Taormina Hotel and Casino
US$181
US$176
US$127
US$102
Barcelo San Jose(San Jose)
US$103
Official Hotel
US$70
US$62
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmona lisaclarion hotelfourth floorcosta ricanice casinoflat screensleep innpleasure of stayingspent nightssized bedrice beansa great place to stayenjoyed my stayrooms are spaciousthe hotel offersdel reyclose to downtown
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I had stayed at this hotel when it was a Clarion property. I stumbled upon this place because my I arrived a day early. I had planned on moving to the Holiday Inn Aurola later that week. I cancelled my two nights there because I enjoyed the stay and the staff, as well as the price.

It is an older hotel but my room was clean and I had no problem with the internet or water pressure as some 1 contribution writers posted.

The best part of the stay, including the food which was awesome, was the staff. They went above and beyond the call of duty at every turn and made you feel welcome. I can say I made a few new friends during this process. Go for the Tommy salad and the chicken and rice while you are there. Great food, good casino and poker room and a good value.

I'll com eback here.

Room Tip: Ask for the Third or Fourth floor. They have upgraded TVs and less casino noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Guy G, Guest Relations Manager at Taormina Hotel and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Glad you decided to spend the rest of your trip in Costa Rica with us. We greatly appreciate your patronage and look forward to your next stay with us. Thanks again for the kind words.
Director or Guest Services - Guy Grand

Reviewed 23 January 2014

this hotel should be condemned. The place is dirty and the water pressure is bad, internet doesn't work, and the service is sub standard..Do yourself a favor and take a pass on this place. I would never stay in this hotel again if they paid me. I don't know why the costa rica government ever allowed them to open this place in the condition it is in. Also, for you gamblers, beware of the casino and the poker game.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank lewis d
Guy G, Guest Relations Manager at Taormina Hotel and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

So sorry to hear your stay wasn't up to your standards. We try everything we can to make our guest comfortable and happy. We have over 85 percent satisfaction from our guests. We are reviewing each one of your complaints and doing what we can to solve the problems you mentioned.
Thanks for your feedback. Director of Guest Services - Guy Grand

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Whatever you do, do not stay at this clip joint. Myself and two friends stayed there back in September. We were to stay for 3 nights, however we had to check out after the first night because the internet did not work at all. Upon leaving the manager was very understanding and promised to credit the unused nights back to my credit card. I was staying in San Jose for a few weeks and went back on 4 different occasions for the refund, kept getting the run around, they blamed it on the bank and gave me a big line of BS. Finally after about an hour of arguing with the deadbeat manger the owner came out. More run around, he assured me that I would be refunded by the first of the year, I knew it would not happen, and of course it has not. I heard the Costa Rican Govt. shut them down for unpaid taxes a few weeks ago, not sure if still closed or not. Do yourself a favor and do a little research before considering this place, there are many better options and with better locations.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank William H

Sorry to hear you were unhappy with your stay at our hotel. we do our best to see that our clients are comfortable and happy. We are addressing your comments and doing our best to solve them. Hope you can give us another try in the future.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

I actually stumbled on this hotel after I was dissatisfied with another I was staying. I really loved the restaurant and bar the hotel had on site and nothing was overpriced. The rooms were great sized, the bathrooms were like new, I had a shower (with hot water), and the location was good also (5 blocks from centro San Jose). My only issue with the hotel was they didn't have internet in my room because they were having technically difficulties I believe; however I was able to use the lounge and restaurant area to pick of a signal. They also have a small casino on site for the gamblers and live music on Fridays. I highly recommend this hotel to those visiting San Jose for a weekend or preparing to head to coast. Great hospitality!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks you so much for the kind review and hope we see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

We stayed for several nights until the establishment was closed for 5 days due to tax issues. While the rooms were a little outdated the comfortable bed, polite staff, casino and food smoothed over the rough edges.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Evolvingmonkey

Thank you so much for staying at the Hotel Mona Lisa and your feedback. We bought a 20 year old hotel that was closed for a number of years. We do realize that the rooms need some remodeling and we are starting next month closing a few at a time and re doing the rooms. We re did the lobby, casino and restaurant already and the rooms are next.
Glad to hear everything else was to your liking. Look forward to Serving you again in the future.