“Home away from home”
Review of Hostel Pangea

Hostel Pangea
Reviewed 22 June 2011

I'm surprised at the bad reviews. I was a big fan of this hostel. I stayed here 3 times. It was better than any of the hostels I stayed in in Europe or other parts of CR. There's not that much to do in San Jose but I used this hostel as a hub before I headed out to other parts of the country. The stay was cheap and so was the food and beer. I guess it all depends on your expectations but this place was just right for me. If I had to complain about anything I think the airport shuttles should be cheaper. OH and the artwork on the wall is great fun. I wish I could add the pictures but don't have them with me.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 June 2011

Younger local guy with shaved head at reception made everyone I met say they won't return. Def not worth the money and they make you feel like you're such an in convenience

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Divemarkk
Reviewed 8 May 2011

worst hostel ive ever stayed in my life. staff were rude, slow and incompetent. be prepared for music to statr playing at 9am to wake you up (despite 11am checkout). I went to ask them to turn it down and they turned it up and explained it is an alarm for the hsotel. dogs barking all through the night, awful food and the worst mojito in the world.
this place is a disgrace. it looks like a prison complex.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Chad O
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I stayed here for 5 days, and then a separate time for 3 days.
It's close to a lot of sight seeing, you just have to find the way. Most of the staff were helpful to me, but others seemed to have different opinions. It's fairly safe once your inside.
It has a great pool area, restaurant with lots of computers around the tables, a TV room with books to exchange. Theres a pool table. Plenty of rooms; shared with others or you can get your own room. The upstairs restaurant is great, they are limited with what they have to offer but it is nice to have food made for you. No kitchen though, but they offer a lot. It is a party place though, they pump the music all night and have a dance floor. The shared rooms are almost right beside it too.... Good luck if your there to sleep.

The art on the walls around this place is awesome. I loved it.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 March 2011

Plus:
- hot showers
- nice tourist info
- free wifi
- cool view over San José

Minus:
- very basic rooms, only furnished with bunk beds, nothing else
- dark rooms, no daylight
- annoying "flirty" staff
- staff walks into rooms without knocking and without visible reason
- thin walls, noisy due to bar until midnight

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2011

The hostel is fine if you're just there for a night or two. The staff working in the bar is nice and the guys who are working in the little onsite tour office are nice too. But the reception staff is so rude! I walked in around 11am and asked for a room. There was a bed available in a dorm and so he checked me in. I couldn't enter the room or anything else in the hostel outside the reception area until I had paid. I didn't have enough dollars to pay the room and there exchange rate is outrageous so I didn't want to pay with colones. So I went to an nearby ATM to get dollars but it wasn't working. The reception guy sends me to another one, but it's still not working. Back in the hostel I asked if I could use the wifi so I could check my bank account and see if there was something wrong. He told me the only place where there was a signal for wifi was the reception area. The signal was so weak that I couldn't get access to the internet. I asked if I could use a computer if available. He said there are no computers for guests (later I found out that there are about 20 in the bar free to use!). Anyway after a while the guy finally tells me that he forgot to say, but most benelux guests have problems using that bank with our sort of card. I should go to another bank. He gives me directions but they are wrong. Well finally at 2pm I have the money. I can go to the room and it's ok. Nothing special but good enough for a night. In the evening I ask if I can leave my stuff in the hostel the next day after check out because I would go on a rafting trip all day and have a night bus at 11pm out of San Jose. The same guy is still at reception and tells me that it will cost me US$ 5 (!!!! first hostel of the 120 in the world I've been to that dares to ask this) to leave my bag in the hostel and also if I come back in the evening I can only stay till 7/8pm for this 5 dollar and use the facilities. They considered me staying another night if I would stay after 8pm eventhough I wouldn't have a key or even my bag! I'm too tired to start a discussion with these rude people so I go to bed. Luckily I could take all my stuff to the rafting place and leave it there till they brought me back to San Jose. When I came back in the hostel around 6.30pm there was a different guy at reception and he still made me pay the 5 dollars but we agreed on me staying till 10pm. If there would have been one nice central bus station in San Jose I would have definitely gone there, but unfortuntately there isn't so I felt like I had no other option than staying in the hostel. Anyway I was really happy to leave at 10pm. And I would not recommend this place. Apart that the reception staff is so rude, there are a lot of rules, they want money for everything, and really the hostel isn't that nice. Very average. They really try too hard. Nice food in the restaurant tough and a normal exchange rate there.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 March 2011

We stayed for two nights in Pangea, hoping it would be a fun way of saying goodbey to San Jose. When entering the hostel we immediately were overwhelmed with all the rules and signs in the hostel. A bit too much.

The room we stayed in, had thin walls and a roofwindow that kinda woke you up at sunrise. The Hallways are terrible noisy, We had to put in earplugs because 20 meter further down the hallway people were talking. We dont mind earplugs, but just to give you an idea of the loudness. The matrass was of excelent quality.

The restaurant serves good diner, but a bit ovepriced for us. Especially the 3USD beer! Rediculous for a HOSTEL! A meal would cost you minimum 6USD. But its pretty decent. They wont let you drink or eat you own things in the bar, and thats the thing. The hole place is the bar. The places were you are alowed to eat are not nice to sit and to enjoy the atmosphere of the hostel.

Internet is pretty fast, Wifi and Desktop, and the Pool is okay. They make you pay 5USD per person if you would like to be in the hostal a bit longer after checkout 11PM or when you have to store your luggage longer than 1pm. This were they really need to change things. This is too stupid. Where's the service in this?!

Also they have laundry service for ONLY 9USD. This is more like the advertisement for a luxe resort than for a backpackers hostal. We have been to many places but 9usd for Laundry?.

If they focus more on the service than on money making than it could be a nice hostal. Also I would advise them to change the advertisement at the pool with the dirty fingernail with the Imperial.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
#33 of 80 in San Jose
Selina San Jose
Selina San Jose
#11 of 80 in San Jose

Been to Hostel Pangea? Share your experiences!