“Very nice”

Hotel Dunn Inn Restaurant
Ranked #369 of 673 Restaurants in San Jose
Reviewed 20 April 2013

My 8 day stay was nice with a continental breakfast which was free. Eggs etc. would cost .95 each and oatmeal was 2.75 more. The dining ares is small but charming with some very nice servers who all speak English. I will return to this place maybe in early June.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

I live in San Jose and really enjoy eating in the Dunn Inn. They have two restaurants. One is small and intimate. Its cozy and a bit romantic. The other is a large contempory bar/restaurant. Its a sports bar type of place. Just pick the atmosphere you want for the day. The food is very good and priced approprietly. What really makes this place stand out is the staff. They are attentive and have great smiles. You will feel at home instantly. Don't worry about the language barrier. They can all speak English if you choose. This is like a second home. Each Friday night they have entertainment. This is definitely one of the nicer places to have a meal or just a drink.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

This restaurant is sort of a combination. You can have food served in the bar area...I have had breakfast and lunch... or you can be served sort of a step below in a more formal eating area between the bar and the hotel reception area. The bar area is my choice as either solo or with friends as it is very friendly and I enjoy the six or eight big screens showing different sporting events while I have a meal. Prices are reasonable and food is pretty good. Staff is always friendly and they speak enough English for me to be able to get by just fine. I also like that I can drop in with my pocket t-shirt, jeans,hat, and flip flops and feel right at home. I also like that you can enter the bar restaurant right from the side street as opposed to having to come into the entrance of the Hotel. Drinks with breakfast?? Why not. ? No problem here. I have yet to make their happy hour here but often think I would like to. Looks great and they have specials on Monday and Tuesday if memory serves. I eat here at least a few times each trip to San Jose.

Reviewed 3 March 2013

Breakfast in the morning is great. I deviate from the inclusive continental breakfast and have scrambled eggs, because the eggs are so fresh and delicious. The bacon (tocineta) is a bit different than US standards but good. Plus the place is very peaceful and relaxing and the service is so nice, like having a friend wait on you.
The other place, ricks, is great because I like to keep my eye on sports and people watch and eat good, healthy food. So I stick with the ceviche, especially ceviche mixto which is not on the menu. Fun staff too.

Reviewed 5 December 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights and had several meals there in the restaurant which is also attached to Ricks Sports Bar. The restaurant is a little charmer. It's a bit like what you wish your own tropical patio was like! (There's 3 TV's on carrying sports and some local tourist promotional tours but they keep the sound down perfectly plus they had some light jazz playing and some easy reggae in the evenings).

It's cool and shady and intimately casual with the great garden and little waterfall all adding to the ambience. Bring an appetite. Each time we ate, the portions were large and there's quite a variety from local dishes to steaks and pizza and each was great and more than we could eat even tho' we walked in from our activities feeling like we could eat a horse! Often, the chef himself would peek out from the kitchen to see how we were doing and give us a thumbs up or a laugh himself when he saw us just sitting there at the end of the meal grinning unable to eat more.

Our special favorites were the soups. The seafood Caribbean soup (I forget the name) and the Aztec soup are meals in themselves. So beware! They're intensely filling and delicious.

The all-female staff waiting the table and working the bar were all very attentive and friendly.

Prices...for what you got..were very reasonable!

As mentioned this restaurant is attached to Rick's Bar which is also part of the hotel. In contrast to the casual formality of the Dunn Inn Restaurant, Ricks' is a modern sports bar. It can get raucous and noisy and has multi-TV's going and late at night the place was rocking...like a sports bar should be. We never ate or drank in there, but it looked like it would have been fun on another occasion and I would have liked to have stayed for their Comedy Night which was taking place on the weekend.

One caveat...in Costa Rica, make sure you look at your bill! Almost every place automatically charges an extra 10% for "service." This is essentially tips that are split among the waiting, kitchen and bartender staff. We were several days into our vacation when we realized that tips were automatically being added to all the restaurants we were eating at. We usually tip 20% or more, but then we found out we were already getting charged 10% so we adjusted accordingly. Not a big deal. Just some handy advice. It just felt funny and awkward at times leaving only 10% tip on the table when we got up to leave...almost like we were shorting the servers! ((We own a restaurant / bar of our own in Mexico so we know how important tips are to the staff).

Bottom line...we loved the hotel and the restaurant and we'll be back! Thanks for the great stay!