“Great hostel in San Jose”
Review of Hostel Bekuo

Hostel Bekuo
Jacksonville, Florida
“Great hostel in San Jose”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Hostel Bekuo is a great choice for those passing through San Jose or staying for longer to enjoy the city. It is located in Los Yoses, which is a safe and convenient location. It is close to the University and lots of bars and restaurants, and a 20 minute walk downtown. The owner and the hostel staff are super friendly and very helpful. They helped my girlfriend and I navigate transportation, good food recommendations, and fun activities around the city. The free pancake and fruit breakfast is also pretty amazing. The kitchen is well stocked, with any pot or pan you could possibly need to cook. They even have a juicer! Best hostel kitchen I've seen. We stayed in both the dorm rooms and private rooms. All rooms are spacious and kept really clean. Lots of chill areas with nice TV and DVDs if you're into that, along with two computers for guess use, and an assortment of games and a pool table. Overall, it was a great stay.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
becauseiamhappy, Owner at Hostel Bekuo, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Hey There,

Thank you so much for your words... Thank you for detailing some specifics that you liked about Bekuo. You inspired me to start using the juicer again. Today it was spinach, apple, carrot and ginger.

We pride ourselves on a great staff who do their best to make sure that the hostel is clean at all times. Costumer service, and cleanliness...two very important aspects to any hostel. Anyway, if your Tripadvisor name indicates who I think you are, then you'll be coming back through this way soon.

Travel safely,
Becauseiamhappy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This has been one wonderful experience, staying at Hostel Bekuo. There was an immediate homely and comforting impression when I arrived, rooms filled with colourful, art and inspirational messsages all over the place!! I could live here. it felt like the next place to home. The staff are so caring, welcoming and fun and know all the great, quirky places to go and experience-from music to art to farmers markets! it was bliss for me and for anyone else who likes this kinda thing! a great commitment to all things eco, which was the cherry on top of the cake!! Thank you , I reccomend this to the lovers of the Earth! I hope to return soon!

Room Tip: I stayed in the female room the whole time, which was comfy, quite and clean! perfect for sleeping...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Awwwww!!! We all miss you so much already! I'm glad you arrived safely back to England. It was a pleasure to have you stay at the hostel. I hope that your studies continue as you plan, and if you ever decide to take a break, just come on back, and we'll take care of you.

You're the Best,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

So glad we found this place to stay in San Jose. The dorm rooms were clean and comfortable with a large bathroom, and the communal spaces were really pleasant to hang around in. Brian and all the staff were really friendly and welcoming. On our first morning there Brian initiated a trip to a local organic market for breakfast and snacks. Really interesting visit and we would never have found it by ouselves. Shame we´re leaving tonight as they are hosting a bbq for the superbowl, which would have been a lot of fun!! Hostel location is good too, lots of food options nearby, and the kitchen is well equipped if you´re cooking for yourself. Plus, only a 6 dollar ride to the bus stations in Central San Jose. Great value, loved it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
becauseiamhappy, Owner at Hostel Bekuo, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Wow!!! That is an awesome Tripadvisor name...

I had a blast hanging out with you guys, and yes, it was a shame that you had to leave. La Feria Verde (the organic market, in Barrio Aranjuez) is a perfect way to start a Saturday morning. Thank you for going with me. Although the game was one of the worst ever, we had an amazing bbq...great people, killer food, and a menu of liquid relaxers. Hope to see you soon.

Untl,
Mainz, Germany
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We booked the Hostel because it had so many good recommandations, but for me it was not really the right choice. The rooms were okay, though not very clean - and the "double bed" had more of a self-build construction. But our room was located right between the living room section and the kitchen and you could here the music, the tv, every word spoken plus the traffic from the street. I was not really able to sleep very well.

The girl at the reception was very nice and helpful though and the area with billard, sofa and kitchen is a good place to hang out.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CRN2011
Hello and good day,

I am so sorry that you did not sleep well the night that you were at Hostel Bekuo. I know which room you are talking about, and yes, that room can get some crossing sounds sometimes, but our hostel is generally very chill, and not too noisy. We usually turn the music and TV off at 10:30, but as a fellow traveler who needs his sleep, we have strict quiet hours that begin at 11. Any talking after that time takes place in a specific room where others won't be bothered. I'm not quite sure why the words double bed were in quotations, but it's actually larger than a double. Much of our furniture is self-built, and we take pride in that :) Finally, we take pride in keeping the hostel as clean as possible. If your room was not up to your standards, then it wasn't up to ours either, and for that we apologize. Thank you for staying with us.

All The Best,
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I always stay at Hostel Bekuo when I'm in San Jose and love my time there. Carey (sp?) makes perfect pancakes with fresh pineapple every morning which is a great way to start off the day. On my last trip, I even got to try some of her delicious "sock" coffee (which is made by pouring the grounds into a sock, and letting the water drip through into a happy cup below). Also a big fan of the piano, as well as the big scrabble and monopoly tables. Very easy to get downtown as well - just hop on a bus and you're there in less than ten minutes, or you can walk, which takes about 20 or 30 minutes. The mall is also close, where they have a great cheap movie theater. The staff is great, very friendly, helpful, and the overall vibe is very relaxed and comfortable. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Hey there,

Thank you so much for the review. Caryn definitely has some pancake skills in the kitchen, and she's actually been baking a lot since we got our new oven. About 3 times a week she'll prepare some solid treats, and pass them out to whoever is around. We love when people play music at the hostel, so grab the guitar, or sit down at the keyboard and create. Thanks again for choosing Hostel Bekuo, and we will see you in the future :)

Until,
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Warm, welcoming environment. Great atmosphere. Around 20-30 minutes walk to museums and main bus stops. Staff were helpful and considerate. Clean rooms, kitchen, and washrooms. Breakfast consisted of pancakes and fruit. Great value!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
becauseiamhappy, Owner at Hostel Bekuo, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Woot Woot!!!

We love every review that positively reflects our staff (#1), the cleanliness, and the atmosphere of the hostel. We are constantly striving to please everyone. We've got a pretty chill environment, but offer many exciting things to do around town during the day and night. Thanks again...

All the Best,
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 8 December 2013

There's no place like this, safe, clean, near to everything, malls, bars, supermarkets the staff will make you feel better than home, the entire enviroment its so cozy.

It was much more than I could imagine, two hundred percent pleased

I'm looking forward so bad!!!

Thanks a lot,
Ody

Room Tip: the bedroom for ladies has a private bathroom, it's great!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Hey there lady,

I forgot to wish you happy birthday...so HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Please continue to dance flamenco, and come back to Hostel Bekuo, and put on a show. We all had such a good time while you were here, and we hope you come back to visit soon.

Until,