“It's good overall..ironically the steak was the worse part”

La Estancia Argentina
Ranked #495 of 712 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Argentinian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We visited La Estancia Argentina recently and it was overall a pleasant experience. I will start first with the highlights:

1. We ordered some empanadas and a choripan as entrees, and both were really tasty, specially the Choripan, which was matched with some chimichurri and tomato.
2. The main courses were bife de chorizo and a grilled salmon. I have to say the salmon was great, tender, juicy and well seasoned. It had a green saladas and grilled potato for sides, and they were both very good.
3. The dessert was also good, it was a tiramisu, which was more of a frozen cream custard along with the coffee-drenched biscuit.
4. The local is nice, cozy and the night we went they had a tango and milonga show which set a nice enviroment to enjoy.

Now the bad:

1. The caprese empanada was kind of dry, not as good as the meat one,
2. Ironically the bife the chorizo was the great deception of the night, considering that this place's speciality is meat. The cut was very simple, with almost no salt or seasoning and kind of burned on the sides It was pretty dry and was not even average,
3. The waiters are nice, but as we were using a discount coupon we kind of get the feeling that we were overlooked sometimes for other customer who came to pay the full bill (no promo price).
4. There is no parking lot on the local, so you will need to leave the car on a parking lot about 2 blocks away, or outside with a "guachiman", which is not the safest option.

I will give 4 starts to this restaurant, as most of the food was pretty good, along with service and ambience. However for good steak cuts, I would recommend other places,

1  Thank Marcelu83

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Good service, I like the provelenta cheese it was delicious!
we ordered bife de chorizo steak and churrasco steak not bad but I thing need a little bit of seasoning.
Other then that ... Was OK .

Reviewed 1 February 2014

We ordered the special which was sirloin steak ala parrillada. It tasted wonderful, but had a lot of tough gristle to cut around.

We have learned that Central American beef is almost always unaged, and most often not from a youthful cow. Other than that, the vegetables, potatoes, and salad were tasty.

We did enjoy the sort of cosmopolitan bistro atmosphere and the house wine was quite good. The waiters' do-rags were charming. Not sure what all the adjusting of lights and sound levels was about.

We ordered one plate to split between us, and were charged for two dinners. Once we pointed this out, the bill was corrected and we were on our way. Coincidence? Error? I don't think so. Be on your guard gringos! It's all part of the game, don't let it ruin your day.

1  Thank Jeff W
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The restaurant offers a wide selection of meat dishes and wines. If you want to treat yourself or your partner, this is the place to go.

Reviewed 22 June 2013

My husband and I were looking for "non-typical tico food". We had spent an hour or so walking thru the main down town area stopping at places to check out their menus. Nothing looked really compelling, especially for the price. Earlier in the day we had passed an Argentinian restaurant in an inconspicuous location. We didn't know if the neighborhood would be safe to walk at night, but the restaurant was very close to our hotel (Fleur de Lys). We checked La Estancia Argentina out again, now that it was open in the evening (a thursday night) and decided it was a "yes". We were delighted with our choice and highly recommend it! I had fresh spinach and gorgonzola ravioli and my husband had steaks that were very tender. Their house wine was a fine Malbec in a bottle.