“Good place to stay while exploring San Jose” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sleep Inn Hotel Paseo Las Damas

Sleep Inn Hotel Paseo Las Damas
Ranked #25 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
Denver, Colorado
“Good place to stay while exploring San Jose”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

We stayed here for two nights on the last leg of an eight day road trip. This Sleep Inn is not like the Sleep Inns in the US. It is more upscale and the plaque at the door has 4 stars which might be stretching it by about a half star. The property is one of the newest hotels in San Jose with decent rooms. The breakfast is quite adequate and the staff friendly. The one thing that detracted from the experience was the very poor internet connectivity. The only wifi in the hotel is in the lobby. The connectivity in the rooms is via their in-house wired network and the bandwidth is so bad it is almost unusable. We got better internet service in a backpackers hostel in the mountains. That said the location of the hotel is an excellent spot from which to explore the city center with its culture and many museums which are all within a short walk.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the casino side. The other side of the hotel is quite close to a major street wit...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank denverflier

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Czech first
Albuquerque
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

The only thing I have to add that is not in the other reviews is that while Wi-Fi is only available in the lobby, every room seems to have a functional Ethernet jack under the desk. $7.00 per day is ridiculous rent for a $3.00 cable.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

We stayed two nights. Cheaper & better location than Holiday Inn. Had good beds and ALL the standard American hotel amenities, except limited wi-fi. Complete American breakfast. But separate Magnolia restaurant had poor food and slow service. Avoid the smoke-filled casino.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Parker
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

I have stayed at this hotel at least six times when in Costa Rica. It is clear now that this American Brand hotel does not want the business of the traveler indulging in the "Pura Vida" of Costa Rica. The hotel is now charging an unreasonable fee to bring a "guest" to your room. This trip, me and my buddy gladly checked out after one night and move to a guest friendly hotel, costing the Sleep Inn over $800 in room reservations for their $35 per guest fee. Your hotel is next to the most famous night spot in Costa Rica. You have no problem running a casino which is another legal activity. However, this "guest fee" is a reason that tourist wanting to stay near the night life find another hotel.

Yes, it is clean, the staff is helpful and friendly, conforms to American standards, but guys it will cost you an arm and leg to have any fun here. Stay elsewhere. The place still can not get free hotel wide wireless internet either.

Room Tip: If you love horn honking get a room with a odd number...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank airdronepilot
ASMCR, Gerente at Sleep Inn Hotel Paseo Las Damas, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear Guest,

We hope you are well, its good to know that you like our hotel, thanks God we have an excellent product in the heart of the city, as you mentioned we have a $35 charge to take visitors to the rooms, this is a policy of the hotel in order to offer a safety place to all our guests, and nice enviroment for all our visitors, everybody are welcome to stay at our hotel, so we hope you change your mind about the cost, we are sure than our rates are excellent for an excellent product we offer, thank you for your kindly attention.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed in San Jose for a short, one night visit before heading to the Arenal Volcano Region. The Sleep Inn is a very American style hotel, similar to a Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn in the US. The rooms have everything you need but there are no frills. We had a comfortable stay.

The front desk staff was very kind and helpful during our time at the Sleep Inn. The hotel also provides guests with complimentary breakfast.

If you are looking for a nearby restaurant recommendation, I highly recommend eating at La Esquina de Buenos Aires, an Argentine restaurant just a few blocks form the hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
North Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel the day of my arrival in Costa Rica and then one more day before departing from the country. The location is excellent: near the pedestrial walk, the Theatre, the Gold museum, stores, etc. The hotel is secure by being gated and I did not feel that the area was unsafe.
The rooms are roomy, clean, good bathrooms, nice beds and TV with several channels being offered.
The breakfast is good, although not luxurious.
As for the staff, it is uneven. Some front desk staff are unattentive and do not seem to be happy to be there, while others are pleasant.
One piece of advice though: be careful when choosing a room. The first time I stayed there I had a room on the third floor on the even numbered side and had a wonderful sleep, faced the parking area and it was really quiet. However, the next time I stayed there I was given a room on the odd numbered side on the same third floor and faced the street. It was noisy from all the traffic and even worse, I could hear the music from some type of bar, dance hall, thumping until after 2:30 in the morning. I did not have much sleep inspite of using ear plugs, which were not enough. Other guests on the same side in nearby rooms complained of the same thing. Moral: only get rooms that even numbered!

Room Tip: Choose even numbered rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Pompano Beach Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel 2 times, only 5 days from each other. The first time, checking in on Nov.24th, 2011 was very pleasant. The Front Desk Clerks were professional & polite. Offering help or information.

Just 5 days later. checking in on Nov. 30th, 2011 this hotel had changed. When I checked in, this clerk was rude & just handed the room key. When I got the room, it was only a king bed room. I had reserved a Suite, with sitting area/sofa. I needed the sitting area, as I had planned to private business meeting with a banker. (IE: not info I wanted to talk about in the lobby)
I went back downstairs to explain that I needed the suite. I was told they didn't have that type of room available. I explained to the clerk that I needed that sitting area for a meeting. She then told me that I was not allowed to take guests to my room. I explained again, that it was a personal business meeting & that I did not want to conduct that meeting in the lobby. She told me I could not have a larger room & that I would have to pay her $35. to have a guest in my room.

After re-explaining to the clerk, that I was not willing to pay a bribe or conduct a personal meeting in the lobby, then she told me that she was "sick of talking to me" & that I could have 30 minutes in the room for a meeting. but the room I had reserved was not available.

The way I was treated at this hotel was unprofessional. a joke.
WiFi only works in the lobby.

The hotel is not in a nice area. it is very rough, lots of homeless & drugs. Maybe this hotel should rent rooms by the hour.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple