Adventure Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
City Express San Jose Costa Rica(San Antonio De Belen)
View Hotel
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose(San Antonio De Belen)
2,581 results
All reviewsclose to the airportmoon glow restauranteric robinsoncosta ricalast nightfree shuttlefree breakfastfree international callshot tubcar rentalnext morningthe san jose airportrestaurant barrooms are largepura vidawake up callan early flight
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 May 2010

I’ve just recently returned from Costa Rica, which was a once in a lifetime experience. This was my first time staying at the Adventure Inn, and the second time for my friends who I travelled with. My friends arrived a day earlier, and were there for four nights, while I was only there for three nights, but I can definitely say I will be staying there for future trips.

The hotel was very peaceful and clean. The grounds were absolutely beautiful and well maintained. There were no critters or cockroaches; the only thing I noticed was Geckos, which are harmless and all over Costa Rica. The landscaping was unlike no other and more renovations are underway, so it can only get better than it already is. If you plan on staying in the hotel during the day, the pool is closed until five pm because of the renovations, but I didn’t find this to be a problem considering we didn’t get back each day until the late evening.

The location is great if you would like to be close to the airport, but is about two hours away from the beaches. Depending on your interests, not much is nearby. There is a mall which is about a ten min walk away and a great souvenir gift shop that has a variety of items and very great prices! The hotel will provide transportation to and from the airport by reimbursing you for the taxi cab ride and they even have several taxis waiting onsite for your convenience. But don’t let the location persuade you from staying here because the front desk has several tours that will pick up and drop off right from the front door. If you choose to rent a car, they also provide free onsite parking.

The rooms were very beautiful, clean and comfortable. It was the best sleep I’ve had in a long time. Each room is equipped with AC, however, not once did we even need to turn it on. Just open a window and let the breeze at night come in. Housekeeping also comes in daily and does a spectacular job. If needed, they will provide laundry service. Just place your items in the bag and it will be ready, clean and pressed by the time you get back. There are in room safes for one dollar a day if you choose. I personally didn’t feel I needed to lock anything up. I felt safe leaving my valuable belongings in the room while gone. If you’re a coffee drinker, they provide Brit dark roast coffee in the rooms, with cream and sugar and will restock as needed. Unlike hotels in the US where they only provide you with a filter or two, they actually give you a jar of the grounds, which is amazing considering it’s the best coffee I’ve ever had!!

The restaurant downstairs has excellent prices, specials and great food. I recommend the chicken teriyaki sandwich or chicken quesadillas. They were my favorite. It’s an indoor/outdoor so at night when the temperatures drop, make sure you bring a lightweight sweater if you’re prone to get cold because of the slight breeze. The staff is wonderful and very friendly. Keep in mind that you’re not in the US though and they aren’t accustomed to faced paced service. I found this to be very nice as they aren’t trying to rush you out of the place. The continental breakfast in the morning was delicious. They offered more than you would get at any hotel in the US. I had the American option, which consisted of two pancakes, a slice or two of ham, and eggs. There are also fruit platters out, bread, brownies, cookies and coffee. It was a great start to each day!

Also in the hotel are four computers available with internet. If you have a lap top, free wireless is available as well. A fitness center and book exchange located in the computer area upstairs!

The best part of all was the price per night. You can’t beat it anywhere else! If you’re looking to be on the water and need to be waited on hand and foot though, this is not the place for you. However, if you want a quiet and peaceful hotel with great rates, this will truly be your home away from home.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 May 2010

The staff at this hotel, with no exceptions, was the friendliest group of people we met the entire time we were in Costa Rica. The rooms were spotless, the a/c was strong, it was quiet, close to the airport, and I would recommend it as the perfect hopping off point for anyone. I have absolutely no complaints and only positive feelings about it. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed 8 May 2010

We enjoyed our stays at Adventure Inn. It was recommended to us by our daughter who joined us with her family, on the way to southern C.R. My wife and I stayed again on our return trip.
The quiet friendly Inn was a welcome surprise compared to our previous stays at the airport hotels.At the Inn we felt more at home and less "processed" than at the chain hotels. And the location is not far from the airport at all.
The owners are obviously pouring money back into their premises-as- they- can, creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere with various balconies , infinity pool , hot tubs and wading pools spread out in different locations and surrounded by local decor , both authentic and inspired-by.
I easily forgot the highway a short distance away and the fact that we were somehow nestled next to a suburb. It was a world apart as I ventured through interesting hallways of Aztec styled sculptures and discovered a couple having a coffee on a quiet balcony. They were soaking up the last morning in C.R. before their flight back to reality .
The service was extremely efficient. Every detail that I was concerned about turned out to have been taken care of before I asked. Even the free shuttle was waiting for me and not the other way round.
The free breakfast was good and our dinner was tasty and surprisingly well priced.
So I'm glad I stayed. Everyone has their own tastes , but I don't think you'd go wrong by giving it a try.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2010

I knew when I arrived that I was at the wrong place. I had a confirmed reservation for 3 weeks with an email confirmation from the owner, Eric, but when I arrived they had no record of any reservation! I did end up in a small room with no windows and a loud wall a/c unit - not the nice. cozy room with a jacuzzi that I was promised. The food and service in the restaurant were sub-par and they allowed smoking in the restaurant which is a violation of national law. The fixtures in the bathroom looked like they were from the 1920's and the hot water was not working the morning I left, so I took a cold shower before heading to the airport. My "breakfast to-go" consisted of a dry, smelly piece of ham and two pieces of crusty bread! If you can, avoid this place at all costs!

Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank Wahoo45
AdventureInn, Manager at Adventure Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2010

It is true that we did make a mistake on this person's reservation. We had him reserved for a Jacuzzi room, however one of our receptionists erroneously switched him to a regular room and we didn't realize it until after he had arrived - at which point all of our Jacuzzi rooms were occupied and the guests were already checked in. I personally apologized to him and offered him a free dinner as well as refunding him about 25% off his room rate. He ate two full entres, consumed four drinks and had four other bottled waters to go, but even still, we charged him nothing in an attempt to keep him happy and rectify our mistake.

As for the people smoking in the restaurant, it is not against Costa Rican law to smoke inside, however we opted to be a smoke-free hotel two years ago and do not allow smoking anywhere in the building, including the restaurant/bar area. Because our brand new outdoor pool and patio area is open-air to the bar and restaurant, some people stood in the doorway and breezes carried their cigarette smoke indoors. Today we just bought all of our new pool patio furniture so smokers have a place to sit away from the restaurant, and this should solve the problem.

Regarding his cold water shower, we just went and tested it out and it came out scorching hot. Perhaps this guest was turning on the wrong tap or he didn't give it enough time to warm up.

As for the free take-out breakfast that we volunteered to give him before 6 am, yet he was disappointed, our food is quite fresh, and the reason it was dry is because we make the sandwiches the night before and do not put mustard and mayonnaise on them to prevent them from getting soggy. Instead we provide packets of these condiments in the the take-out box, which he failed to mention. However, we are working on improving our take-out breakfasts.

Reviewed 6 May 2010

I just returned from a week in Costa Rica and spent my last night at the Adventure Inn. My boyfriend and I had an 8am flight, so we wanted to stay near the airport. After reading the rave reviews on TripAdvisor, we decided to book the Adventure Inn. What a mistake! The hotel was below-average (I'd give it a 2 star rating) and was filled with flying cockroaches of all sizes. Yes, I understand that we were in Costa Rica, a country filled with insects, however, none of our other hotels we stayed at (including one directly in the rain forest) had any cockroaches. It was disgusting, there were alive and dead cockroaches everywhere in the hotel (the lobby, the pool, the hot tub, the gym, our room). We had to put a towel under our hotel room so the cockroaches wouldn't come in. The pool was the worst, there were about 50 dead cockroaches floating on one end of the pool. The other downside to this hotel is the location, there is absolutely nothing around. The only places within walking distance are an AMPM and a mall (which is about a 20 minute walk). So you are pretty much forced to eat at the hotel restaurant, which we decided not to do after seeing all the cockroaches in this hotel.

And to top everything off, the breakfast was such a disappointment. We were told that an unlimited breakfast buffet was included and started at 6am. We had to leave for the airport at 6:15am, but the staff assured us we would have plenty of time to eat. In the morning, the restaurant where breakfast was served was closed. When we asked when it would open, the staff said someone did not show up, so we would have to wait. At 6:15am, still closed, so the staff made us "breakfast" to go, containing of some fruit and a sandwich (stale bread, one piece of ham and a slice of american cheese), which had a bug on it, not a big surprise. Let's just say we were happy to get out of there and will not be returning. I would rather splurge and spend an extra $20 to stay at the Holiday Inn Express, which is A LOT cleaner, 2 mins from the airport and next to a casino and other restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ahtraveller2000

I don't remember the last time that I saw a cockroach in our hotel. What this reviewer saw were not cockroaches, but fat flying June bugs, which come out for about three weeks at the end of Costa Rica's dry season all over the Central Valley. Had they left the hotel and walked around the neighborhood, they would have realized that this is quite natural in our area, welcome to travel! We try to keep the critters out as much as possible, however much of the hotel is open to the outside air and the June bugs can fly right in. Our pool is completely outdoor, and with the pool lights on, they are attracted to it. However, due to comments like this, it is evident that we need our staff to do a better job at night keeping them out of the hotel. I have instructed our guards to walk around with a broom and dust pan and pick them up all over the hotel and also clean them out of the pool with a net on a regular basis.

We also sincerely apologize for the terrible breakfast. Even though we offer a full American / Tico breakfast form 6 to 10 am, we volunteer to make a special take-out breakfast for those who have an earlier flight and request one. In the past few days we have received a few comments about the quality of our take-out breakfast being sub-par, so because of this, we are having a meeting with all of our restaurant staff on Monday to rectify the situation. We also recently hired a full-time professional chef to take control of the restaurant and make sure that we receive no more of these types of comments about the restaurant. It won't happen again.