“Pura vida”

Costa Rica Backpackers
“Pura vida”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was staying there 3 times, perfect location, nice chilling area, very kind staff, nice backpackers from all over the world, familiar and very helpful staff! Just the core of pura vida
Gracias chicos y hasta luego

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Fiuric

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Costa Rica Backpackers in a good choice when staying in San Jose for a day or two. The is a lot going on, nice size kitchen, small hostel bar near the kitchen and a restaurant at the back of the property. Lack of smoking areas is the only problem if you are a smoker.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2014

good atmosphere, desk staff extremely helpful at all hours, bathrooms clean and spacious, beds comfortable. outdoor area good place to hang out :) if you need a place to stay for a night or two en route to elsewhere in the island and youre on a budget then this is a good sociable option. free coffee! 30 mins drive from san jose airport though which is actually not in san jose itself!

Room Tip: we had downstairs room, next to large bathroom always clean and free. Other reviews said about the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Claremont, California
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My experience at Costa Rica Backpackers was Spectacular. I arrived in San Jose for my first backpacking trip and I immediately fell in love with this special place. Their shuttle service picked me up at the airport and safely brought me to hostel so I didn't have to deal with the taxi guys. At the hostel, my dorm room was clean and very comfortable. The hostel has a huge outdoor hammock garden with a swimming pool, daybeds to tan in, and full of great people from all around the world that I got to meet. It also had lots of computers free for me to use, great wifi connection throughout the hostel, a big kitchen to have dinner parties in all together, and also a restaurant and a bar with fun party music and cool people. One of the best features was they have this free Info Center where you can plan your tours and trips all over the country. I was able to reserve a trip into the rainforest, to the Volcanoes and white-water rafting, the guy working in there helped me so much and knows all of the best places to go and things to experience in Costa Rica. They really have everything you could want from a Backpackers hostel at this place and it was always so full of cool people. A must visit place in Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Excellent and cheap dorm rooms
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank J M
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

I was informed that my dorm room was $14 instead of $12 because they put me in a female only dorm (rip off!), which makes no sense form them to charge more for. I had to return multiple times to my room to check if I had bedding on my dorm bed. At night I was informed by someone who just checked into the same dorm that I had to go to the front to grab bedding myself. Multiple people (myself included!!) got bed bugs. The staff told me they already knew about the problem, but them why hadn't they done anything about it yet.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank dannivs

Travellers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 15 April 2014

For me, Costa Rica Backpackers is more like a well-prices hotel as opposed to a hostel. The amenities are great, especially the large pool and garden area! The restaurant on property is also wonderful--delicious food for a great price! I recommend the pancakes and the chicken kebab. What impressed me most about Backpackers is there is staff constantly cleaning and making sure the hostel is impeccably clean for the guests. I would absolutely recommend this hostel for anyone looking for a place to stay in San José. If you want, splurge a little for the private rooms...they are wonderful! The only downside to Backpackers, as many have noted, is the train that runs behind the building, but this is not the fault of the hostel and they are working to make it better. Don't be driven away by this small inconvenience because Costa Rica Backpackers is the place to be in San José!

Room Tip: Splurge for a twin or double private if you can! Worth the price for some privacy!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Costa Rica Backpackers is by far the best place to stay in the city! Definitely a backpacker hostel, so its really easy to meet fellow travelers here! It is located in a great location walking distance to all of the main attractions (parks, museums, national theater, etc.) but not located DIRECTLY downtown where it can get a bit sketchy at night.
The place really beautiful with lots of tropical plants and lots of hammocks/lounging areas to chill out and take a nap in during the day. It also has a very nice in the ground swimming pool perfect for cooling off in during a hot afternoon.
I stayed in a dorm room for $12/night and the beds were clean and comfortable and the bathrooms/showers were also very clean. I noticed that there were staff constantly cleaning the property/bathrooms so things never got dirty.
There is also a restaurant on site with super good local food (casados, pasta, curry, burgers) for really cheap prices. I had the Caribbean chicken and it was super tasty!
Best part about this place is that you don't have to leave to go to the bar! There is a small outdoor bar with really good happy hour prices and very chill bartenders.
They also have someone working reception 24/7, which is very convenient, so you don't have to plan around quite hours or worry about checking out before the morning receptionist gets in.
I thought the staff at the hostel were all EXCELLENT! Steve at reception was really great at check-in and gave me a map of the city and directions on how to get to the downtown area. Justin in the tour office helped me plan my whole week of traveling, booked tours for me, gave me great hostel recommendations, and priceless travel advice.
I also loved the free coffee all day!
I am definitely coming back to Costa Rica Backpackers the next time I am in San Jose! Really good chill vibes and very helpful staff.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
#4 of 82 in San Jose
Casa Yoses Hostel
Casa Yoses Hostel
#15 of 82 in San Jose

Been to Costa Rica Backpackers? Share your experiences!