“An amazing family adventure”

Costa Rica Expeditions
3-Day Tour to Monteverde Cloud Forest
Ranked #1 of 96 Tours in San Jose
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Costa Rica Expeditions, unique travel experiences since 1978.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We just returned from Costa Rica for a family trip. We are a family of four, with two 9-year-old children. I normally enjoy doing the trip planning for our vacations, but was uncertain of the best locations and activities for us as a family. We couldn't be happier that we used Costa Rica Expeditions to help us plan our trip. From the travel planning process, to the airport transfers, to the drivers to the guides, everything was just seamless. We could always rely on being picked up when they said we would be picked up. The nature guides and drivers were incredibly friendly and knowledgeable, and really made the trip something special. It really was a perfect mix of adventure and relaxation, we ate great food, saw incredible nature and wildlife, and just had a spectacular introduction to this wonderful country. We are already talking about which part of Costa Rica we would like to visit next! When we do return, we would definitely plan to use Costa Rica Expeditions again.

Natalia J, Guest Satisfaction at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Annemariejac,

I really enjoyed reading the review you posted about your trip to Costa Rica and what a great job we did. I am glad that you particularly noticed what a great job the drivers and guides do.
We have come to see that travelers who have decided to go it alone often end up wishing they had a guide to have told them what they were seeing and even spotted things that a layman’s eyes might miss. These guides work out there “in the field” all day. It’s their office. Trust me, that comes in handy when you are in the middle of a reserve with so much going at the same time. Some guidance goes a long way.

I am pleased that we were able to offer you the perfect balance of adventure and relaxation to make this a memorable vacation. I read the review you posted on our Tortuga Lodge & Gardens Trip Advisor page. I really enjoyed reading what a great time you had at our lodge.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I had high expectations for my custom-designed trip, and I'm delighted to report that they were exceeded in every respect! Nadya Shaw patiently listened to all of my special requests for a custom photography tour and put together an itinerary that both met all my needs and came within my budget. On the tour, Eduardo simply did a fantastic job, not just responding when I needed something, but actually anticipating in advance when I was GOING to need something.

Both Eduardo, and Max, my driver were a delight to travel with. Besides being extremely knowledgeable about the local wildlife and photo ops, they were fun to be with and were great companions along the way. Eduardo was simply amazing in terms of being able to find great wildlife for me to photograph, and I was continually impressed by his ability to identify every bird by both sight and sound.

I hope to return to Costa Rica for another photography tour, and if I do, I'm definitely going to line up Eduardo as my guide to ensure that my next trip will be as productive as my last one.

I posted some of my favorite photos from the trip on my website at http://boywithcamera.com/cre

1  Thank Charles M

Dear Chuck M,

It was great that we were able to set up an itinerary that suited what you were looking for and even better to have gotten great pictures out of it. I went into the link you posted and saw them. They are beautiful. I love the one where you see two Scarlett Macaws perched on a tree. It’s a great picture. And you did such a great job with the hummingbirds! Those are hard to picture since they don’t stop moving.

I have let Nadya, Max and Eduardo know what a great job they did and how pleased you were with how your vacation turned out. Did Eduardo tell you his story about how he decided to become a guide? As a child, Eduardo went on a field trip with his second grade class to the National Museum in San Jose. He remembers a young man giving a talk to a large group of travelers in English. He said that’s the day he decided he was going to become a guide. He had to learn English first, and so he did. I think it’s a great story and so wonderful that he gets to do what he set out to do in the first place. I see that his love for his job helped you in your vacation.

Thank you for telling us what a great time you had.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Costa Rica Expeditions did an amazing job planning our honeymoon. We worked with Elena Monge, who couldn’t have been more flexible and accommodating with our itinerary. The first itinerary that Elena sent us wasn’t quite what we were hoping for (we were looking to get outside, meet locals and get out of our comfort zone), but after explaining what we were looking for, Elena changed up the plan and it was fantastic. The hotels we stayed at were top notch, all our transfers were on time and the drivers/staff and guides provided by Costa Rica Expeditions were friendly, polite and extremely knowledgeable and willing to share their experiences of life in Costa Rica. The only downside is that if you’re looking to stay at a hostel or to get a true experience of Costa Rican living arrangements, Costa Rica Expeditions may not be able to arrange that for you. That being said, we organized a portion of our trip for ourselves (a stay in Puerto Viejo) and Costa Rica Expeditions provided transportation to and from Puerto Viejo and to and from the activities we did in Puerto Viejo. So, it might be possible to arrange your own lodging and still work with Costa Rica Expeditions.

