“Comfortable stay, location close to bus stations”
Review of Hostel Pangea

Hostel Pangea
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Looking at the previous reviews for this place, I´m honestly not sure why so many people rated it so poorly! I returned for a second night after my initial stay becuase I was so comfortable! Not only was this place within walking distance of the two bus terminals I needed (Caribeno and Atlantico) but I found the beds themselves to be very comfortable. The dorms are relatively small and the bathrooms are clean. This hostel has a nice bar/restaurant on top that serves pretty good, though slightly expensive, food. It is said to be somewhat of a party place, but I only saw people have a few drinks and then go to bed or go out to an actual bar. Most of the staff was helpful enough and one guy even helped me find a quiet place to conduct a phone interview while I was there. Overall, I have no real complaints and definitely think you should give this place a chance. I would go back if I were ever in San Jose again.

Room Tip: Dorm room 3 faces the street and is quieter than 1 and 2 which back up onto the bar.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank FeistyNYC

Reviewed 29 May 2014

An ideal place to stay for one night max.

I stayed in the private female dorm, which was fine. I like that there's a key card to get into the room so I not only felt safe personally but also felt pretty safe leaving my non-valuable belongings in the room. However, my only issue was that the rooms faced the back of the bar so I had to try to fall asleep to the loud music being played until midnight.

The shared bathroom was ok. The water pressure is weak at times so don't expect to have a great shower.

The hang out area consists of about 8 computers, an outdoor patio, a pool table and bar, which also serves decent food. It was easy to meet and socialize with people around the pool table.

The shuttle to the airport ($12 if more than 1 person, $22 for a single person) is quite convenient when arriving or leaving Costa Rica. It's cheaper than a taxi. However, if you don't have a suitcase or anything too heavy, you could potentially take a bus (I took a Directo to Alajuela) for about 500 colones to the airport and it takes about the same time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank canhazburrito
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Accidently went there( taxi dropped me off) at the WRONG place.) Decided to stay cause the price was ok. However a BIG mistake. A very poor mannered,indifferent desk man awaited me.. The security gate man was nice although. I was assigned a bed and a locker that was taken already. Spoke with the staff about another bed and he blatently lied... His comment, 'There are no more beds" The place had numerous empty rooms( I understand why now) let alone beds!!! The Gatekeeper got me a bed eventually. thanks!
THeir food and beer prices were out-of -sight Even for San Jose! THis place felt like a prison:fortunately I was paroled out the next morning into freedom. The place looks and reads well in guide books and THEIR web site,but do yourself a favor and avoid it.
As a hostel owner myself,I learned what not to do by staying here. Bad personal experience. but a great business experience! Next time,sleeping in the nearby Morazon PArk with crackheads roaming about could be a better option

Room Tip: Just Don't go!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank mike w
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Staff are rude to say the least, the barman only cared about what music he was choosing on his computer, any reasonable request such as "could I get a beer?" was met with contempt and rudeness. Very expensive, far too many signs everywhere telling you how you are not entitled to anything unless you pay for it etc. The place had absolutely no atmosphere as a result of the staff and the rules so nothing exciting took place. My advice is to stay away, and judging by nearly all the other reviews written here, I'm not the only one thinking this. Bad mistake.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EddieDawson
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

My partner and I arrived from Monteverde and pulled up at this hostel as it's closest to the bus station for the Caribbean transfers! Arriving at 11am, we asked the staff if there were any busses heading to our chosen town today. They said no you just missed the last one. So we reluctantly paid for a nights accommodation and walked around to the bus station to book tickets for the following morning. Alas, we found out there were several more busses heading to the town that afternoon. Happily, we walked back to the hostel (still not checked in as it was only 11:20am) and they REFUSED TO REFUND US. The staff member called the owner and he wouldn't speak to me directly, just said it's been put through the till and that's that.

Very upset at how we were treated by the non sympathetic staff. Be careful with the information they provide as they very clearly want you to book with their in-house travel agent.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AllyandChris1
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed here one night. Was okay. A bit too big to be like other hostels. Staff weren't very helpful with ideas, they try to charge for everything, no kitchen to cook, someone tried to cut my lock off a locker. Wifi is good, location is good. Beds, bathrooms were okay. Overall was okay, but nothing special. No events on as far as I could tell and was too cold to use the pool, which didn't have many places to sit.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 April 2014

A good starting point hostel for Costa Rica, and nicely situated. There are plenty of amenities, a good bar, superb bathrooms and the rooms are ok (if not a little bit chilly at night). The only downsize is that you have to pay for EVERYTHING.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
#4 of 84 in San Jose
Relax Hostel
Relax Hostel
#10 of 84 in San Jose

Been to Hostel Pangea? Share your experiences!