“Nice Hotel”

San Jose Cocoon Hotel
Ranked #53 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 5 December 2012

A fair place for the Price. Pros; Hot water, clean room, small coset with hangers, and a friendly staff. What I missed secure lock on the door. In room safe and curtians for top windows were missing.The bed was very firm and small. Breakfast is not served on Sunday which was the only morning I was there they did have coffee. Somewhat hard to find and the phone number had changed. I had made reservations on Expedia which they had no record of so I had to email the conformation to them before I could check in once they had that everything was cool lucky for me they had one room left. The hotel is located 7 blocks from central ave. I have stayed in 4 hotels other that Cocoon in San Jose and I would say it ranks in the middle for price and quality.

Room Tip: This hotel is not in the safest area in San Jose keep your eyes open if walking about. 7 blocks from...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank beestinger777

Reviewed 3 December 2012

We stayed at Cocoon for one night after flying into San Jose. To be fair we didn't look around the neighbourhood at all - it seemed a little rough around the edges but walking into the hotel was like entering another (green!) world. It is clean and trendy and very green! The beds were comfortable and the curtains kept the light out well. The shower was good and the shampoo and soap were really nice quality. Wifi super fast compared to most other places we have been in Central America. We rushed off to catch an early-morning bus to Monteverde, and the hotel is conveniently located only 2 mins (by taxi - i.e. only a few US dollars) from the relevant bus station, and we were offered orange juice or coffee before we left, even though it was before the normal breakfast time. A good, comfortable option!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 November 2012

This was our first trip to San Jose, so I was looking for a nice hotel that my husband and I could enjoy. We live full-time on a boat, so comfort and price were important to us. I did quite a bit of comparison shopping before picking this hotel. You never really know what the place will be like until you get there; are the pictures accurate, will the staff be nice, are the reviews genuine. What a surprise and relief! The hotel was fantastic! The lobby is the first impression and what an excellent one. Whoever furnished this hotel has a great eye for style and funkiness. The staff were all friendly and helpful. I have to give a big thank-you to Christian who was on the reception when we arrived. He booked us in, gave us helpful information about restaurants within walking distance and even help us find the right bus to get back to Panama. He is an asset to the company. The room was clean, quiet and comfortable, everything worked correctly. Our trip to Costa Rica was memorable and I highly recommend the Cocoon Hotel. Thank-you.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shelley T
Reviewed 3 November 2012

my boyfriend and i stayed at this hotel for our last night in costa rica. it was one of the better hotels, for a very reasonable price, judging from what we saw while driving through the city. the staff was very helpful, the hotel is very clean and chic. the room was clean, linens were clean, and the bathroom was a decent size. very comfortable accomodations overall for our short stay. its close to the main shopping and dinig streets in san jose so the location is good if you want to experience the nightlife of the city.

the only negative thing i can say about this hotel is that there is not eough car parks. the hotel has two parking spots from an adjacent public car park, but if those are full (which they were when we got there) you have to pay to keep your car there.

but overall, it was a very comfortable, clean hotel for our short stay in san jose.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anniesa G
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I was staying in this hotel for 4 days, compared the service i got, i couldn't believe the price at the end of my stay!!!
I really recommend this city hotel to you, because the team was very friendly, they helped me a lot with the informations about where to go and what to do. The room has a very nice decoration, we felt very comfortable.

Room Tip: Rooms in the first floor have air conditioning.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank chenPanama
Ximena G, Gerente at San Jose Cocoon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Dear. ChenPanama

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a nice review. We are so glad that you had a great time with us and that our staff was able to help you with different things. Next time you visit Costa Rica, please come to visit us, it would be our placer to see you again.

Warm regards.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

Summary: Great location, friendly staff and a very pleasant and comfortable stay.

A bit of Detail: My girlfriend and I stayed 2 days at the Cocoon when we arrived to San Jose, then travelled to the Pacific coast. At the end of our vacation we were back at San Jose and we decided to stay there again for another 2 nights.

The place is really clean and the lounge area is very welcoming. Chill music and the modern open space made for a nice atmosphere. Wifi worked great in the lounge and our room and was included in the price.

At one point we needed a taxi to go just out of town to a mountain-side restaurant. After helping us make the reservation (we don't speak Spanish), the guy working there walked a few blocks with me to a taxi station and negotiated on my behalf for the best price.

Based on service, location and comfort, this is the best price-to-value that you can get.

Room Tip: We stayed at 2 different ones, both were good.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AlexShaikevich
Ximena G, Gerente at San Jose Cocoon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Dear Mr. AlexShaikevich.
Thank you for staying with us while in San José. I am glad you enjoy your stay with us and that our staff was helpful.
We appreciate you liked are new hotel style with chill music and modern atmosphere. I already pass your comments to our staff and they are really happy about it. It woulb be my pleasure to meet you in person next time you come visit us in San Jose.
Warm Regards.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

I had a stay in this hotel for 2 nights and i have to tell you all, that i was positively surprised how stylish and comfortable this place is, and the price was just 50$ per night! AMAZING! The hotel is just 100 meters away from the big bus station and very close to the old traditional town center. We enjoyed very much the big lounge area with a lot of plants and flowers everywhere. The bamboo style gives you a feeling of escaping from the city and back to the nature! The rooms are very nice designed and very clean. There was also a very big flat screen in our room and the staff was realy very very friendly. Also the general manager called Ximena helped us with very good tips how to explore the surrounding are. Big thank you to the Cocoon team! We will come back for sure!!!! pura vida

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank arobitza

Dear Arobitza
We really appreciate your comments on this review. It was my pleasure to help you and give some choices for you to visit San Jose.
I am glad you liked our brand new design of bamboo, plants and calm atmosphere. Please let me now when you are coming back to san jose or feel free to write me at xsaenz@cocoonhotel.cr in order to help you with your reservation.

Regards.