“Nice and safe hotel, close to downtown”

Pension de la Cuesta B&B
Ranked #33 of 66 San Jose B&B and Inns
Vancouver, BC
“Nice and safe hotel, close to downtown”
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I would absolutely recommend this hotel for short term stays. It is run by very friendly people, there is WiFi, hot water, nceiling fans, no TV though. It's just a few blocks away from downtown, very close to the Costa Rican legislative building. Very good prices, considering the amenities.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Great help from the owner. I am planning to come to San Jose next year 2013, even I don't know him, he replied my email with great and helpful information. Very generous and helpful. Thank you very much.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Pension de la cuesta is at a very nice location in san jose. Excellent stay. We stayed just one night in la pension de la cuesta. We have the appartement for the family. Very clean, staff helpful and very good price !!!! I will definitively come back again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Excellent stay. Thank you.

Very helpful, nice, and very pleasant! Everyone. I had a 5 am airport pick up that I messed up and put my alarm by my "american time zone" and ended up being at the front desk at 4am!! The kid that was I assume on duty heard me I guess, and he came out, and asked me if I wanted coffee, and if I had questions, and I also overheard his calling to make sure the taxi was on schedule.. all at this hour. Poor guy. He must have thought I was nuts :). He was absolutely nice doing all this also. And before he went back he showed me his door in case I needed him for anything while waiting for my cab! Just a darling!

They provide a washroom and roof over your head for an AMAZING price. I can't ask for much more. This will be my hub for going anywhere in CR. Because they also, apparently I found this out too late, have shuttle services (maybe thru other companies) that go to the beach destinations for VERY VERY CHEAP! The place I was going was not on the list of this shuttle routes. But next time, I will DEF, use them and also their shuttle service to go to my beach destination!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Rozelle, Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Centrally located although noisy in the morning. Helpful host. Pretty plain rooms. Overall okay.

• Stayed June 2012
Ganløse, Frederiksborg, Denmark
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Pension de la cuesta is at a very nice location in san jose. it is quiet (except from in the early morning where big trucks drive pass the hostel!?! but this seems to be unavoidable throughout Costa Rica) and safe, and there is a short walk to the main street where all the shops are. the breakfast is not impressive, but it's there and you can eat it. what impressed me mostly about this hostel, is this: I accidentally forgot my trekking boots under the bed, when leaving for Tortuguero n.p. Luckily, we had booked one night at Pension de la cuesta for when we got back from Tortuguero. So i asked if they had found my shoes or if anybody had been staying in the room any of the too nights since we left. nobody had been staying in the room... so the host called the cleaning lady and she had found my boots! and she gave 'em back to me and I am sooo grateful!!

Room Tip: pick a room that doesn't face the street. it gets really noisy 5:00 AM when big trucks for some...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Simone M
Orford, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Cheap, central place that has its flaws... Old beds, old pillow, old musty couches, old sheets... I got a strong allergic reaction for the whole stay. We got the appartment and it was worst than the simple rooms. The kitchen in the appartment has nothing to cook with, no fridge, no soap, no cloths...

Yes, Alvaro is very friendly, but it's not enough for me.This place is very cheap and the staff are super-friendly. The place really needs TLC... not for the faint of heart...

Room Tip: Do not get a room with a window on the street, but make sure you get a room with a window that gives...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

#3 of 109 in San Jose Metro
Hotel la Posada del Sol
Hotel la Posada del Sol
#16 of 66 in San Jose

Been to Pension de la Cuesta B&B? Share your experiences!