Taormina Hotel and Casino
US$118
US$97
US$82
Bookit.com
Barcelo San Jose(San Jose)
US$155
US$65
  • Breakfast included
US$215
Travelocity
All reviewsmona lisaclarion hotelfourth floorcosta ricanice casinoflat screensleep innpleasure of stayingspent nightssized bedrice beansa great place to stayenjoyed my stayrooms are spaciousthe hotel offersdel reyclose to downtown
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The Hotel Mona Lisa & Casino treated me like a king wether I gambled or not. I will stay there again on my next visit to San Jose and would recommend to anyone looking to be treated like a king or queen..

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Guy G, Guest Relations Manager at Taormina Hotel and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We enjoy when we can to sit down and have a drink with our guests. It's a pleasure. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

the price of this hotel is very reasonable at the given special rate of <us$56 per night. Guy and George are the managers and are very peronsonable. They will sit and have a drink with you. They are very reasonable if you are low on cash. <i always use this hotel in san jose..

Room Tip: always ask for any specials.
2  Thank daniel a
Guy G, Guest Relations Manager at Taormina Hotel and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Thank you so much for your kind review of our hotel. We're always happy to get feedback from our clients about our Service. Thanks for using us and hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I didn't actually stay in the hotel, but found the place when my GF felt like getting a massage. We got on-line and of course most of what we saw were massage parlors that catered to single men (if you don't know what that means, San Jose is probably not the town for you). We were lucky to stumble across a review of Yorleny's services.

We called the hotel and got thru to the manager, Guy, who booked an hour a 2-hour massage the same afternoon, which I believe was $60USD. We arrived about 10min early and were greeted by Guy, who was very personable and friendly while we waited for Yorleny to prepare. We finally met Yorleny in her massage room, where she displays her multiple accreditations, and were at first surprised by her small size and youthful appearance. Don't be fooled though - She's got a vice-like grip and knows how to use it!

While my GF was getting her massage, I hung out at the bar/casino area and enjoyed some reasonably priced beer and appetizers which were surprisingly good. The casino area was friendly and inviting, with just the right lighting and not too noisy or distracting.

My GF commented that the massage from Yorleny was really good, easily up there with the $120-$200 massages she often goes for at fancier hotel spas. A really sweet deal from a really sweet masseuse! Definitely worth trying out. The only complaint was that a phone call wasn't answered by the hotel lobby and ended up ringing in the massage room. Without that distraction things would have been perfect.

Just to emphasize, massages with Yorleny are strictly professional.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Udo D
Guy G, Guest Relations Manager at Taormina Hotel and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you so much for your generous review about Yorleny. I happen to agree with you that she is the best professional masseuse in San Jose. I worked with her at the Dunn Inn Hotel for 3 years and now almost 2 years at the Hotel Mona Lisa. In Costa Rica like many other countries you don't actually need a degree or even any training to say your a massage therapist. Make some business cards and hang a shingle on a building and there you go.but not her. Yorleny, a single mom, put herself through Massage School for three years while holding down a night job at a factory and raising three kids on her own. She finished school top of her class with her degree in Deep Tissue Massage and since has gone back for continued education and has earned three more degrees in different types of massage. She now incorporated all the different things she learned with her four degrees together to form her own unique style of massage. Yorleny's loves her job, always has a warm smile on her face and leaves you feeling like you just had the best massage of your life. She will be grateful for your kind words and kind review. Director Guest Services - Guy Grand .

Reviewed 5 July 2014

<enjoyed being here to watch the costa rica soccer game. very exciting. the staff was very friendly and excellent service. nice large rooms and very clean. nice big casino and poker room. had a professional relaxing massage from yorleny the in house massuese. <well worth the 40 dollars.. i will return and highly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: 4third floor in back very quiet and nice view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Guy G, Public Relations Manager at Taormina Hotel and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Daniel, Thank you for your very kind review of the Mona Lisa. Happy to hear you enjoyed the football game at our sports bar. It was an exciting game. Glad to hear you enjoyed your professional massage with Yorleny, she is the fantastic. I try myself to get a massage from her at least once a month if time permits. Thanks again for staying with us and look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Awhile back, the Mona Lisa was a Clarion property. Not a bad one, but nothing special. I "almost" stayed there several years ago when I was in SJ. I have stayed a 5 other places in my travels to SJ and, so far, this stay (at least insofar as the hotel is concerned) is the best! Unlike most of the places in this area, this hotel has all the modern comforts you'd expect in the States.

Guest relations Mgr. Guy, along with several other staff members, really give you the personal touch. It is a rather refreshing change not to be an anonymous guest and actually be treated like a VIP. Almost every time I go up to my nice large standard room on the 4th floor (with blackout curtains) and pass the front desk, I am greeted, asked how things are going and if there is anything that the staff can do for me. Impressive.

With a casino, very friendly poker room, great restaurant and wonderful ambiance...well, its a pretty darn good deal. My room is clean, well kept up, and (mind you, this was still a Clarion...not a 5 star hotel) very quiet, too!

I heartily recommend this hotel if you want a comfortable, clean and economical place to stay while visiting San Jose. There are also several great restaurants in the area that are rated in the top ten on TripAdvisor, as well.

Enjoy your stay in San Jose!

Room Tip: All good rooms, from what I can see...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank viper0001
Guy G, Public Relations Manager at Taormina Hotel and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you so much for the very Positive review in Tripadvisor. Sounds to me like you had a great time and my staff was doing their job. We try our best to be friendly and make you feel at home away from home. I will let my staff know what a good job they are doing and thank you so much for your feedback. We here at the Hotel Mona Lisa look forward to Serving you again on your next visit to San Jose.
Pura Vida, Guy Manager Public relations and marketing