“Large alright hostel”
Review of Hostel Pangea

Hostel Pangea
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed here one night. Was okay. A bit too big to be like other hostels. Staff weren't very helpful with ideas, they try to charge for everything, no kitchen to cook, someone tried to cut my lock off a locker. Wifi is good, location is good. Beds, bathrooms were okay. Overall was okay, but nothing special. No events on as far as I could tell and was too cold to use the pool, which didn't have many places to sit.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 April 2014

A good starting point hostel for Costa Rica, and nicely situated. There are plenty of amenities, a good bar, superb bathrooms and the rooms are ok (if not a little bit chilly at night). The only downsize is that you have to pay for EVERYTHING.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This is a modern and friendly hip hostel within the city limits. It’s clean and inviting; only a few hundred meters from some of the more popular attractions. The Wi-Fi is strong, the pool is clean, and the roof top bar/restaurant serves up the best day/night time entertainment while offering an breath taking view of the city. Disclaimer: My room had a large photo of a hamburger with some strange toppings… it looked good… I asked the chef could he make me a burger just like the one in the picture… he came to my room, took down the poster/pic and make it… Wow… and it was amazing. Even better, as I’m chowing down on this mammoth of a burger other guest inquired how they could get one… thus was born the “Alex Burger”…. So, of course I love this place (I have an item on the menu named after me)…

Room Tip: Try the burger...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Very unfriendly welcome. Would not let us use the phone to contact the hotel we we're staying before this one, because we forgot something. They did not help us at all.
Room is so small! There is no window or AC. Only a bed and a save. Not even a table or closet. Very very noisy, you can hear everything. Inside and outside the hostel. You need earplugs for sure!
Food and drinks are very expensive.
If you book a shuttle with them, they won't charge you for using their facilities after check out. If you don't, you pay a lot of money. When you are in the shuttle, they drive like crazy! Asked the driver to slow down, he said he did not speak English... We arrived at the airport sick!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tilburg2014
Reviewed 27 March 2014

"Pangea always as rooms" my travelmates told me. Now I know why.

First - BEWARE THE AIRPORT SHUTTLE SCAM. Pangea will drive you to the airport for $22 if you're the only person, or $12 if there are two or more. Except that they don't tell you when you sign up if you're the only person, so they charge you $12 - implying there are other people - and then you get an super s****y surprise the moment the driver shows up and he tells you you can either pay $10 more to take the shuttle you already paid for, or you can forfeit the $12 you've already paid and spend even more on a cab. If you can find one. Do yourself a favor and take the public bus for $1.

Second - no kitchen, and literally no table to use for food preparation or eating. They have tables upstairs by the bar, but they are only for food that you've bought from the bar - as their signs obnoxiously remind you.

Third - Horrible club music BLARING at all hours of the day and night from the bar. So if you want to use your computer at one of the tables they do have in the place, bring earplugs.

Fourth - Some of the spottiest wifi I encountered in 3.5 months of traveling Central America.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, I'd advise choosing a different hostel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Manley_Ramirez
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I'm not sure of the other hostel standards in San Jose but this was definitely the worst out of the ones I stayed in Costa Rica
Stayed in a 4 bed room dorm with 3 other people I travelled with and used San Jose as a pit stop between cities
It got really cold at night, and the blanket was a thin piece of cloth. The dorms are Very basic and wernt the cleanest
However it was fairly close (5 min walk) to the bus stops heading to arenal and Monteverde and downtown San Jose (not much to do there however)
Some staff was nice while some were horrible, tried to make us pay extra and were told the issue would be resolved in the morning but then blamed us because we didn't get written confirmation that the issue would be resolved

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I almost left this truly awful place. Not only is it one of the most uncomfortable places I've ever stayed (ancient mattresses, no fans, noisy, smelly, dorms like prison cells, bunk beds with no ladders so people have to step on the lower bunk to get to the top, one sink for 20 people) but the staff is awful, the wifi works intermittently, in one common room only and you feel like you've stepped into the depths of hell once you enter. It's also expensive and they upcharge you for everything like lockers and late checkout. Not only that but I booked through Hostelworld, but they immediately contacted me to tell me that even though hostelworld said I have a confirmed reservation, I didn't have a confirmed reservation until I give them my credit card number directly. In fact they were still harassing me 7 hours AFTER I checked in and paid for the room, saying they don't get the money from hostelworld . . . WHAT? Oh, and they have a pool. Dare you to get in it.

Room Tip: female dorms have a window that looks into the bar. noisy and not the most comfortable view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
#33 of 80 in San Jose
Selina San Jose
Selina San Jose
#11 of 80 in San Jose

Been to Hostel Pangea? Share your experiences!