“Fair trade and treasures to capture the spirit of Costa Rica”
Review of Galeria Namu

Galeria Namu
Ranked #20 of 122 things to do in San Jose
More attraction details
Owner description: Galeria Namu is a fair trade art gallery for local and indigenous artists from Costa Rica and surrounding Central America countries. Established in 1998 at this same location, visitors to Costa Rica's capital city of San Jose can find us easily behind the Holiday Inn (across from Parque Morazan).Knowledge and passion for the artists and their work is what makes a visit to Galeria Namu special; the owner, Aisling, and her son Conall, along with their support staff love to share with visitors the background of the tribe or individual artisans and the remarkable collection of unique and very special pieces available for purchase. For the past 15 years, Galeria Namu has nurtured a relationship with the artists who create folk art, gold and jade replicas, handwoven baskets, originals paintings, tagua carvings and jewelry and much more. Visit the website for hours and a sampling of what you will encounter. Be prepared to catch their enthusiasm for fair trade with these local arts and crafts.
Reviewed 6 August 2013

At the end of our month-long travels in Costa Rica we stopped at Galeria Namu looking for something special to take home. After seeing a variety of touristy places, Galeria Namu was refreshing in the selection of genuine arts and crafts, reasonable prices, and very attentive owner who showed tremendous patience as our family of four came to consensus on two beautifully carved and painted masks to purchase. The people who run this Gallery obviously have a genuine passion for their work, and it shows in how engaging and informative they are. Had we been able to fit more into our luggage, we would have purchased more items given the quality and beauty. If you are looking for a special item to take home or a gift that has some soul, this is an ideal place to go in San Jose. We highly recommend it and hopefully will stop again one day when we return to Costa Rica.

celticachica, Owner at Galeria Namu, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

We appreciate your kind words and also the fact that you noted so accurately that Namu is not a touristy souvenir shop but a gallery where the art of the tribes and countryside is offered with great care and pride and. Thank you!

Reviewed 25 July 2013

First and foremost, fair trade...the artists and artisans are not exploited. In fact, the owner of the gallery will share their personal histories and photographs with you, and even arrange visits to the indigenous communities with sufficient advance notice. Most of the pieces are exquisite, and after two hours in the shop I realized I had to come back with a game plan...what I want to collect, and how I want to display it in our home. Galeria Namu is NOT TO BE MISSED on a trip to Costa Rica (I'm fortunate enough to live here!). For a truly unique cultural day, plan to spend an hour or two in the gallery, have lunch at La Esquina de Buenos Aires (an Argentinian restaurant) within walking distance on the corner of Calle 11 and Avenida 4, and then visit the Pre-Columbian gold museum (also within walking distance) on Calle 5 between Central and Avenida 2.

Thank you for your lovely review of Galería Namu, and for your great suggestion of incorporating a museum visit is a perfect compliment to the gallery's collection

Reviewed 28 June 2013

I was with my family and was only able to visit this place once. I had visited the website many times before the trip so I basically knew what I wanted. Conall was extremely helpful and worked to educate me about the people who made the articles. You CAN find cheaper masks and jicara canteens but you get what you pay for. Everything here is top notch and better quality than you will find elsewhere.
I had part of my purchases shipped and the package arrived yesterday. Roberto packed it better than I have ever received anything -- only problem was, I wish I'd bought more! He also packed my raincoat in with my purchases -- I'd been too excited about visiting the gallery that I wound up leaving my raincoat there! I am pretty sure I will be ordering from the website....

RebeCR_12, Social Marketing Manager at Galeria Namu, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Many thanks! Your review expresses what we strive to achieve for Namu: the very highest quality, striving to be as knowledgeable and informative as possible making our emphasis not on sales, but on raising awareness of the wonderful art from this region. Glad we could send your raincoat.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

After visiting and falling madly in love with Costa Rica, I returned home to the States without an appropriate souvenir to remember this very special trip. Having friends in the north, I saw so much of this beautiful country, but never made it to San Jose and thus never visited Galeria Namu. I began my search online for my special reminder of my trip. That was when I found Galeria Namu. Being an artist and managing a fine art gallery here at home made me very particular about what I chose, and I could see that this gallery had exquisite examples of indigenous art. I became mesmerized by the exceptional mask collection offered by Namu. I have purchased three thus far. They add the warmth and charm of Costa Rica to my own art collection, and make me smile each time I look at them and long for my next return to Pura Vida. I am looking forward to purchasing one more mask soon and to my next trip to CR when I will definitely visit Galeria Namu in person. The wonderful background knowledge and customer service offered by their terrific staff , along with the very safe packaging and shipping, made my online experience very enjoyable, but I look forward to shopping the gallery and meeting everyone there in person.

1  Thank Ginny N
RebeCR_12, Social Marketing Manager at Galeria Namu, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2013

It is simply the highest compliment to have been part of your quest for the quintessential art of this country, and that you found it at Galeria Namu is enormously appreciated. Thank you!

Reviewed 5 May 2013

We had so much fun at Galeria Namu that we went back a few days later. It is an entertaining and educational experience. The quality and variety of the hand-crafted items is the best in Costa Rica. The enthusiastic and knowledgeable staff were very helpful in our selection, and we greatly appreciate their dedication to representing the artisits. Don’t miss Galeria Namu when you are in San Jose.

Happy that both education and entertaining are spoken about in the same breath. Thanks for your kind words and may your encouragement not to miss Galeria Namu be heard!