“Impressive”

Casa Yoses Hostel
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Impressive”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We picked here because it was in a safe neighbourhood, and hadn't too high expectations.

But its half a dollar on the bus into town, close to a mall. Rooms were clean and staff helpful. We extended our stay.

Biggest downside was that some rooms get a lot of noise from the communal areas - if you enjoy early nights request accordingly

• Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Newcastle
Reviewed 19 August 2014

In a fairly busy part of Los Yoses/San Pedro, San Jose. It's a good place to stay, Not far from bus routes into the city, or takes about 20 minutes to walk to downtown San Jose. There are plenty of bars and restaurants around and about. The place itself is quite big and always busy. I stayed in mixed dorm rooms both times I stayed here. One was upstairs and one downstairs. If I had a bit of advice, it would be that the rooms upstairs were quieter as this is not a quiet hostel. Breakfast was good enough. Usually pancakes and cereal. The people were friendly as were the staff and the place was clean. Pretty much as you would expect for a hostel of it's size and location.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms upstairs.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sharkycj
Carolina, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed there for five nights. The hostel was great. It is close to the center of San José (just a 2 minutes bus ride.) Luis and Liam (manager and front desk) were very helpful. They helped me book a tour and even order a pizza. The people that stayed there was awesome. Many of them were experienced backpackers so they were giving tip to us. The backyard is great for spontaneous get-togethers. It is very clean and big, so you have enough space for yourself. I definitely recommend this hostel if you are in San José!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sergiomarbel
Lugano, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Casa Yoses because Bekuo, the hostel down the street, was full. The guy at the front desk was great, the beds were comfortable, the food overpriced and the showers did have hot water, but, the toilets didn't flush... The entire time we were there. This is definitely an issue when there are 15 people sharing one bathroom. I don't recommend it.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Good location - within walking distance to many good restaurants. Also offers free wifi on the computers in the lobby. The kitchen is great - just a little dirty at times because people don't do their dishes (EWWWWW). The girl at the front desk was new and a little clueless. It was also annoying that there was a $5 deposit on the towels. They can organize a cab to pick you up and take you to the airport for $30 for two people then each additional person is $7. It's about a 30 minute ride to the airport from here. What really bothered me was how rude some of the people staying there were - there were about 6 people sleeping in a dorm room and some guy came in and turned the light on for 15 minutes while he counted his money and got ready for bed. I really expected that people would be aware of others sleeping but I guess some are just selfish. Also there are very few bathrooms which could get very annoying! I didn't have a problem because I arrived late but I only saw a men's and a woman's single bathroom - each with toilets, sinks and showers so it wasn't like multiple people could use the facilities at once.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

As we were landing late into San Jose this seemed like a good place to stay as it seemed like a sociable place.

I got an email after making a reservation for a shuttle from the airport for $30 but I figured that a taxi would cost the same price and it saved us waiting for a shuttle at 10pm. If you are going in the day then it is probably worth getting the shuttle as traffic can make the meter go up.

The beds were comfortable in the room. I could hear music from a nearby bar but I'm a light sleeper.

There were only 2 showed for the hostel if you were in dorms which weren't really well kept. The shower wouldn't work well and I only found hot water to be on when I went to the bathroom once at 2pm.

The staff were generally helpful at but not overly happy if you disturb them.

I was a bit disappointed the bar wasn't utilised well but there was a pool table and foosball table.

It was ok but that's just it. The price was reasonable with the free breakfast thrown in. The kitchen was kept clean and tidy. Not to far a walk from San Jose itself and is a nice little walk with a market and park on the way.

I would probably stay elsewhere if I return to San Jose.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I really liked Casa Yoses because it has a nice atmosphere and offers much (big kitchen, pancake breakfast, big bathrooms) for little money, However, I have to criticize their dealing with theft. When I stayed there, stuff was stolen from my bed (my expensive retainer and sleeping gear that I had left in my bed as a signal that someone sleeps there - I mean who steals that???) and when I arrived someone else was sleeping in my bed. The theft is not the hostels fault but it was terrible how they dealt with it. I asked for help immediately and we looked at the bed and surroundings but the staff was to lazy to ask other employees right away. I had to leave on that day but left my number and a message about the theft. Noone ever called. When I called them the next time, the receptionist didn't know anything about the theft and I had to tell her everything over again. The next week I visited again and again noone had given my notice to the next shift! This hostel is in itself really nice but when it comes to caring about their visitors a littel mor they really fail.

Room Tip: The dorm is good but directly at the street so it is possible that you wake up from the sound of car...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends