“A good base”

Ranked #44 of 84 Hotels in San Jose
Comox, Canada
“A good base”
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I haven't stayed here for a couple of years but before that, every year for differing periods of time. I like that it is close to Sabana Park. Lots going on there. The nearby restaurants are not great - with a couple of exceptions. If you like fast food, it is available at McDonalds. But, it is near to bus routes downtown and taxis to other areas of the city are very cheap. I understand it has been sold to a Korean company. But, friends have stayed there recently and said they really enjoyed it. Not many people staying there now though. There has to be a reason for that. Up to about 4 years ago, this place was packed for the whole high season. We were there last week to see a friend staying there and there were only 5 rooms occupied. I do not know what happened. It is quiet (mostly in a residential area with businesses around). My husband and I stayed there for a month once. He had to go to Clinica Biblica for treatment and the staff there looked after me like I was their new best friend. Excellent care (both at Biblica and at El Sesteo). There is an AM.PM nearby for prepared food or something simple you can cook in the unit. There is also a Mas x Menos (one of the biggest food chains here) nearby - take a cab, cost you a dollar. I like it here. I still recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: We prefer to be on the second floor. You cannot hear people walking around in the room above you...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Reviewed 29 November 2012

You know, any time your interaction includes apologizing to the receptionist for having to interrupt him to get your key to your room, it's probably downhill from there. I've stayed at this hotel several times over the years, it's proximity to Sabana park, ARCR, and other services makes it pretty convenient; but since it's been purchased (presumably by a Chinese family since the sign includes such characters) it's gone downhill.
I booked a room, was quoted one price as a resident who had stayed before. Arrived, and was charged a higher price. Upon questioning it, was basically told, "Do you want your room or not?" Standing there as the taxi drove off, and my bags are piled on the floor... I guess I'll stay. About midway through the transaction, the phone rang. The desk clerk spent at least 8-10 minutes talking to the person on the phone, never once attempting to close out my transaction so I could get to my room, all I needed was my key, the paperwork was completed, the colones exchanged. So finally, he hangs up, hands us the key and we're dismissed. I asked him to turn on the jacuzzi, as it was cold, covered, and seemingly closed. They obliged. We went to our room (clean, acceptable) and were well assisted by a nice valet who apologized for the long wait at the counter.
We checked the jacuzzi on the way to dinner (6:30 or so) it was warming, but not quite comfortable. Upon returning a bit before 8:00 it was hot and ready to enjoy. I went in to ask the clerk to turn off the heater as we didn't want it getting hotter, as it obviously was still heating. He told me it was closed. I questioned this, and he said it closed at 8:00, it was now 8:10. I told him it was unusable earlier in the night, he said it was ready earlier but we left. I offered that it was indeed still on, we were not going to be loud, and since the hotel had seemingly only 1 other room occupied, might he allow us to use it. NOPE!
I later went down to ask him to call me a taxi in the morning for an early morning flight. Again, in the middle of him making the apppropriate notes, the phone rang. Again, I waited for him to get off the phone... eventually he puts his hand over the phone and says, "Do you need something?" I said I was waiting for him to finish to know if I had a cab scheduled. He rolled his eyes and says, i'll call in the morning. I asked for a wake up call, "No, we don't do those".
So... this will be the last time I stay here. There are so many better options in San Jose; better prices, amenities delivered and not just advertised, and far far far better service.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Janick2010

Travellers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Montezuma, Costa Rica
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I have stayed there several times and each time is a positive experience.
Breakfast is good, as well as the friendly staff.
convenient to dental clinics, in same neighbourhood.
Walking distance to some nice smaller restaurants.
Good for bus routes, and also has indoor parking if have a car to park.
Has a nice pool area, but we have not used the pool, although many vacationers seem to enjoy the huge pool.

Room Tip: generally prefer the ground floor rooms, and towards the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank islandwmn
Torremolinos, Andalucia, Spain
Reviewed 6 September 2012

The Registraion desk is manned by very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful young men. They will suggest interesting or exciting places to visit and order your tour or taxi or make reservations. They are fluent in English, so it's a relief when your Spanish isn't quite clear enough to explain your needs.
There are two stories to this Ushaped hotel with the pool and gardens in the middle. The mezzanine on one end contains a free (Take a book or leave a book) library, comfortable chairs, fresh coffee and juice, and free breakfast bar. The laundry facilities are here and guests frequently lounge and chat in the shady area. Rates are very reasonable and guests frequently return; you may make some good friends here. There is a computer for the guests' use and now free WiFi.

Room Tip: The main floor is closer to the pool, I have had a good sleep and found cleanliness in any of the ro...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Donna C
Nuevo Arenal
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Used to be able to handle this place for a night. They have changed ownership and no longer allow a small pet which puts them off the map for us. Price is just OK, food poor, coffee weak, creepy ceilings that are hard to look up at, traffic very noisy, and easy to hear your neighbors.
Carpet that is old and weird to have in Costa Rica so nothing feels clean.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ChispitaNuevoArenal
Andechs, Germany
Reviewed 30 March 2012

for staying in San Jose for one or two nights, it´s a good alternative. It´s not far from the center, you can walk easily within 15 min. Sometimes you hear a noise from a train but thats all noises you can hear.
The rooms and the surrounding is ok. Nice Poolarea but without a bar.
Point to highlight: very friendly staff.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2012

A good hotel in San Jose, if you only stay for a night. All in all is very average, nothing to write home about. Location is quiet, if you can overhear an occasional whistle of a train passing by. Small garden with a small pool, no bar, but a fridge with drinks.

• Stayed March 2012