“Warm and Friendly welcome to Costa Rica” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Gioconda House Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Jose
La Gioconda House Hotel
Ranked #29 of 67 San Jose B&B and Inns
Billings, mt
“Warm and Friendly welcome to Costa Rica”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2010

I flew into Costa Rica on my way to Nicaragua. I spent one night at the La Gioconda. Gaby told me about the city and where I could go. I had accidently told her that I wold be there the week after but luckily she had two rooms that I could choose from. It was my first time in Central America and with my limited Spanish speaking skills I was happy to be taken so well taken care of.

Also I was able to get my tickets for the Tica bus right there without having to search the city for the station. It made making my travel arrangements so much easier.

Thanks La Gioconda!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

It was home away from home for me and my daughter on our trip to Costa Rica. It is within walking distance to the museums, cathedral, shopping, theater and restaurants and more for the adventurous tourist. It is accessible for delivery for take out meals.

Best of all, the owners. Vincenzo and Antonella, along with their staff, Gabriela, Ariel, Andres, and Kayla, are warm, congenial and attentive to the needs of their guests. Antonella bought umbrellas for the rainy days, which came in really handy! Ariel made us coffee one evening when we were too tired to go out for dinner and ordered delivered take out. Gabriela lent my daughter a jacket for our tour of Irazu volcano. They were always at the door to greet us coming "home" from a very long day's tour, and were attentive to our needs during breakfast (and at all times, for that matter!).

Other amenities include free use of the internet, a healthy breakfast, cab service to and from the airport, and friendly conversations. They were glad to talk about our explorations and adventures, make suggestions as to tourist areas and places to enjoy food and shop.
La Gioconda Hotel is tastefully decorated with a Mediterranean flair. The bedrooms are comfortably furnished with luxurious beddings and drapes. We highly recommend it to anyone who seeks a “ family” atmosphere while on vacation!

• Stayed August 2010
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2010

The owners of this bed & breakfast made me feel extremely comfortable and at home while I traveled by myself in Costa Rica. The house is located walking distance from all main tourist sites in San Jose, including banks, restaurants and museums. They offer a nice array of breakfast items in the morning and you're welcome to use their computer for internet access, although they have free wifi if you have your own. They have a cat and dog (sheila) that live in the house that are very friendly. The showers in the rooms are very modern, the beds are huge and plush. I'll stay here when I go back to San Jose, alone or with a partner.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2010

We only spent three nights in this friendly house transferring between our trips around Costa Rica. However the experience is unforgettable: very clean, stylish rooms, incredibly friendly Italian owners and their lovely dog :)

I can really recommend it to anyone who wants to stay in a safe and clean house in walking distance to the city centre and good restaurants.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
san francisco bay area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2010

Antoniella is such a stylish and classic lady and when you see her, you see her rooms; when you see her rooms, you can imagine how stylish she is... I forgot her hubby’s name but I called him dustin hoffman…when I told antoniell that her hubby looked like hoffman, she joked: ssshhh, don’t let people know that dustin lives here.... we stayed at the upstairs room, which is very spacious and nicely decorated and very quiet. A small canteen right next to the room allowed me to clean up all the tropical fruits I bought from the market and tasted them one by one (some are very strange). A computer in the canteen allowed me to quickly delete all useless emails accumulated during my trip to the jungles at the Caribbean coast…very nice and helpful staff. Yummy breakfast. Very convenient location (10 to 15 mins walk to the center of the town) and very safe…if we come back to San Jose, we will be back again and we are very happy to have found La Gioconda. Antoniella showed me the other rooms which are absolutely spectacular and romantic but I wouldn’t mind the upstairs room again to have all the 2nd floor to ourselves. Any room is a good room in La Gioconda.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2010

This hotel has a excellent staff and a cozy feel. When I arrived, I was greeted personally by Antonella, the owner, and I received excellent, personal service the entire time I was there. She and the staff went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable and had everything I needed. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
Göteborg, Sverige
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2010

We just loved the place from the moment we arrived.
Antoniella gave us a warm welcome. She is very friendly and helpful, as is all of the people working at la gioconda.
When she showed us our room, romeo & julietta, we were truly amazed! It is by far the most charming room we stayed in ever. It was a great place to start our four weeks in costa rica.
We returned on our way back home and stayed one more night this time in the casablanca room wich was just as tastfully furnished and lovely.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple