“Excellent Choice in San Jose”

Palma Real Hotel & Casino
Ranked #24 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Recently stayed at Palma Real and found it an excellent choice. Great food, service, room, the works. Loved the location, went for a walk at the nearby park and enjoyed the restaurant as well as the Italian place next door. Very authentic food. The bedding was another aspect that exceeded expectations. Very good value for the buck.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jose B
Shirley G, Manager at Palma Real Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Mr / MS

Thanks for the comments in Trip Advisor, is very important for the Palma Real Hotel and our staff.

We will be honor to serve you again in the near future so please contact me and I will arranges all the details during your stay with us.

Best regards and thanks again

Carlos Ruiz

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We spent one night at this hotel during a week-long stay in Costa Rica and compared to the other locations we stayed at, I can't say this really stood out as anything exceptional. The rooms were clean and we had hot water. The food - we had the breakfest buffet - was not bad but not really fresh our outstanding. The hotel is kind of tucked away, so not really near a lot to do. I'd say it's probably good for the price if you need a place to just crash for the eve/as a stopover but not a "must do" vacation hotel choice.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Shirley G, Manager at Palma Real Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Ms / Mr

Greetings from the Palma Real Hotel & Casino team.

Thank you for your comments at Trip Advisor, those are really important in order improve our services and fill up our guest expectations.

I will look personally the comments with our Chef and our House Keeping to fix the details that you mention

We will be honor to serve you again in the near future so please contact me and I will arranges all the details during your stay with us and give us the chance to serve you better.

Carlos Ruiz.
Palma Real Hotel & Casino

Reviewed 11 March 2014

from the bathroom sink with some man's hair clippings in it, around it, on the soap dish and on the hand towel next to the sink….to the flimsy bath towel, the moldy bath surround and scuffed up furniture…it is what it is. Just an old dirty hotel with friendly staff. Expect nothing more and you won't be disappointed.
P.S. the sewage stench that woke me up at 2am prompted me to go plug all the drains.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Shirley G, Manager at Palma Real Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Ms / Mr

With this you greetings from the Palma Real Hotel and Casino, hoping you are well.

In advance, we thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor, it is important for us so we get feedback from our guests expectations.

For now, we will take into account the details listed on our facilities and the overall cleanliness of the rooms and bathrooms.

Always the growth of a company is to check their failures to improve and refine their virtues, we are hand in hand with the search for every day to be better in service.

Likewise, we hope you give us a chance to have him and another time in our facilities to erase that bad taste, to serve you as you deserve and meet all your requests.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed for one night and had the free buffet breakfast wich was superb. The room is ok. The shuttle service non existent UNLESS you book it 48 hours in advance. If you got there from the airport PLEASE make sure to take a cab that has a TAXI METER. If you don't you will pay around 25 000 coloned when it really only costs about 10 000 colones. You have been warned. Enjoy Costa Rica. Pura vida!

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Ms / Mr

For now, we will take into account the details listed on our services and the effectiveness of the areopuerto tranfer.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 9 nights in February. I was to be picked up at the airport, but the Hotel driver was a no show, so I paid $28 for a wild, weaving in and out of traffic night time cab ride to the hotel. I was not there 'on vacation'. I meandered around San Jose 2-3 days, but for the most part, I was either in my room on my computer, at another room visiting other guests, or in the dental office fairly close by. On several nights, I had to do liquid dinner, so I called room service and ordered a bowl of tomato soup and a small smoothie (not from a menu). I learned later that the hotel charged me $37.50 for the two bowls of tomato soup and one small smoothie! Hotel Palma Real is not the Ritz! Yeah, my fault that I didn't note the amount (in colons) on the check. I was just feeling too crummy. Had I checked it out the first time, I sure as hell would never have ordered another bowl of tomato soup for $16.00 the next night. The 'complimentary breakfast' in the dining room was just not on my morning agenda, but I guess I didn't miss anything. Over the course of 9 evenings, I consumed 3 of the 'airplane' mini-sized bottles of alcohol, one Sprite and one Hershey bar from the MINI BAR. The room was clean and orderly, but I was surprised just how clear one could hear coughing from the adjoining room. The walls are paper thin, but fortunately, adjoining room noise was at a minimum, except for my last night. The loud and lengthy disagreement out in the hallway one morning around 8:00 between I assume hotel staff, was horrific. On my last night there, I had to be up at 3:30 am to pack, check out at 6:00 am and catch the shuttle at 6:15 a.m. I did not sleep 30 seconds all night due to the 'antics, noise, and high pitched' screams from the couple who had checked into the room next door. The guy must have taken 3 little blue pills. It was NON-STOP. A knock on the wall from me did not make it stop. Finally, at checkout, the desk clerk asks me if I used the mini bar. I said yes and told him specifically what I 'used'. We went round and round about this, like he was surprised that I had not used more. I wanted to take him up to the room and I was getting a bit tired of his attitude, especially having had ZERO sleep. Finally, he presented me with the totaled bill including $31 for the mini-bar, and I gave him my bank credit card. 30 seconds later, he looks at me with a half smirk on his face and says, 'your card is declined'. At that point, I did want to ring his neck, but I remained calm, and stated, 'run it again, my bank has never declined my card in 25+ years!' The card went through perfectly in about 10 seconds. I signed the bill with the amount the clerk had printed out at the bottom. By the time I got back home, that twit had added an additional $22.34 to my bank card. I find that to be bad business and underhanded and I have no idea why he did it or what it was for! I plan to return to Costa Rica for a real vacation, but I will never ever stay at the Palma Real Hotel again and I would never recommend it. The doorman Javier is very sweet and helpful. Too bad he isn't in charge of the desk.

Room Tip: Based on my stay, I can't add a tip...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Laurie F

Dear Ms / Mr

For now, we will take into account the details listed on the prices of our services, the effectiveness of the areopuerto tranfer, the noise produced in the rooms for guests and in the halls of our staff, which may disturb other customers .

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed at this property last week. It states that it has a pool, however, the pool is a 1/2 block away at another property. The complimentary breakfast was really good the first day and then declined a little each day. Bu my last day, it appeared that they were just using what was left over. The fruit was limited and the breakfast sausage appeared to be the same from earlier in the week...just presented in a different form (in sauce). The staff was really friendly. Javier was the best. Always had an answer to a question or concern. The location was ok.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Shirley G, Manager at Palma Real Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Mr / Ms

Greetings from the Palma Real Hotel & Casino staff..

In advance , we appreciate your comments on Trip Advisor , it is important for us and so feed back the expectations of our guests.

Be sure I will recheck your comment with our Chef in order to improve our options during the breakfast time.

Please be more than welcome back and contact me in our next visit to San Jose, Costa Rica.

Best regards and thanks again

Carlos Ruiz Ruz

Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 4 days for our trip around costa rica. Super friendly and helpful staff. Only complaints is staying in room facing main road. We had to deal with noise from people hanging outside in front of the casino and getting woken up by delivery trucks in the morning. They have free breakfast buffet but it wasnt very good. Also location is not the greatest.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Shirley G, Manager at Palma Real Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Mr/ Mrs :

Greattings from the Palma Real Hotel & Casino team , hoping you are well.

Thanks you for your comments on Trip Advisor, it is important for us so we get feedback from our guests expectations. Thanks for your comment of the noise and be sure I will recheck this detail.

Our attention is personalized and will be watching, to provide an excellent service and keep this standard all the time.

Hope to serve you in the near future

Best regards,