Natalia J, Guest Satisfaction at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Adam P,

It’s great to see that you were able to set up the trip you had in mind and we had a hand in making that happen. You are right to mention that we don’t book hostels, mostly since we cannot vouch for the level of service you will get from them, which is a thing we take very seriously. We do, on the other hand book activities that can help you get in touch with the local community so that you get to experience a deeper sense of what Costa Rica is like . An example of this is located in Tortuguero where we have a program called “Word Adventure” where we offer our guests the opportunity to teach local children how to speak English.

Though this program is just for the Tortuguero area, it’s just an example of the type of tours that we could be able to arrange for you. We are very much overjoyed that you would want to participate in activities that would require more contact with our country and its people since we believe that’s what’s traveling is all about.

I have let Elena Monge know how great you felt about the job she did for you. We always appreciate whatever feedback we can get since it helps us get better at what we do.

Thank you for taking the time to write to tell us how your trip went!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We wanted to plan a vacation to Costa Rica. Having never been there, I decided to use a service. It was my first time and I was a little nervous about putting everything in the hands of someone else but I have to say I couldn't have been more pleased. Our trip was 10 days and we went to 3 different locations. Everyone involved with the company, from drivers to pilots to guides, were very friendly and helpful. On the 3 hour ride to Arenal, our guide, Marcia, said we would get there early in the day and the rest of the day was ours. She asked if there was anything we wanted to do. We told her we wanted to go rappelling in waterfalls and, during the ride, she took care of getting our reservations and letting us know what the cost would be. She even came with the driver to take us to our adventure. On our trip back from Quespos to San Jose, our driver asked if we had seen everything we wanted. I said that the only 2 things I missed was the squirrel monkey and the crocodiles. He took care of the crocodiles...he dropped us off at the bridge for the Tercoles River and then met us on the other side. Crossing the bridge we saw over 30 crocs! There is nothing about our trip that I can complain about. Costa Rica Expeditions provided outstanding service every step of the way.

1  Thank lbalon

Dear lbalon,

It is wonderful to read a review such as the one you posted where we have a guest that really enjoyed himself and appreciated all that we did for him.

That extra effort that was shown by both your guide and your driver are very characteristic of our staff since we really do want our guest to enjoy their vacation time as much as possible. Small details such as the ones you mentioned end up making a big difference in the overall enjoyment and appreciation of your time here. It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed these extra touches so much.

I am sorry that you missed the squirrel monkey but maybe we can make it up to you one day!

Thank you for taking the time to tell us how your trip went.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

The people of Costa Rica are its greatest treasure: warm, sincere, polite, personable, well-educated, helpful, and considerate. There is so much national pride evident in the way that they interact with others and respect the land and its inhabitants. My kids will never again appreciate a zoo because they have seen how animals behave in their natural habitats.

The educational value in EVERYTHING we saw and even things we didn't think to ask about was a very pleasant surprise. The personal guides went way above and beyond by learning about each one of us and anticipating or responding to our every need and/or interest. The hotels were all charming and amazing--no generic chain hotel experiences.

The uniqueness of the excursions and the warm, articulate, and personal service were unparalleled. I appreciated the confident and definite opinions about which hotels and/or activities would suit our preferences.

Every single person we encountered, from the initial email, to the final drop off for home, was stellar. Honestly, I wish there were organizations this well run to cover every part of the world, as we would certainly use this level of service on all of our future travels.

Costa Rica is even more amazing than you can imagine. The people are beautiful in every way, the food is incredible, the wildlife is abundant, and there is so much unspoiled nature. Costa Ricans are very proud of their country, as well they should be. You should not even consider planning a trip there without Costa Rica Expeditions because they will do everything for you and it won't cost you any more than if you were to research and plan it all yourself.

The overall cost was more than we've ever spent on a family vacation, but in the end, we felt we got every penny's worth and more. This was the easiest and one of the most fulfilling travel experiences we have ever had.

Natalia J, Guest Satisfaction at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear LindaShane1019,

Reading a review like the one you posted is a wonderful thing!

Not only do I feel that you appreciated what we did for you, but I feel you really appreciated our country and its people and that is far and above what we in the tourism business strive to do daily in our job.We try to show you Costa Rica through our eyes. I am very happy you enjoyed our people, our places and what we offer our guests.

I really want to thank you for taking the time to write us to tell us how your vacation went.