Pension de la Cuesta B&B
US$176
US$106
US$127
US$87
Barcelo San Jose(San Jose)
  • Breakfast included
US$99
Priceline
All reviewspollocerealhosteltvtaxis
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Pension de la cuesta is at a very nice location in san jose. it is quiet (except from in the early morning where big trucks drive pass the hostel!?! but this seems to be unavoidable throughout Costa Rica) and safe, and there is a short walk to the main street where all the shops are. the breakfast is not impressive, but it's there and you can eat it. what impressed me mostly about this hostel, is this: I accidentally forgot my trekking boots under the bed, when leaving for Tortuguero n.p. Luckily, we had booked one night at Pension de la cuesta for when we got back from Tortuguero. So i asked if they had found my shoes or if anybody had been staying in the room any of the too nights since we left. nobody had been staying in the room... so the host called the cleaning lady and she had found my boots! and she gave 'em back to me and I am sooo grateful!!

Room Tip: pick a room that doesn't face the street. it gets really noisy 5:00 AM when big trucks for some reason are cruising up and down the little street.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Simone M
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Cheap, central place that has its flaws... Old beds, old pillow, old musty couches, old sheets... I got a strong allergic reaction for the whole stay. We got the appartment and it was worst than the simple rooms. The kitchen in the appartment has nothing to cook with, no fridge, no soap, no cloths...

Yes, Alvaro is very friendly, but it's not enough for me.This place is very cheap and the staff are super-friendly. The place really needs TLC... not for the faint of heart...

Room Tip: Do not get a room with a window on the street, but make sure you get a room with a window that gives outside, not just in the building because there is no air circulation if you don't get a window that gives outside (but not in the street).
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I recently stayed here for a while, and the place is a great value. It is easily within walking distance to the nice pedestrian shopping sections by the theatre, as well as several different bus lines, a few nice parks, and around the corner from Don Wong's, the best chinese food I've had in Central America (although the food is a bit expensive). The staff are really nice, friendly and helpful, with maybe one exception, but you can't be perfect right? The rooms aren't high class, but they are comfortable and clean, and the common areas and kitchen are kept clean as well. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for cheap, centrally-located accommodations.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank edavlin
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I have been coming here for years. It has been just what I needed, right on Ave #1. In 2011 they did an upgrade and this last trip I booked the apartment.

Room Tip: Rooms on the street side have loud traffic; Ask to be moved when possible.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2012

A bit shabby around the edges and the building seems to shake when traffic goes by, but it's clean enough with plenty of space. It's nice to get those rarities in Central America, breakfast and internet service.

Room Tip: Room 15 benefits from being away from the worst of the traffic but the window doesn't seem to close, so beware in the rainy season!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo