“Great place, great location, great owners.”

La Gioconda House Hotel
Ranked #28 of 67 San Jose B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Great place, great location, great owners.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

We stayed two nights at the end of our trip to Costa Rica and it was a perfect way to finish our trip. The place is by walking distance to the downtown and the markets (we're talking less than 15 min) and is very quiet and cosy. The staff was very nice and helpfull and the rooms had a nice style. The breakfast was great and the eating room is really charming. Great place, I highly recommand it!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

We stayed for a few nights at La Gioconda, at the beginning and the end of our Costa Rica-trip. That short time made a lasting impression on us. Every room has its own theme and is decorated with care en creativity. But this hotel is not only beautiful and comfortable, it makes you forget you're far away from home. The owners, staff and pets create an informal, personal atmosphere, that makes all guests feel at ease. Owner Antonella and receptionist Ariel went out of their way to help us and also offered great traveladvice. And when we came back after three weeks, we were welcomed like old friends returning home. If you go to San José, be sure to spend some time at La Gioconda!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2011

My first stay at this hidden gem was everything needed, in regard to my usual stay at the typical spots. the La Gioconda allow me to have a 2 week getaway with the most Beautiful Woman in Costa Rica, My Miss Costa Rican,lol, I love the location,a lot of restaurants and about a good mile walk from downtown or the mall depending on the directions you take.
The staff was excellent and the owners treated me and my lady like family.
i recommend this place as a romantic and cozy spot.its secured safe and gated,with Shelia the great watchdog.I'm looking forward to my next visit in the next few months.This place is worth the price.Thank you for the great service, La Gioconda!
KEN

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Genève
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2011

Rooms and bathrooms: all different but comfortable and beautiful. We felt at home, with a nice staff and friendly hosts. Delicious breakfast. The only bad side: the noise, because the hotel is next to a very busy road.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2010

This was such a great place to stay, the room are beautiful and Gabriela is the best. We stayed one night and at the last minute decided to come back and stay another. She was so helpful and when we go back this will be our first place to stay. It's was only a 10 minute walk to downtown and all the museums.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Altamonte Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2010

I chose this lovely hotel because of the positive reviews. I tried to do my research, since I was a solo traveler. I let the hotel staff know via email that I was coming for my birthday, and they surprised me with a beautiful card in my hotel room upon coming back from a tour. I was also surprised by my first tourguide with a birthday cake =) They wanted nothing but for me to have a memorable birthday/vacation, and they did not let me down. My trip was planned from the time I got off the plane until I left. The staff was truly amazing and made my visit extraordinary. The hotel is very beautiful and peaceful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank mmm1970
Billings, mt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2010

I flew into Costa Rica on my way to Nicaragua. I spent one night at the La Gioconda. Gaby told me about the city and where I could go. I had accidently told her that I wold be there the week after but luckily she had two rooms that I could choose from. It was my first time in Central America and with my limited Spanish speaking skills I was happy to be taken so well taken care of.

Also I was able to get my tickets for the Tica bus right there without having to search the city for the station. It made making my travel arrangements so much easier.

Thanks La Gioconda!