“Great attention” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cinco Hormigas Rojas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Jose
Cinco Hormigas Rojas
Ranked #64 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
Buffalo NY
“Great attention”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2009

Cinco Hormigas Rojas is a most unusual hotel in a lovely and safe section of San Jose. The proprietor, Mayra Guell, is marvelously attentive. The experience is well worth the price.

• Liked — value for my money
  • Disliked — limited breakfast
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2008

Beautiful wonderful place!

We stayed here a few times, as a base in the middle of Costa Rica. The owner Mayra is lovely, she is very helpful, ask her anything and she will arrange it. Mayra cares about nature, she even has a colourful garden with a varierty of birds, butterflies and bates. The place is like a extended home with amazing artistic rooms, you feel like home! And guess what, the art all over is made by Mayra herself. She must be inspirted from the inside, Good Karma, to be an artist like her. She is great, creative and very helpful to her customers and tries to advice them in anyway she can. We specially like the breakfast, it's like an artistic gift! You have to try it yourself, enjoy!
May all beeings be happy.
Love, Peace and Harmony!
Erwin and Babette

• Liked — The owner Mayra, she makes it a beautiful experience. Nature in San Jose!
  • Disliked — That it's in San Jose
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2008

If you have a heart for critters and creatures, trees and plants, or if you have an artistic spirit, you'll probably feel at home here. You'll enjoy the diversity of wildlife squeezed into the city garden. While the place is certainly not a palace, it provides for you a relatively quiet, restful little haven in the midst of bustling, noisy, and somewhat intimidating San Jose. The quarters are simple and modest, yet spashed liberally with unique artwork and decor. You'll be delighted at how an ordinary object, such as a mini fridge, can be transformed with a little imagination into an interesting art piece. Myra, the owner, is sincere and helpful, and ready to engage you and assist you about the local attractions.

• Liked — THis place is unique and interesting
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2008

Lonely planet's review of this place is so far off the writer should be fired.
An "artist's refuge" this place is not, unless you mean a museum of ugly and tacky. the entire place is covered in ugly multi-colored junk, including the toilet seats, which only makes the small dirty rooms all the more unbearable.
It is UGLY, DIRTY, SMELLY, MUSTY, DARK, and HAS NO HOT WATER. The owner is a lunatic who was unhelpful and unaccomodating.
This B & B's "breakfast" was a stapled-shut paper bag the woman left in our room while we were out to dinner. She didn't bother leaving a note about what it was, or even that we should refridgerate it. In the morning we looked inside to find our "breakfast" - ham in two pieces of bread that had sat out all night.
Her "eco-refuge" is a little garden with bats. fruit-eating bats that the owner attracts by feeding them bananas. lovely. but you know, she is bananas, and bat-@#$% crazy, so I guess that's appropriate.
and, again, NO HOT WATER.

• Liked — location is difficult to find but good neighborhood
  • Disliked — Lack of hot water, dirty/smelly/stuffy rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Battle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2008

We stayed with Mayra at the beginning of our three week trip in Costa Rica. She arranged a late night airport pickup for us, accommodated my nephew (last minute) who was on a trip through Central America and happened to be in San Jose at the same time and she was helpful and friendly at all times.

We really enjoyed our stay (three days in total with an excellent trip to Tortuguero in the middle).The area outside the B and B was mainly residential in a safe and attractive area of the city
(Barrio Ammon), with many intersting buildings nearby. Once you stepped through the gate to the property you realised you were staying somewhere unique. The garden was lovely and full of wildlife at all times of the day and the rooms, including the bathrooms, were decorated with funky art and vibrant colours.

This is not the place to come if you are looking for a homogoneous (boring) Holiday Inn type accommodation, with all mod cons but if you want a quirky, original and comfortable place to stay in San Jose, get in touch with Mayra - she is knowledgeable about her city and country and the wildlife that make it very special. Cinco Hormigas Rojas was recently recommended by a travel writer in the Observer as one of his favourite places to stay for an "eco-escape".

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Corpus Christi, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2008

We got in later than expected; almost midnight and there was a driver waiting for us at the airport. The owner was waiting for us and had our room ready. As you've read in other reviews, this is a very unique b & b, a secluded feel in the midst of a busy city. When you enter the gate it looks as if you've stepped into the forest. The owner was friendly and helpful. This is not an upscale place so if that's what you're looking for, look elsewhere but it was clean and friendly. We also had a very early flight leaving the country and she arranged transportation to pick us up in plenty of time to get us to the airport. If you choose this place, you'll never see anything else like it.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2008

I stayed here one night while passing through San Jose. I liked the abundance of plants and the shelter from the city.

That said, the space itself where you say is not just dark, but dank. Even if you took away the excessive decorations, you can see the place is just plain dirty. I've stayed in many places in San Jose for less money, which are much cleaner and with better food and service (Hotel Aranjuez is just a few blocks away.)

I had a large piece of luggage (for some equipment I was using). The staircase up to the rooms is so heavily filled with vines and ornamentation, that she told me that I couldn't bring my bag with expensive equipment up to my room. So I kept it in her office/living quarters downstairs, without access to it in the evening.

Breakfast was in a paper bag, a sandwich with a cold cut and mayo (and I'm vegetarian), and the coffee was horrible.

Here's the worst part. Despite this experience, I wanted to give Mayra the benefit of the doubt because she's so nice. So, I decided to stay there one more time on my next visit. She said she'd arrange for a car to pick me up at the airport. There was a guy with a sign with my name on it, but he didn't have a car waiting. Her driver walked me to a curb, and asked me to wait. I asked him for how long, where's his car? and he just mumbled that I should be patient. I gave up after 15 minutes and took a cab to the hotel. And NOBODY WAS THERE. She knew I was arriving, as we emailed about it the day before. So, at 10:30 pm on a saturday night I'm sitting outside her hotel, ringing the bell with nobody coming out, even though I actually had already paid her for the room.

In the end, I stayed at a much nicer place just nextdoor, for only a few bucks more (Rincon de San Jose).

Yes, its kitschy, but it's also a bit gross inside. There are so many great independent little hotels in this part of town, you might not want to choose this one because there's a chance that it won't be open when you arrive on the doorstep.

• Liked — kitsch
  • Disliked — The hotel was closed when I arrived even though I had a confirmed reservation
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends