“Great food and atmosphere!”

La Estancia Argentina
Ranked #308 of 730 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Argentinian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 June 2013

My husband and I were looking for "non-typical tico food". We had spent an hour or so walking thru the main down town area stopping at places to check out their menus. Nothing looked really compelling, especially for the price. Earlier in the day we had passed an Argentinian restaurant in an inconspicuous location. We didn't know if the neighborhood would be safe to walk at night, but the restaurant was very close to our hotel (Fleur de Lys). We checked La Estancia Argentina out again, now that it was open in the evening (a thursday night) and decided it was a "yes". We were delighted with our choice and highly recommend it! I had fresh spinach and gorgonzola ravioli and my husband had steaks that were very tender. Their house wine was a fine Malbec in a bottle.

Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

My first impression was not to honing as there was no one there on a Sunday at 1:30 pm however my family and I ventured inside we ordered an apetizier of Argentinian turnovers they were ok but mine was undercooked and cold inside. Then came the entrees a ribeye and the mixed parillada the portions are generous but the meat was very tough and for me over salted. The potato sides were also undercooked almost raw. In general I do not recommend this restaurant which I believe to be overpriced. If you are looking for a good steak stay clear of la estancia and go to el Novillo Alegre instead.

Reviewed 11 March 2013

live entertainment transvestites pissing behind the telephone pole.,hope you get a parking space in front of the place or risk getting mugged.stay away.(my son asked why is the man wearing a dress and squating down behind the light post on the corner) on a sunday night,not a person in the restaraunt.3 choices for drinks,coke,diet coke or club soda.waiter severd us old,used condiments,(with not a person in the restaraunt we atleast expected fresh)we odered 2 appetizers and main courses,after 45 minutes(not a person in the place) we got tired of waiting with nothing to eat and watching trannys, we cancelled the order and ran as fast as we could to our car and drove away fast.dont waste your tme go to another restaraunt,and it was way overpriced.

1  Thank kevin g
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I had the 350g rib eye steak with the greek salad to start with. The steak was cooked as ordered, can't fault it at all. Came with wedges, pineapple slice (steak and pineapple..mmmm.. didn't quite work) and a side salad. Big portions really.

The salad... well.. I had to make a comment that the Feta cheese was indeed not said cheese but some grated american medium soft cheese. They took the feedback onboard, but a reduction in bill price would have been appropriate.

The restaurant itself has real character, a really nice place to enjoy dinner.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

We arrived late and quite hungry at our hotel after a six hour bus ride from Cahuita. Our hotel called ahead for us and La Estancia Argentina was willing to still serve us. When we arrived at the restaurant all the other guests had already left. We thought it was very nice of the restaurant to still serve us.
We both had a steak and some glasses of red wine. Steak was nicely cooked and the wine went quite well with the food. Especially enjoyed the grilled veggies on the side. Our waiter was very polite and welcoming. Interior of the restaurant is pleasantly decorated, not overdone.
Having diner at La Estancia Argentina was a nice end of a quite hectic evening.