“TOILETS!”

Casa Yoses Hostel
Lugano, Switzerland
“TOILETS!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Casa Yoses because Bekuo, the hostel down the street, was full. The guy at the front desk was great, the beds were comfortable, the food overpriced and the showers did have hot water, but, the toilets didn't flush... The entire time we were there. This is definitely an issue when there are 15 people sharing one bathroom. I don't recommend it.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Good location - within walking distance to many good restaurants. Also offers free wifi on the computers in the lobby. The kitchen is great - just a little dirty at times because people don't do their dishes (EWWWWW). The girl at the front desk was new and a little clueless. It was also annoying that there was a $5 deposit on the towels. They can organize a cab to pick you up and take you to the airport for $30 for two people then each additional person is $7. It's about a 30 minute ride to the airport from here. What really bothered me was how rude some of the people staying there were - there were about 6 people sleeping in a dorm room and some guy came in and turned the light on for 15 minutes while he counted his money and got ready for bed. I really expected that people would be aware of others sleeping but I guess some are just selfish. Also there are very few bathrooms which could get very annoying! I didn't have a problem because I arrived late but I only saw a men's and a woman's single bathroom - each with toilets, sinks and showers so it wasn't like multiple people could use the facilities at once.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

As we were landing late into San Jose this seemed like a good place to stay as it seemed like a sociable place.

I got an email after making a reservation for a shuttle from the airport for $30 but I figured that a taxi would cost the same price and it saved us waiting for a shuttle at 10pm. If you are going in the day then it is probably worth getting the shuttle as traffic can make the meter go up.

The beds were comfortable in the room. I could hear music from a nearby bar but I'm a light sleeper.

There were only 2 showed for the hostel if you were in dorms which weren't really well kept. The shower wouldn't work well and I only found hot water to be on when I went to the bathroom once at 2pm.

The staff were generally helpful at but not overly happy if you disturb them.

I was a bit disappointed the bar wasn't utilised well but there was a pool table and foosball table.

It was ok but that's just it. The price was reasonable with the free breakfast thrown in. The kitchen was kept clean and tidy. Not to far a walk from San Jose itself and is a nice little walk with a market and park on the way.

I would probably stay elsewhere if I return to San Jose.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cahuita, Costa Rica
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

I really liked Casa Yoses because it has a nice atmosphere and offers much (big kitchen, pancake breakfast, big bathrooms) for little money, However, I have to criticize their dealing with theft. When I stayed there, stuff was stolen from my bed (my expensive retainer and sleeping gear that I had left in my bed as a signal that someone sleeps there - I mean who steals that???) and when I arrived someone else was sleeping in my bed. The theft is not the hostels fault but it was terrible how they dealt with it. I asked for help immediately and we looked at the bed and surroundings but the staff was to lazy to ask other employees right away. I had to leave on that day but left my number and a message about the theft. Noone ever called. When I called them the next time, the receptionist didn't know anything about the theft and I had to tell her everything over again. The next week I visited again and again noone had given my notice to the next shift! This hostel is in itself really nice but when it comes to caring about their visitors a littel mor they really fail.

Room Tip: The dorm is good but directly at the street so it is possible that you wake up from the sound of car...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anonymous A

Travellers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Santa Cruz, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

I have stayed at Casa Yoses a couple of times over the past two years, and each time that I arrived, the hostel had completely changed from the previous time. Overall, I would say that it has improved from the first time that I stayed, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. Each time that I have stayed, there was only two working bathrooms (including the showers) in the whole hostel, which is a problem in the mornings when everyone is using them. Management should put more in. That said the hostel has never been the cleanest and is a little run-down. I would recommend staying someplace else in San Jose.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

When I was volunteering in Costa Rica last year, I flew in and out of San Jose while staying in this hostel both times (once in Jan and once in Feb). It is a nice hostel. The location is in a very safe neighborhood (there are sections of San Jose where it is just stupid to venture on your own... although that is the case with just about every city). The staff were very friendly as well as the staff in the independent restaurant that is connected to the hostel. I stayed in 2 rooms and they had their trade offs. The one by the front yard is very quiet but it doesn't have a private bathroom. The one in the back by the pool table has a private bathroom but it is against a bar with loud music (this is only a problem on weekends). Frankly, I was comfortable with both rooms (there are others but I haven't ventured into them). The only thing that gave me a bit of a headache was the group of Peace Corps volunteers out on their weekend leave. They were obnoxiously loud, culturally insensitive, conversation topics that make you roll your eyes, and they destroyed a few of the toilets by flushing toilet paper. Just like the rest of Central America, you never flush toilet paper, it causes backups. I read a few complaints below about bad toilets. I use to work in apartment maintenance. Those toilets are fine but if fellow guests flush toilet paper, you will have problems and plumbers might not be available to respond immediately. All in all, as far as the hostel goes, it was a nice place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
San Pedro, San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

The first night I had in this hostel was great. Room was clean, staff was friendly, and if I had only stayed that night, I would have left a better review. But when I came back with my family a few nights later, I had a worse experience... while my room was fine in terms of cleanliness (I stayed in the all-female dorm), my dad and brother stayed in a two-person private room. It was VERY loud for them all night and the room wasn't very clean. However, what concerned me most was that I came back late (around 2 a.m. one night) and couldn't get in to the hostel. They don't give you a key to the main gate and instead they have "24-hour staff" that are supposed to buzz you in when you ring the doorbell. I rang the doorbell multiple times and no one answered. I yelled up to the hostel and no one answered. Luckily, I had a friend come wait with me outside until someone finally buzzed me in after 30 minutes of me ringing the bell, but I was not crazy about the fact that I almost had to wait outside on the streets of San Pedro alone (as a small, white gringa) because no one was awake to let people in. When I got inside, it smelled VERY strongly of pot, which probably explained why it took 30 minutes of ringing a very loud bell for the guy to buzz me in.

All that said, it was overall a very pleasant stay, and I don't want to say that it's a bad hostel based on one experience that I had that was hopefully a fluke. The staff is very friendly, and they have an adorable cat that lives there. Just be careful and maybe have a backup plan if you're going to stay out late.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family