“Good Stay!”

Ranked #15 of 76 Hotels in San Jose
Oxford, NJ, USA
“Good Stay!”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Took a trip back in September and stayed several days. Had a wonderful stay at this hotel. The hotel is located in a nice quiet neighborhood. Front desk, bartenders, waiters and other staff were all friendly and helpful. Rooms are good sized and clean, offering all of the essentials. The hotel entrance opens up to a nice big lobby with a bar, and an adjacent sizable bar/restaurant with a beautiful outdoor patio that wraps around the corner of the hotel. I never felt cramped in this hotel. Services, food and bar were reasonably priced. I would certainly stay at this hotel my next visit to San Jose.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Guy G, Guest Relations Manager at Taormina Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
We're very happy here at the Hotel Mona Lisa to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you very much for the kind review you wrote. I will pass it on to the staff who I'm sure will be encouraged by it.
Hope to see you again soon. Director of Guest Services - Guy Grand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The staff at the Mona Lisa made my first visit to Costa Rica an absolute pleasure. Guy and Helmut are laser focused on the customer, providing each guest with courteous and timely responses to every request. In fact, the entire staff was a pleasure to interface with and aimed to please each guest.

Helmut made travel easy by arranging a taxi driver to pick me up at the airport, followed by daily excursions to the rainforest, zip lining and a rental car to visit Jaco Beach.

Guy made the neighborhood familiar by arranging a personal walking tour of the local restaurants and bars.

I highly recommend a professional massage with Yorleny. She is a true professional with classic training in several types of therapeutic massage. Without question, the best one hour massage value I will probably ever experience and it was only $40 plus tip. (Compare to $160 at a resort/spa).

The Hotel Mona Lisa is the perfect hotel for the solo traveler on vacation or business. The location is a convenient pivoting point to experience the city and surrounding area.

Thank you for exceeding my expectations and I hope to see you in May/June when I return.

Patrick
Washington, DC

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Patrick M
I am very pleased to note that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I will be happy to share your feedback with our staff as I know they will be very happy and encouraged by your comments. I will also be delighted to tell Yorleny, our wonderful professional massage therapist how much you enjoyed the massage she gave you. She puts her heart and soul into every massage and customer satisfaction is very important to her. She loves her work.
It gives us great joy to read a positive review like yours. It's greatly appreciated. Hope to see you again in the near future. Director of Guest Services - Guy Grand
Albany, California
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I recently stayed at the Mona Lisa for the first time, in my first visit to San Jose since it opened. I tried this hotel for a number of reasons, not the least of which was my prior dealings with guest manager Guy Grand at his previous position. After my stays - I was in and out of the hotel and San Jose several times on my trip - the list of positives is long: the location, the room rate, the quality of the rooms, the secure onsite parking, the friendliness of all the staff, the pleasant nature of the bar, the large, open layout of the cafe on the street corner in the lobby is very nice and their coffee excellent and available at all times, consistent hot water in the shower (not always a given down there), and of course the superb onsite massage by Yorleny (another reason I switched to Mona Lisa!).

There are apparently a few bugs in the operation that are still being worked out, probably the most irritating ones to me being the problematic wifi connection in my rooms (in the lobby/bar/cafe it was fine) and the inability to place local phone calls from anywhere but the front desk (this was a temporary problem, and I know they're working on the internet thing). And the elevators are a little funky (if you are in the lobby going up and the indicator says an elevator is there but no door is open, hit the down button), the safes that can fairly easily be carried out of the rooms seem a bit silly, etc. But these weren't major issues to me, given the positives, and I am confident that they'll continue to work out the bugs. I wish them all success, and will definitely stay there next time I'm in town.

Room Tip: My rooms were on the north (back) side of the hotel and overlooked a building that was being torn do...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MarkEN56
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 26 October 2013

i took a trip back in September for one week, all the workers there were very friendly and the bar opened almost all night long, short distance to all the attractions, and remember, there is no extra charge to bring a guest back to your own room, talk to GUY OR HELMUT, they will solve whatever the problem that you have, the bartenders are very friendly to talk to, but do not forget to bring them some American chocolate, they love it, me and my friends are coming back in December and staying at Mona Lisa and we know it it going to be another great trip, thanks ALVIN N.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ALVIN5997
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 13 October 2013

This is for the Hotel Mona Lisa in San Jose Costa Rica. Of all the years reading Tipadvisor I finally felt the need to write a review. I come to Costa Rica about once a month., and have stayed at most hotels in downtown San Jose. This Hotel is not only the best value but the friendliest I've ever stayed at. The staff are just so nice I didn't think it fair not to praise their hospitality.
A gentleman named Guy seemed to be around all the time, I'm not sure of his position, he just seems to always be there asking " how is everything ? ", " do you need anything ", sorta like the head waiter at a nice restaurant who's always there when you need him. A man named Helmut is the manager and is always there. I mean ALWAYS there... I don't think he sleeps.there is a girl named Helen at the front desk, who couldn't be nicer and a younger kid named Andrew at the front door who was born with a smile on his face, he couldn't wipe it off if he wanted to.
And everyone speaks fluent English which is great because my Spanish is embarrassingly challenged. This place gets 11 stars out of 10.....is that possible ?

Room Tip: Prefer top floor in back, but stayed in front and we're good too
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Of all the years reading tripadvisor I finally felt the need to right a review, I've never written one.
I come to Costa Rica about once a month on business and have stayed at most of the hotels
In downtown San Jose. This hotel is not only the best value but the friendlyest hotel I think ive ever stayed at anywhere. I almost didn't write this review because I really don't want everyone to find out about this place, but the staff are just so nice I didn't think it fair not to praise their hospitality.
A gentleman named "Guy" seems to be around all the time, I'm not sure of his position, he just always there asking " how is everything " " do you need anything" , " , sorta like the head waiter at a nice restaurant who's always there when you need him. A man named Helmut is the manager and is always there...I mean AWAYS there ..I don't think he sleeps !!!. There's a girl named "Helen " at the front desk who couldn't be nicer and A younger kid named Andrew at the front door who was born with a smile on his face..he couldn't wipe it off if he wanted to.
And everyone speaks fluent English...which is great because my Spanish is embarrassing challenged. This place gets 11 stars out of 10....is that possible ?

Room Tip: Prefer top floor in back, but stayed in front and were good too
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Guy G, Guest Relations Manager at Taormina Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, 16 December 2014
Eric, Thank you so much for the very kind review you wrote. We are always happy to have you visit us and you are just like family here at the Hotel Mona Lisa. Hope to see you again soon amigo. Pura Vida
From the staff at the hotel. Guy
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I stayed at the Mona Lisa for one week. Conveniently located to all the major activities in downtown San Jose.

The staff is friendly and courteous and the rooms are big and nicely appointed. Guy Grand is one of the best customer service managers I have met.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends