“April 2012 Good Location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Palma Real Hotel & Casino

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Palma Real Hotel & Casino
Ranked #34 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
Indian Wells
“April 2012 Good Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

This hotel is in a great location where you may not get lost. We had a rental car delivered here prior to driving South/East and it was a few minutes from the Hwy we needed and easy to find. The hotel offers shuttle to/from airport which we emailed ahead for the connection. The shuttle was not a long wait and saved the confusion of driving in a place you did not know. The breakfast buffet is fabulous a great selection. The rooms are ok nothing fancy but clean and comfortable. Front desk service was good. Overall this was an ok hotel not our favorite. We got it at a reduce price $59/night which is about right.

Room Tip: No Pool, No Spa, Great Buffet,
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank nblapaz
Nmurillo, Director General at Palma Real Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear guest,

We appreciate your comments, our location allows quick access whenever and safe for most connections from the capital.

We certainly offer free shuttle service from airport-hotel - airport the customers must submit in writing the solicitation only 48 hours before arrival or departure to hotel.

The breakfast we continue to offer is bufete, the overall service sets us apart from other hotels, we always give the best.

Daniel Navas
Barcelo Palma Real

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
Coronado, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I was going back to Miami and needed a room for one night. I had a taxi already arranged and I ask the front desk to confirm. In error they canceled the taxi. A loss to me of 25 dollar not to mention having to run around the hotel at 4 am looking for a taxi. I went to my room on the 1st floor and their were stains all over the carpet. It was filthy. The room was ok and I went to dinner at the hotel. I had a glass of wine that was now vinegar....I ate 4 bites of the spaggetti and something was wrong. I went to the bathroom with a cold sweat and vomited. When I went home I got my bill and found that I was charge 2 nights instead of 1 night. After spending several hundred dollars in faxes and phone calls as no one spoke english, they finally admitted their error but first they had me send a copy of my visa statement to them even though their own records showed I was there only one night which they sent me a copy of...!!!!!. They finally admitted their error and they said they would also credit me 25 dollars for the taxi which of course they never did......for a hotel of this size there was no one there and now I know why.....if you attempt to make a reservation be prepared to sit on the phone for an hour.......STAY CLEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: There is a Best Western up the street that is almost brand new....stay there same price much nicer a...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank gshillaire
Dear Guest,

The free shuttle service airport-hotel airport, must be coordinated 48 hours before your arrival or departure.

Your transportation info was received and coordinated according to the request, we understood that not being informed about the schedule and policies prior to their arrival.

Regarding the rooms are being made the improvements necessary to the enjoyment of our guests.

Regarding food, we continue to seek the satisfaction of our customers tastes in maintaining quality and best service possible.

Finally, the transportation that we provided to you was offered without charge after considering their situation. We have a service at the front desk of 24 hours, our staff both day and night is bilingual.

Daniel Navas
Barceló Palma Real

Travellers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Bozeman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Barcelo was a wonderful place to stay. Beautiful hotel, clean, great food and close to "downtown". The two bell hops were awesome! They arranged shuttles from coast to coast for us, all day tours and went out of their way to help us as much as possible. Many of the staff were somewhat reserved, which is the only negative thing I have to say. I would stay there again and I recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street. It may be a little quieter.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nmurillo, Director General at Palma Real Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your good comments, are precisely the benefits that our hotel has and we try to improve our care and service provided, we hope to have you as a guest soon, blessings. In did we have part of the staff a little reserved, the next time you may meet Javier Serrano, Jose Muñoz, Cristian Zuñiga and part of our staff that can take care of you a little differently.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

We used this hotel at the start and end of our tour. This hotel has a fairly central location, fairly close to a large park. Pleasant reception area with small atrium. Lift access to all floors. The rooms were standard, with regards to size and faclities. Comfortable beds, good decor, decent bathrooms with good showers. The breakfast (we did not use the restaurant in the evenings) was predictable with a chef serving cooking eggs and omelettes to order. Typical Costa Rican items, such as Rice and Beans as well as Plantains. Fresh fruit and lovely coffee.

The bar area can be a little noisy during the evenings but the soundproofing is adequate.

A good hotel for a city stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Nmurillo, Director General at Palma Real Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comment, as you are mentioning our location is very close from downtowm, this allow every customer to walk around the sabana park and workout in the morning before working. Every good comment you have made help us with our staff.

We invite you to visit our restaurant during the night, we do have international and typical food, we are constantly making improvements in our hotel in order to offer the best service and acomodation,

Monteverde, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Stayed recently at this hotel. Two nights.

Arrived late on a Thursday. I was given a room on the first floor along side of the road. The rest of the rooms on both sides of the hall were empty.
Early the next morning was awakened by car alarms, passing trucks and cars. This occured at 6am. It occured the next mroning again.
I am not sure why I was placed along the roadside of the firat floor when the hotel appeared empty and the opposite side of my room away from the street side had the exact same rooms and were away from the road. I thought it was a bad choice of selection by the front desk.
The breakfast was excellent. Good choices of food and fruits.
Room service is a little pricey.
Overall I would say it is an average hotel. It is close to the Parque Sabana and would be a good choice for soccer matches. Walikg distance to the new stadium.

Room Tip: Stay away from the street side of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank supaihiker
Punta Arenas, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Choosing a Hotel is a task that every individual needs to do. For example, either if you are traveling like a tourist, or as a business person. In my case, I find this Hotel not only well located but, has all the services need it for the common traveler. The rooms are clean and well presented. The bar and restaurant, are complete with a well design international menu and under the hands of an excelent staff. On top of this, the personnel service. Every person involve in the operation and administration of this Hotel is defenetely, dedicated, to provide us the guest, with the best service. In San Jose, I had been in probably 10 different hotels but, feeling home is what Palma Real Barcelo does for me. Thank you Guys!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Traveler020557
Nmurillo, General Manager at Palma Real Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear customer,

We are glad that your staying in our hotel was great, the comment you have made encourage our staff to be better, because of our staff we can make our customers to feel like home.
We expect to have you as our customer soon, thank you very much for taking time to talk about us.

Best regards,

Glendale, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I went to Costa Rica with my mother and sister for girls vaca away. We loved the country and would recommend it to anyone. It was so much better than we have expected and we had high expectations. It is a clean, safe and friendly country. We were there for 7 nights and had the best time ever, and safe if i may add. Which ever part you decide to go you will be far from something so get ready to spend some time in the car (I would talk to our drivers who were nice and friendly and polite). We stayed in San Jose at Barcelo Palma Real. The hotel overall is awesome and clean. The bathroom was very clean but the hotel was noisy and would wake us up alot. I didn't like this part. We felt very safe here so the neighborhood is safe and you can walk around at night. It is very close to downtown (there's nothing to do there except some museums) We were on tours alot. I am very happy with the staff except Javier. He may seem nice and friendly but he is a fraud. We went to him for all our touring needs and I found out he made bunch of money from us. He was supposedly helping us but was making money while doing it as well. My advice would be to book your tours directly or with the help of Jose. Jose was very honest and very up front and nice. Every tour booked with Javier was overcharged, I asked eveyone when i went to the tours. Javier is all smiles but his main purpose is to make money. I really hated this part, I was expecting alot and was prepared to tip him big at the end but was so disappointed that didn't tip s^*t. I would consider this hotel again but stay away from Javier and work with Jose (he sends you there and you pay when you get to your desired destination unlike with Javier who gets the moeny up front) This was our big mistake as first time international travelers.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the area that looks down the dining patio. Too noisy!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family