.

Stayed September 2010
1 Thank smmtst
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

Best staff - I was there for an extended stay and the staff was very helpful - and personable. The space is fantastic and I would recommend this hotel without hesitation!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Informedtraveler2
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2009

I'm a frequent guest of the Milvia.
I love it, it's like an oasis in San José.
The owners (Florencia and Steve) always make me feel SO welcome, that it really does feel like a 'home away from home' (sorry about the cliché, but it's true!)
When I visit Costa Rica for business, its so peaceful, I actually enjoy getting my work done! And when I come for pleasure, it's lovely and cozy to recharge between outings
with a great massage, Reiki or Quantum Breath session.
Also, the art shows in the hotel are always full of lovely surprises.
Thanx Milvia, see you soon!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank LondonRollingStone
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2009

I'm of Costa Rican background but decided to stay in hotels this visit. I went to Hotel Milvia and felt right at home. The house is very authentically Tico, down to the floorboards. My boyfriend and I fell in love with the views on the small balcony on the second floor and the tiny courtyard on the first floor. Don Carlos was so incredibly helpful and patient with the 2000 questions that we had. Breakfast could be improved a bit but no real complaints. The hotel is close by the ULatina and walking distance to Plaza del Sol and all public transportation.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank xinbermz
Wilmette, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Milvia before going to the Selva Banadito Ecolodge in the Parque de la Amistad. Located in the heart of a university neighborhood, Hotel Milvia is a lovely B&B with very friendly, helpful and accomodating owner and staff.

Our 3 kids (6,4,2 years old) who needed to run around and explore loved the room, the aquariums, the gardens, the breakfast room. We had to leave at 5:30am and they had breakfast ready for us! Our luggage did not make it from Atlanta, and they dealt with the airline, they had dinner delivered for us, and they also took care of organizing our aiport transfers. We highly recommend this place.

• Liked — Open space, access to kitchen and dining room, staff, homey
  • Disliked — location for museums and restaurants but it is near a great grocery store and universities so the neighborhood needs to be discovered
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank SylvieLegere
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2008

What a pleasant surprise! We had no idea where we were going to stay for 2 nights in San Jose while we booked tours. I had my Frommers book and after calling a few places with no room availability....I called Milvia and reserved. I LOVED Milvia...what an adorable B&B. So clean, artsy, safe, quiet, spacious, organized, well maintained, nice view, tastefully decorated....1 negative COMMENT- the worst pillows ever. I was shocked as to how great EVERYTHING was...the bed, comforters...everything so clean and then you lay your head down and it is so uncomfortable it can ruin your sleep. GET NEW PILLOWS MILVIA PLEASE! Other than that......I would live in this place! The staff is so nice and accommodating. We left so early we missed breakfast.....grabbed some pineapple to go which I was so glad we did. 2 thumbs up Milvia...we will definitely visit again and recommend your place!

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Pillows
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
22254543, owner at Hotel Milvia, responded to this review, 1 November 2009
Dear Guests: We are happy to inform you that we have new pillows. There are about 5 to choose your favourite!